Wiki Posts
Search

Picco P-3 Running problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Picco P-3 Running problem

I think I posted this in the wrong forum so I will post it here. It said onroad-nitro engine before so any mods please delete that one! Here goes....

I have a Picco P-3 that I cannot get the rpms to come down off of jumps. It is real bad. I have about 20 tanks on it and only leaned out the top end about a half turn from out of the box. It ran great till about the 10th tank and then did this. I sealed the whole engine (backplate, carb and where carb goes into the case). Also tried another carb and still did it. I had this problem before on another motor and the LSN was too lean. I leaned out the LSN 2.5 turns from where it was out of the box (never touched it before this time) and it still did it. NO change at all. I went to check with the manual to see where the needles are supposed to be and found my HSN to be 4 turns out when the manual said 3-3.5 turns and the LSN was only 6 turns out when the manual said 10.5-11.5 turns out!!! And I was 6 turns out included the 2.5 I just did. The LSN is sticking out of the slide about 1/8 inch. Is that normal. I have not run it this way yet as I took the motor out I was so frustrated with it. Where do you guys run your LSN's at on this motor? Is it probable that the needles, especially the LSN to be over 6 turns too lean out of the box???? Never saw that before.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Could be front bearing. Otherwise check tank, tank lid, fuel line and filter. Still sounds like a leak somewhere.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Could be front bearing. Otherwise check tank, tank lid, fuel line and filter. Still sounds like a leak somewhere.
I bolted my Axial .28RR up to my K8T and have been running that for 3 weeks with not a single problem so I do not think it is the truck at all. I thought if the front bearing was leaking that you would get alot of dirt built up around it to indicate a sign. The motor was clean everywhere. The main thing is where the LSN needle is set at. I have never seen one set that far out before like the book said turns out.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

LSN needs to be around flush and so does the HSN use a if you have already changed carbs then it's on your car possibly the tank my engine was like that at one time and I check the tank and the tank seemed to be ok but when the truggy got up to temp then it started to hang, changed the tank and no problems since and your idle has alot to do with it also.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

I have the original carb back on it and that is the one that has the LSN sticking out that far. How do you post pics on here and I will take some and post them of the LSN.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

As an aproximate reference, your HSN should be a little bit further in (1mm?) then flush and the LSN 1-2 mm further out then flush.

It is possible that you are running the motor with your LSN extremely ritch, higher idle to compensate , and a very lean HSN that avoids the motor from flooding.

The motor will seem to run more or less ok for a while, but it'll do funny things like what you mentioned. It is also very dangerous because temperature might shoot up abruptly.

Try the carb setting i suggested at the beggining. If it still doesn't improove, look for a leak in the fuel cap, tubes or seal all the motor....