Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Iam always somewhere between zero to half rebound never anymore than half.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoosterFarEye View Post
I recently purchased a TKI3 Spec A buggy and after 2 club races I rebuilt the center and rear diffs and I noted that the bevel gears were worn/chipped and there were metal shavings in the oil. Plenty of oil left in the case. I was surprised given these come prebuilt and inspected.

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

I threw in a new set of gears and we'll see how things look after this weekend
I've had this happen in 2 diffs now. Very strange. Mine are tki3 diffs, not from a spec A
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoosterFarEye View Post
I recently purchased a TKI3 Spec A buggy and after 2 club races I rebuilt the center and rear diffs and I noted that the bevel gears were worn/chipped and there were metal shavings in the oil. Plenty of oil left in the case. I was surprised given these come prebuilt and inspected.

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

I threw in a new set of gears and we'll see how things look after this weekend
I had this happen on my centre diff after 2 runs. Checked the front and rear and thry are fine. Wasnt aware other people having this issue.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by H0LESH0T View Post
I had this happen on my centre diff after 2 runs. Checked the front and rear and thry are fine. Wasnt aware other people having this issue.
Yep it has been happening ever since the MP9 was released. To get around this I put a little thin tyre glue on the inside of the diff case around the centre bushing spreading it evenly as possible over the plastic to the size of the side gear and just enough so it has a smooth surface. Sit it flat somewhere for at least 20 min to dry, clean any excess then assemble diff.

After a few you will be a pro, not getting any in the oring groove, building up to the right level, etc. I have done this for years now and it does help a lot.

You can also remove material from the gasket surface but I was worried about it being uneven afterwards so I use the above method. Another added bonus is the diff casing lasts longer before it develops a oil leak around the centre bushing.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smelly62 View Post
Yep it has been happening ever since the MP9 was released. To get around this I put a little thin tyre glue on the inside of the diff case around the centre bushing spreading it evenly as possible over the plastic to the size of the side gear and just enough so it has a smooth surface. Sit it flat somewhere for at least 20 min to dry, clean any excess then assemble diff.

After a few you will be a pro, not getting any in the oring groove, building up to the right level, etc. I have done this for years now and it does help a lot.

You can also remove material from the gasket surface but I was worried about it being uneven afterwards so I use the above method. Another added bonus is the diff casing lasts longer before it develops a oil leak around the centre bushing.
what about if you used a very thin shim? would that also work?

so based on what your saying by putting a thin layer of glue on the diff case at the bottom where the ring gear sits on lifts it up slightly to give a more compact gear meshing of all the gears once the diff is assembled?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluexile67 View Post
what about if you used a very thin shim? would that also work?

so based on what your saying by putting a thin layer of glue on the diff case at the bottom where the ring gear sits on lifts it up slightly to give a more compact gear meshing of all the gears once the diff is assembled?
Yes thats correct. I tried a thin shim but it distorts and damages the oring.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

you gotta be kidding? you have to gerry rig a $900 car? so much for the quality of this thing. I just bought one and now am thinking i will probably be better off returning it.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Haven't had this issue yet myself and my car has been run hard for 5-6 gallons now. My guess is there is bad batch of gears out there. The Kyosho drive train is about as good as it gets.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

what is Kyosho doing about this via warranty services? are they stepping up and taking care of the customer if they have these issues?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bohdi View Post
you gotta be kidding? you have to gerry rig a $900 car? so much for the quality of this thing. I just bought one and now am thinking i will probably be better off returning it.
Listen, it is $900 car because it is the best. I have never had this issue and I have 4 TKI3's between my son and I. 2 Nitro and 2 E's... Sure, there will be some issues here and there for some people but don't run off to another brand who I promise will have WAY more issues than this. Plus, after you buy al the upgrades you will need, you would have wished you would have just stuck with the best buggy out of the box.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lewis4x4 View Post
Listen, it is $900 car because its made in Japan and the Yen is strong compared to the US dollar
I have 6 diffs. This has happened on 2.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Listen, it is $900 car because it is the best. I have never had this issue and I have 4 TKI3's between my son and I. 2 Nitro and 2 E's... Sure, there will be some issues here and there for some people but don't run off to another brand who I promise will have WAY more issues than this. Plus, after you buy al the upgrades you will need, you would have wished you would have just stuck with the best buggy out of the box.
I heard these cars have all the yum-yum and upgrading is not needed but now I am reading you have to gerry rig the diff case, bad batches of diff gears, boil the a-arms and that is only from reading the last 2 pages
Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I heard these cars have all the yum-yum and upgrading is not needed but now I am reading you have to gerry rig the diff case, bad batches of diff gears, boil the a-arms and that is only from reading the last 2 pages
All I am saying is that I nor anyone I personally know has ever "Boiled A-Arms", had diff case issues or bad gears. In fact, Kyosho is known for it's drive train. The diff don't leak like others and just plain works...

But, you have to believe in what you drive. If you have doubt in the product, then by all means switch. I am just trying to share that you will always hear stuff (Not that it is not true), but that does not mean it is the norm.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

All I am saying is that I nor anyone I personally know has ever "Boiled A-Arms", had diff case issues or bad gears. In fact, Kyosho is known for it's drive train. The diff don't leak like others and just plain works...

But, you have to believe in what you drive. If you have doubt in the product, then by all means switch. I am just trying to share that you will always hear stuff (Not that it is not true), but that does not mean it is the norm.
I am getting a little lazy in replacing my fluids in the diff cases. How often would you say these fluids need to be replaced. The car will be in normal wear and tear.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what is Kyosho doing about this via warranty services? are they stepping up and taking care of the customer if they have these issues?
Their are no problem with the diffs my friend. You can ask any of the local racers I race with....if their was a problem with diffs I would be the first to break them. . I have countless races without even touching the car......run it till it breaks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service