Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Like Tree1Likes

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yep we are running Losi 40-45wt front and 27.5-30wt rear with 1.3x8 and blue springs. Did a few hours testing with the grey springs up front last weekend and we found 42.5wt to be dialed.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah, I ran 42.5/32.5 with 1.2x8 hole pistons w/ light blues and loved it last weekend. Smaller, higher bite track, lap times in the low 20s.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

youre a nut gaffney !!

i like pepsi next with my cap'n

91mm from day 1 for me
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston
youre a nut gaffney !!

i like pepsi next with my cap'n

91mm from day 1 for me
I personally like Pepsi MAX. And yes I am a nut lol, especially when I'm pulling a 16+ hour work day on like 5 hours sleep
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
I respectfully disagree, the shafts don't need to be 92mm. I've never, and I mean never had anything happen in the rear to make me think I needed longer shafts. 93s should come in the kit up front, but in all honesty, I run my MP9 TKI3 converted e-buggy with 91s all around and I've yet to pop anything or break drive-line parts.

+1

Been running 91's all around in both my Nitro and Electric TkI3's without 1 pop-out.. 91's even as far back as 2008 in my TKI1. Shimming the shaft right is key. 2-3 shims on the shaft "in-side" of the hub.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Afun
After reading Neobuggy for several days, it looks like this worlds may be the worst ever. We could still hope for good competition, but its lacking the enthusiasm and interest 1/8th usually brings. I know Thailand put on a good show two years ago. Thailand on the other hand, has RC manufacturing and are heavy into the hobby. How did Argentina get picked? Serious discussion will begin after this Worlds to where and if the current Ifmar strategy will exist. These companies that sponsor the racers have to get involved and help Ifmar make the right moves. The U.S.A, England, and Italy are all good for RC. Lets keep it simple. This hobby is expensive, and hard for the public eye to see. Lets grow it to the best of our ability. My two cents. I am upset I have not been able to see any live action.
I agree. If our hobby/sport want to hit the mainstream in the near future, we need to have venues that cater to sponsors and racers alike. While its neat to see the races at exotic far off locations, it would better serve the interests of our hobby/sport if we have them here in the States or large world class facilities abroad.

Big time sponsors want eyeballs on their products and are more likely to pony up thousands or tens of thousands of dollars for an event that people can actually attend in droves and watch on TV. Wouldn't it be cool to watch this event on a C type cable channel (e.g. Outdoor TV) while it was sponsored by Red Bull?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

All blocks of ifmar gets to host the worlds and this year was FAMAR's turn. Next worlds will be hosted by EFRA in 2014 followed by ROAR in 2016.

http://www.ifmar.org/
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Did some recent setup testing and was surprised how much I had to move in diff oil wt from the traditional 5-5-3. After some conversation with a trusted "industry" guy, it was pointed out to me that what a lot of the Pro's consider to be rough, loose or bumpy conditions are usually way off from what I typically run on.

I noticed that a lot of the drivers at the worlds are really describing the track as some of the worst (surface condition wise) and bumpiest they have run on. Then I took a good look at the pictures and videos and realized that those track conditions look very similar to what I run on

I know that my final setup after testing was way different in terms of shock and diff oils than any King or Tebo setup you can find; and it works much better for me. Has anyone else come to this epiphany? I kept trying to make one of the Pro's setups work for me, and while I thought they were good for my track conditions, they actually weren't as good as I thought.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34
Did some recent setup testing and was surprised how much I had to move in diff oil wt from the traditional 5-5-3. After some conversation with a trusted "industry" guy, it was pointed out to me that what a lot of the Pro's consider to be rough, loose or bumpy conditions are usually way off from what I typically run on.

I noticed that a lot of the drivers at the worlds are really describing the track as some of the worst (surface condition wise) and bumpiest they have run on. Then I took a good look at the pictures and videos and realized that those track conditions look very similar to what I run on

I know that my final setup after testing was way different in terms of shock and diff oils than any King or Tebo setup you can find; and it works much better for me. Has anyone else come to this epiphany? I kept trying to make one of the Pro's setups work for me, and while I thought they were good for my track conditions, they actually weren't as good as I thought.
So I am guessing you went to a softer setup like orange springs f/r, lighter shock oil and soften it up? That is sort of what they run on a so-called"rough" track?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nv529
All blocks of ifmar gets to host the worlds and this year was FAMAR's turn. Next worlds will be hosted by EFRA in 2014 followed by ROAR in 2016.

http://www.ifmar.org/
Nothing says those rules can't be changed. Read the latest article on Neobuggy.

I think up until about 5 years ago, a worlds type of event was necessary to showcase the best talent in the sport to a large audience. But nowdays, there are plenty of races that are much more well-attended with the same level of competition (Nitro Challenge and Neo come to mind - DNC had 600+ entries last year...yeah, 600+!!!!). They're just not called the worlds. I'm not so sure a true "worlds" is even necessary anymore or even serves a purpose, especially if it can't even be broadcast over the internet or TV without major issues. What kind of ROI are the manufacturers and tire companies getting by winning or participating at an event on a track that's so unique and unlike anything that 95% of their customers run on?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hookem34

Yeah, it's not like the pros setups are a "one size fits all, guaranteed to make you dialed" setup. It's what works best for them, and they are very good to use as a baseline. If you start off with some cockamamy off the wall setup, it's going to be hard to get you dialed in. That's why I always say to start with Codys setup, then adjust small things from there.

I bet you went to thicker diff oils. You want thicker oils on tracks like Speed Paradise to keep the wheels from diff-ing out over the bumps and help keep the car planted in the high speed stuff. I've recently started running 7 in the front and I really like it, it suits me and my style of driving.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mjealey
So I am guessing you went to a softer setup like orange springs f/r, lighter shock oil and soften it up? That is sort of what they run on a so-called"rough" track?
Yes, yes and yes....but Diffs were the real head turner. Finally realized the importance of the larger center diff cup on the MP9 and its effect on the oil viscosity. I had always read about it, but never put it to a real world test...
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
Yeah, it's not like the pros setups are a "one size fits all, guaranteed to make you dialed" setup. It's what works best for them, and they are very good to use as a baseline. If you start off with some cockamamy off the wall setup, it's going to be hard to get you dialed in. That's why I always say to start with Codys setup, then adjust small things from there.

I bet you went to thicker diff oils. You want thicker oils on tracks like Speed Paradise to keep the wheels from diff-ing out over the bumps and help keep the car planted in the high speed stuff. I've recently started running 7 in the front and I really like it, it suits me and my style of driving.
Man you are good Sean Loving 7k up front! BTW you are a big asset to all of us non-pro guys on the forum. Your advice is well thought out and honest.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Cool, thanks a lot Dan, I appreciate that a lot! Just trying to be as honest as I can be, cause I know that's what I'd want to hear. It makes it easy when the car is really really good. But that's also why I run Kyosho in the first place. I'm not getting paid to do this, nor am I a top tier guy, I just really enjoy the sport and remember what it's like to be getting into it and have a ton of questions - it's easy to get side-tracked without some help. Glad to have made a difference!

7k is pretty good up front, not going to lie. But I have only run it at two tracks, Pro-Lines a couple weeks ago (got to see all the new stuff which was really awesome!) and Palm Desert which is really small. I'll have to try it out a few more places and see how I like it on different layouts. Might also go up in the center too and play with the rear camber links some, we'll see.

This past weekend, 3 of the top 4 guys in the Pro A-main were Kyosho - Barry Baker, Cody Smith, and myself, and all of us had a slightly different setup on our cars. Just shows you can make small adjustments to suit your style and still be fast.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (99%+)

Sean we actually have pitted next to each other a few times, you were suppose to drill my front hub carriers for me but I think you got busy at work. Maybe you remember my car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.