Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Like Tree1Likes

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

KICK-UP
Kick-up is the angle between the ground and the lower inner hinge pins on which the suspension arms swing. Altering kick-up will affect the car much like caster does. In addition, adding kick-up will make your bump higher and further. You should only consider decreasing kick-up when the track has few or no jumps.

Just thought I'd add the following as the above is perhaps not the greatest explanation of what kick-up does.

Kick-up refers to the hinge-pin angle relative to horizontal plane of the chassis. If the hinge-pins are parralel then this is zero kick-up. Raising the front or lowering the rear of the hinge-pins gives positive kick-up. In a similar way to how anti-squat affects how much the rear of the car squats under acceleration, kick-up affects how much the car dips under breaking and cornering.

By making kick-up more positive/front higher, this reduces the amount the front will dip and therefore less weight transfer. This also increases caster and camber during cornering.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
adjusting your skid angle smooths out the steering but has a negative effect on jumping big jump sections will be hard to clear.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
what tires/compound are you running and what's the track surface like? tires are the most important aspect of your setup, and you need to get the compound right to take advantage of the pin design. always start with tires first...this time of year with the weather the way it is, you should be running an M3 or M4 compound depending on the track surface/weather conditions.
m3 holeshots is what i was running track is good but a little slick at times and can get a little dust on it
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default How abiut MP9 Fuel Tank Spring?

Originally Posted by talho
Tank lid o-ring is ORG18/pack of three.

Tommi
Tommi.

Thanks a million. Would have never found that part number!!!!!!!!!

Any idea what part number the spring is?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Front / rear diff gasket

Hi all

Does anyone know if there is a part number for just the front / rear diff gasket, the only thing I can find the gasket comes with a case, I found the center diff gasket pack of 5, but it is a different size.

Regards
Gary
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GSM Storm
Hi all

Does anyone know if there is a part number for just the front / rear diff gasket, the only thing I can find the gasket comes with a case, I found the center diff gasket pack of 5, but it is a different size.

Regards
Gary
this is what you need m8.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Case-Gasket-5

no: KYOIF30-1

adir
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aaron125

KICK-UP
Kick-up is the angle between the ground and the lower inner hinge pins on which the suspension arms swing. Altering kick-up will affect the car much like caster does. In addition, adding kick-up will make your bump higher and further. You should only consider decreasing kick-up when the track has few or no jumps.

Just thought I'd add the following as the above is perhaps not the greatest explanation of what kick-up does.

Kick-up refers to the hinge-pin angle relative to horizontal plane of the chassis. If the hinge-pins are parralel then this is zero kick-up. Raising the front or lowering the rear of the hinge-pins gives positive kick-up. In a similar way to how anti-squat affects how much the rear of the car squats under acceleration, kick-up affects how much the car dips under breaking and cornering.

By making kick-up more positive/front higher, this reduces the amount the front will dip and therefore less weight transfer. This also increases caster and camber during cornering.
I just wanted to clarify a couple things... the caster angle includes the kickup, so in terms of the MP9, you have 21 degrees caster when you run the c-hub bushing in the zero position (middle) 22 with plus one, and 20 with minus one.. also, more kick-up makes the car dive MORE on braking, not less. If you want less dive, you can reduce kick-up and increase caster angle to get the steering response you want.. my .02
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop
I just wanted to clarify a couple things... the caster angle includes the kickup, so in terms of the MP9, you have 21 degrees caster when you run the c-hub bushing in the zero position (middle) 22 with plus one, and 20 with minus one.. also, more kick-up makes the car dive MORE on braking, not less. If you want less dive, you can reduce kick-up and increase caster angle to get the steering response you want.. my .02

I have heard this refered to as is antidive (aka kickup) but seems to be the opposite as the rear,,,,,, I guess its because its on the opposite end ????

Scott
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shinnbad12
I have heard this refered to as is antidive (aka kickup) but seems to be the opposite as the rear,,,,,, I guess its because its on the opposite end ????

Scott
It has to do with the geometry of both the upper and lower arms in the front, and where their centerlines intersect each other in relation to the wheel center and the ground plane. This point of intersection is referred to as the side view swing arm and affects the spring rate of the front suspension. The technical term is referred to as anti-dive, as full size cars don't have "kickup". The rc term is kickup, but more kickup doesn't mean more anti-dive. All you really need to know is what PK said, and to test it, go back to his roll center example of putting the car on the street and testing the most kickup, then the least kickup, and see how the car handles under a hard brake.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drstrangelove
Are you using them mate? or you using the tki2 chassis?
I'm running the TKI2 chassis. I've run the TKI before but the 2 is better through the bumps and gives me a more confident feel. I brought a TKI chassis w/ me to DNC as I planned on the track being high bite and smooth and that's when I'd run the TKI chassis, but the TKI2 chassis felt so good and my MP9 was awesome, I never even thought about changing the chassis. In fact, I don't think I made any changes to my buggy all week, except different tires once.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Default It was past my bedtime.

Of course more kick-up means more diving under brakes, etc., I meant what you said but it came out the opposite of what I was trying to say... it was just before 2a.m. when I made that post so, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for that Mr King.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shinnbad12

Scott
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
The technical term is referred to as anti-dive, as full size cars don't have "kickup". The rc term is kickup, but more kickup doesn't mean more anti-dive. All you really need to know is what PK said, and to test it, go back to his roll center example of putting the car on the street and testing the most kickup, then the least kickup, and see how the car handles under a hard brake.
more kick-up makes the car dive MORE on braking, not less. If you want less dive, you can reduce kick-up
Actually, front kick-up as we use it in off-road RC is pro-dive, not anti-dive, as Mr King alluded to. If the hinge-pins are front down/rear up, that would be anti-dive. Though never seen on an off-road car, pro-dive is actually used sometimes on touring cars in high grip situations.
Attached Thumbnails Inferno MP9 thread-front-kick-up-pro-dive.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default moving right along....

Originally Posted by aaron125
Actually, front kick-up as we use it in off-road RC is pro-dive, not anti-dive, as Mr King alluded to. If the hinge-pins are front down/rear up, that would be anti-dive. Though never seen on an off-road car, pro-dive is actually used sometimes on touring cars in high grip situations.
Hiya Aaron,

Thanks for the clarification. Seriously, Mr. King is not wrong, see:

+ve kickup = -ve prodive
-ve kickup = +ve prodive
0 degree kickup = 0 degree prodive

Same difference.

Just so noobs don't get confused, let's call it kickup in the front and squat in the rear.

+ve antisquat = -ve prosquat
-ve antisquat = +ve prosquat
0 degree antisquat = 0 degree prosquat

pro squat is the same as kickup, but for the rear suspension.

so a car with +ve kickup and +ve prosquat will have your suspension pins look like this from the side view: \ /

+ve kickup and +ve anti squat: \ \

-ve kickup and +prosquat: / /

and so on...

terms are usable interchangeably, as long as you add a +ve or -ve.

confused?

-Alexander
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by foampervert
Hiya Aaron,

Thanks for the clarification. Seriously, Mr. King is not wrong
Ye, I know, that's why I thanked him for pointing out where I was wrong and typed in the opposite of what I was actually trying to say.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
c2k
Tech Initiate

Guys ,

Thanks for the in depth explanation but i am afraid i did not explained myself . In the front tower you can change the upper bushing from H to L or 9. This changes the front upper arm height and angle. and i donīt understand what it does this affect the car handling. I believe that in the L position will affect the front Roll Center and i should gain more front traction . Am i right ???

Attached the eluding setting .

Thanks and Cheers, .
Attached Thumbnails Inferno MP9 thread-front-skid-angle.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.