Wiki Posts
Search

question on buying my 1st .21.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default question on buying my 1st .21.

I am getting ready to buy my 1st .21 size mill, what is the difference in performance and application between # of ports 3,5,7, ect? It will be going in a truggy for the rest of the summer and a buggy in the spring. Pipe combos also and I unfortunatly only have around $200 for the mill. Also I prefer a mill that is easy to tune because it will only be my 4th nitro engine thanks. And if it matters I do race.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by malik
I am getting ready to buy my 1st .21 size mill, what is the difference in performance and application between # of ports 3,5,7, ect? It will be going in a truggy for the rest of the summer and a buggy in the spring. Pipe combos also and I unfortunatly only have around $200 for the mill. Also I prefer a mill that is easy to tune because it will only be my 4th nitro engine thanks. And if it matters I do race.
Go-Tech. As far as ports go idk.. but in relation to Go's the 3 port sport is pretty beefy on bottom. So much so that it can be un-drivable depending on gearing. Some would say that it doesn't have much top end but I can't even wrap mine out on the track I race at so I think it's plenty.

The Go 3 R apparently has a much smoother delivery but the least bottom end of the 4 engines.

The Go 5 is said to be the best all-around Go, While the Go 7 has the most top end.

Mind you, this is all regurgitated info from the boards save for the Go 3 sport which I race with. I've already converted 2 locals over to Go-Tech, guys that were die hard about other engine brands. But once they saw how much 3 sport performed and didn't lose any ground on the high-speed sections, they were hooked.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I am definety thinking GO, the nove 3 port sport, or maybe the Picco 3 ort sport. But the Picco kinda scares me because it is so cheap. I also have been reading alot about the Sportwerks. So the more ports the more top end?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by malik
Yeah I am definety thinking GO, the nove 3 port sport, or maybe the Picco 3 ort sport. But the Picco kinda scares me because it is so cheap. I also have been reading alot about the Sportwerks. So the more ports the more top end?
Not exactly, that just seems to be the case with Go's. If your considering getting a 'sport' 3 port, keep this in mind... The Go 3 sport for $125 is on par with any $180- $190 italian sport engine.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In general the lower the ports the less top end it will have. Also in some cases the lower port motors gives more bottom end punch also. So if your running on a track that is fairly open you probably want a 5 or 7 port, if your running on a fairly tight track look for a 3 port. I personally like 5 port motors they seem to work good in all conditions, but thats just my opinion.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't cut yourself short on perfprmance, the GO sport 3 is very good, but the race 3 has more than enough bottom and top, that is all i have been racing with, the race 3 and it will get the job done, get a feel for .21 engines this year and go to stronger power like the 5 or 7 port GO once you get the hang of things, they are solid performers.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Ok would the 3 or 5 port race be enough power for a truggy? It will be in 1 for the rest of this year and into a buggy in the spring. What pipe or pipes do you recommend, and the better the price the better for me.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Wink Might consider a different engine...

For truck it is all about grunt. A .21 in the economy range will not hold water to a good .26. The Sportworks .26 V2 will blow the doors off the .21s mentioned here. They are $140 after you put a back plate on them. Ran one at the nats last year and did not give up any horse power or run time. The motor sounds like it is hardly working. We have then ran to the 10 gallon mark before a rebuild which is good for any engine.
Get this one ad you will just want to leave it in your truck. Run a Dynamite 053 pipe and it will fly. You will be right at the $200 mark for the whole setup.
When you get your buggy you can then shop a .21 with confidence and a better idea for the product. Their .21 is a smoker and gets killer run time compaired to the big mills.
You won't be sorry.
TEX
Old 05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

My jp modified .21 and my falcon .21 would both smoke a sportwerks .26! On the low,mid and high they would eat that motor alive.

He is right though sportwerks motors do run well and are very affordable but I STRONGLY disagree about it being able to over power either of the .21's I have.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Red face Wow....

Thought we were talking sub $200 mills. Sure I can put a high end race engine in and haul the mail. However in the catagory we were talking about the SW .26 is very formidable. You get the pipe as well for that price.
Pretty hard to beat and definitly an easy mill to live with.
Price not being an option??.....RB C6 BB T7 with 2045 and the long header. Modded for run time, I'll take it to the bank.
TEX
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is a no brainer. For a truggy and later a buggy, I would go with the GO 5 port.

I have a 7 port on a buggy and that thing screams. I am thinking about getting the 5 port too for slightly smaller technical tracks since that thing has a ton of bottom yet very good top end too. Great overall engine!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks everyone, I am probably going to get rid of the truggy in the spring to get the buggy unless I hit the lottery. Thats why I am having trouble with my decision. I have heard the sportwerks .21 is a beast but the .26 is pretty much out of the question since I probably wont be able to have 2 nitro's at once. The reason I am wanting to switch to buggy is the class is two to three times the size of truggy, besides that I love my trug. So the sportwerks .21 isnt enough for a truggy? What I like from what I hear about it is its easy tuning and reliability, but I saw it for like $180 and I am guessing the GO 5R is a more powerful mill and a similar price. Why is the price between the SW .21 and .26 more for the .21? And if the price I said is too much where is it cheaper?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

+2 on the SW .26, raced today with it and it ran flawless no flameouts or anything. It will hold its own against higher end motors. I had only one or two trucks pullin on me on the big straight
Old 05-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The number of intake ports in an engine have their function if the case will support the additional ports. You will see on alot of engines that they will have 5 or 7 ports but no transfer dividers to accelerate/decelerate the air flow between the ports. Therefore the motor will act closer to a 3 port than a 5 or 7. For example, an S7 has the 2 transfer ports and the transfer window in the sleeve but has no dividers in the transfers to create a low/high pressure situation therefore the motor will act in a 3 port manner.

What the advantage is with a multiple port transfer on a 3 port case is use the additional ports to help with entry angle into the chamber. The transfer window will help with transfer fill and the port divider can help with entry angle. People most commonly refer to the lower ports as torque motors and higher port motors as rpm motors is because for the most part, 3 port motors have always been used as entry level motors and the port timing has been lower which decreases blowdown timing, increasing power stroke distance (depending on stroke of engine) which results in increased torque with lower rpm range. The 5+ port motors typically have higher exhaust port timing which will increase blowdown, decrease power stroke so they will generally have less torque with a higher rpm range. Now on the other hand, the V-spec is a 3 port motor with higher exhaust port and crank intake timing than most engines and thats why it performs the way it does. So the number of ports is not as critical to the engines performance as is the intake and exhaust timing.

As far as finding a motor that will work for you, there are a few choices for you in your price range. If you want a .21 I would go with a Novarossi N21B from Amainhobbies for $159 and get it modded by me or another reputable engine modder. The RB concepts S5 works decent for a stock motor and you can find them online for $210-$220 if you look hard enough. I personally run Picco P3-28's for $180 and they work good stock and work even better modded. I did few sportwerks .21 and .26's and they work very well and you can get them all day long for under $150. There are a few more choices out there and it really comes down to what you have to spend and if there is an engine brand you prefer. Otherwise there are some good choices out there from most brands so check things out and make a decision based on what you want.