Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Like Tree1Likes

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sorry for the delay. high school football game. the Vantage I see with the longer shocks for
me is that I can make a more corner speed definitely good on a bumpy track with sustaining stability
all alone with being able to still push the buggy. I will keep you guys posted or if you want me to try something just let me try it out
Old 09-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hookem34
long rear shock tower? hmmmm....I guess that's possible since I bought this as a used TKI2 roller. How can you tell it's the long tower though?

Edit: Just found a pic of the short rear tower....yep, I have the long one with medium shocks.....ha!
One other thing.... the plastic bushing in the front cap is mounted in wrong direction. The side with more plastic area must be out, or the shocks can pop out.
On rear shocks it correct.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
I presume Kyosho France is the cheapest place to order a TKI3? It doesn't give me the option to fill out my billing/shipping address properly. I can only choose from French cities.

Anyone order from them before, or know of a place domestically that sells them a little cheaper?
man i have looked, and i have tried to do the same at the kyosho store. so i went to http://www.infernosonly.com and talk to trever.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jwood7
not sure what kind of track you run on but i use codys setup as my base setup. all of tebos and codys setups are very close.
http://www.infernosonly.com/v/vspfil...winder_Win.jpg
it could be that u have to much front brake. that will definatly cause a push. but i would try getting the right piston and oil in the car first
Yes i have 70% brake on front. I will try to get the proper piston first. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
man i have looked, and i have tried to do the same at the kyosho store. so i went to http://www.infernosonly.com and talk to trever.
a few pages back a guy said for country you use etats unis
Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uwiikz
Yes i have 70% brake on front. I will try to get the proper piston first. Thanks.
I really think your brake set up is off... Most guys will run 50/50 to start then add more rear brake to swing the car around corners. I had Adam drake help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WHG...e_gdata_player
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, what is the best body for tki3?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

It depends on the track I found what works best is the stock body for high grip tracks with long corners and the bitty body or new kyosho body for slippery tracks with a lot of 180 corners
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joecool
I really think your brake set up is off... Most guys will run 50/50 to start then add more rear brake to swing the car around corners. I had Adam drake help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WHG...e_gdata_player
70% rear? Jeez; no wonder he doesn't make the A-Mains as much anymore!!! That's crazy! Ty's D8'12 was a brake monster; and he had his setup to 50/50. I myself usually run 50/50 as well; makes for an easier car to drive. Maybe 70/30 is a band-aid to actually make the Losi turn in???

Later,
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Does this Hi Flow body fit on an MP9e with a hardcase 4s lipo?

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=287

THought I'd ask here since this thread seems to be more active than the mp9e thread.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
Does this Hi Flow body fit on an MP9e with a hardcase 4s lipo?

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=287

THought I'd ask here since this thread seems to be more active than the mp9e thread.
I run the mp9 finisher on my ebuggy, it fits very nice and even clears my trakpower 6800 pack. Cab foreward is the only way to go anymore
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Gotcha...I'm just wondering if the Hi Flow will fit. I ordered one without thinking.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uwiikz
You will have a bunch of push into any off power tight turn with that much front brake. Try 50/50 at first. Mine is 40/60 (front/rear). The more rear brake, the better the turn in.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smelly62
One thing you could expect is to fail tech inspection There are other ways to reduce the rear traction if you find you have too much with the narrow hubs.

Just use the stock fuel system with the fuel line going around the front body mount like the team drivers and you should be fine.

As for the clutch King, Tebo and I'm sure other team drivers use the stock Kyosho clutch. There are many options eg for more shoe grip use the blue shoes. The silver shoes are the go imo and with the right spring combo (eg 2 x 1.1 and 1 x 1mm spring) these clutches are awesome.
We were at a big race where there was a ton of traction and runtime was an issue. We were running 46/13 gearing with 1.1 springs with blue shoes to get the holeshot we needed but 7 mins was the best we could do. Anyway after going to 48/14 gearing and changing the springs to 1mm with silver shoes we gained over a minute runtime and were able to do 7.5 min pitstops with ease in the 1 hour final.

Be good to your Mother and she will let you stay up all night building the car

I'm intrigued as we have never bent or broke any centre shafts although the front do wear fast.

Nice

I found some IP 2700 lipo hump packs at RC Mushroom for 18 bucks the other day. They are exactly the same size as protec 2300's.

I like to shim as tight as possible with the stock Kyosho clutch as the bell butts up to the flywheel and one should always try to have as much of the shoe covered by the bell as possible. I use the large shim supplied along with a 5 x 8 x .1mm shim just to keep the outer race of the bearing off the large shim and then shim to suit on the outer bearing so there is around 1/4mm free play. Doing this you won't have any problems. I have done it this way for years.

Front looks like normal but it looks like you have a TKI1 tower on the back so there is your problem.
Originally Posted by Eivind E
Q: "Should you be able to move the clutch bell (Play) or should it be shimmed so there is no play?"

A:
You should always allow for 0.5mm of movement (play), or more if required.

What happens if you leave no play is there's expansion when it heats up, then the bearings will overheat and selfdestruct, and then your clutchbell will wobble about and ultimately grind all it's teeth off. I've had it happen myself even when there was some play - just not enough, it needs to be more than 0.5mm and even up towards 1mm.
Thanks for all the good info and tips. I found the fault, I had forgotten to add the three little clutch shoe shims [125] So Ive cleaned the clutch parts rebuilt it and it seems to be butter smooth, so bring on the weekend and good weather!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

This MP9 thread is probably one of the most intelligently-participated ones on RCTech, and thank you for that. Just a scan of the past couple of pages has already taught me much (and now cause me to order some more on AMain!).

I recently acquired a used TKI2 here, put the 1.3x8 white pistons on it with 600-400 cst oils in it, and initially blue springs front and back for a medium grip, rutty, bumpy, technical track. After running it that way, I found that it got a bit too unsettled on the ruts, and had a bit of understeer. I changed the springs to greens, but also changed the stabs to 2.8 front and 2.5 rear for the A main. After starting 4th on the grid, I managed to take the lead in the first lap, which I held for about 20 minutes, which I also managed without once needing to be marshalled. After thinking what a glorious run it would be to win the A main on my first full drive of the K car, alas, I jinxed myself, turned over, marshal took to long to pick me up, and I flamed out.

Got back out, but by that time was chasing, and managed to break the rear universal (broke right through), ran down got that replaced in about 2 minutes, had the left rear hinge pin come out (rear diff case threads for the long screws holding the rear bracket were already worn out, causing the bracket to come out), fixed that in 3 minutes, came back out to finish the race.

Well, it was a second hand car, but it sure felt great! Needless to say, I've now got a new TKI3 on the way (is AMain a publicly listed company?), and I'd like to thank (blame for my recent poverty) BenP, CJ, and the McBrides for making me a believer of the K.

Questions:

- are the usual pro set-ups good for this type of track too?
- what can be used to replace the drive pins, which are 2.9mm as opposed to the usual 3mm ones?
- are 2.8/2.5 sways just right for this car? I'm used to a serpent for which this would be way too much.
- is a frog's ass watertight?

CaptainHowdyt13: I emailed the French Kyosho store about ordering from the Philippines which isn't on their drop down menu, and they replied promptly that they'll address my situation. I'm sure if you drop them a note they'll reply quickly as well.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.