Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mxtoeknee View Post
My concern isnt the wear of the outdrives, its the shape of them because they are acting as metal sheers and snapping my driveshafts...

T
It's hard for me to give advice without seeing the car, but it sounds like you might need the shorter shaft. Are you using 93mm shafts?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My concern isnt the wear of the outdrives, its the shape of them because they are acting as metal sheers and snapping my driveshafts...

T
Why not file them down a little and that way you'll know for sure if that's the cause of your driveshafts breaking? I've filed mine previously (to get rid of the notches, when on the cheap and swapping from left to right side of the diff) and even with a hand-file it'll only take you a couple of minutes for each outdrive.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

This outdrive issue is a worry and havent ordered my kit yet but committed to it as have a small pile of spares and hopups waiting.
Another racer here has a fairly new WC kit and is only 12 litres old and has snapped about 5 driveshafts and this guy is a dyhard kyosho fan and it cost him in our southisland champs held last weekend and previously he had zero issues with his TKI1 kit and wishes he had not sold it.
I havent seen his outdrives but his driveshafts are snapping at the dog bone.
I have just ordered the cvds for front and rear at $100usd and should I just run with the std outdrives?and keep an eye on them? when I finally get the kit as hoping the longer I leave it the newer kits might have better wearing outdrives and looks like to me there must have been a bad batch and hope they still arent supplying them.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

What aluminum servo horn are folks using. The plastic one is not working for me. I am running ACE servos... I've tried racers edge servo horns and the linkage rubs the top of the servo.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

T
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
It's hard for me to give advice without seeing the car, but it sounds like you might need the shorter shaft. Are you using 93mm shafts?
Im looking at swapping to Kyosho and have been told this is a problem but only if the wrong length driveshafts are used, if the correct ones are in problem goes away.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

may be u guys can give me some set up changes for more rear traction. i have cody kings set up from the worlds thanks. i was thinking of putting 7000 weight oil in the center diff would this help.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pete Martinez View Post
may be u guys can give me some set up changes for more rear traction. i have cody kings set up from the worlds thanks. i was thinking of putting 7000 weight oil in the center diff would this help.
Go down in the center, not up. Also lengthen the camber lengths in the rear and drop to the lower holes on the rear hubs as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
Go down in the center, not up. Also lengthen the camber lengths in the rear and drop to the lower holes on the rear hubs as well.
thanks i will try it
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway View Post
What aluminum servo horn are folks using. The plastic one is not working for me. I am running ACE servos... I've tried racers edge servo horns and the linkage rubs the top of the servo.
Do both steering and throttle rub? Do you have a pic?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick-O View Post
Do both steering and throttle rub? Do you have a pic?

Just the throttle rubs. I'll try to get pics later today... Steering is fine...
Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by slow coach View Post
Im looking at swapping to Kyosho and have been told this is a problem but only if the wrong length driveshafts are used, if the correct ones are in problem goes away.

This is quite incorrect, I used 91 mm in the rear running min tread width. The problem was the outdrives were wearing after 1/2 a gallon causing a ridge in the outdrive where the driveshaft pin sits. When the car flat lands on throttle the driveshaft pin is stuck in the little groove and snap goes the driveshaft. I believe the issue has been fixed as pitpop says, but there would be a lot of tki2's on the shelves with these outdrives.
My fix reccomended was to fit ifw333 rear driveshafts off the 777sp2 which are incedently 92 mm, these are only good in the rear though, and agama outdrives. No more issues.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default MP9

Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
I am running the 93mm in the rear. I think that everyone running a MP9 TKI2needs to internal limit the rear shocks enough that the dog bone does not go into the half moon of the outdrive. That is exactly where mine is snapping, so I am guessing it is simply sheering them off. Its little things like this that can fun suck a race. I am not that guy that dnf's, but fortunately for the competition I did this weekend. I wont next so game face on.

T
Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by underway View Post
Racers Edge alloy twin-bolt for steering. But you're referring to the throttle scraping, aren't you? It's very difficult to find an alloy servo horn which won't scrape because of the way the stock plastic one is setup. But I have seen one brand that would work perfect, but I can't remember the brand. Could have been a german brand, the servo horn was anodized red and I think they only sell red, could perhaps be robitronic, still not sure though. But definitely works as one end is raised quite a bit so that end could be used for brakes and it wouldn't scrape.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by malcnz View Post
This outdrive issue is a worry and havent ordered my kit yet but committed to it as have a small pile of spares and hopups waiting.
Another racer here has a fairly new WC kit and is only 12 litres old and has snapped about 5 driveshafts and this guy is a dyhard kyosho fan and it cost him in our southisland champs held last weekend and previously he had zero issues with his TKI1 kit and wishes he had not sold it.
I have just ordered the cvds for front and rear at $100usd and should I just run with the std outdrives?and keep an eye on them? when I finally get the kit as hoping the longer I leave it the newer kits might have better wearing outdrives and looks like to me there must have been a bad batch and hope they still arent supplying them.

i was just like you when i wanted to make the switch!! but like 5 weeks ago i made the switch anyway and bought 2 tki2 and some cvds both the 93 and 91. during the build i replace all the universals with the cvds. i have used my practice car for 5 full practice days, with probably 4-5 gallons through it. my race car have gone 2 controlled practice days and 2 A main finals and i have not experienced excessive wear or snapping of the cvds.i use 93 for both front and rear since use medium tread on the rear. kinda glad i made the switch!! such an enjoyable car to drive
Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

I am running the 93mm in the rear. I think that everyone running a MP9 TKI2needs to internal limit the rear shocks enough that the dog bone does not go into the half moon of the outdrive. That is exactly where mine is snapping, so I am guessing it is simply sheering them off. Its little things like this that can fun suck a race. I am not that guy that dnf's, but fortunately for the competition I did this weekend. I wont next so game face on.

T
You should try the 91mm, the 93mm rear have for some time been known to cause problems if not setup correctly. Also, wouldn't it be a lot easier to do the limiting with the droop screw, as that is what causes the problem, allowing the arm/driveshaft to droop too far? How much droop are you running when you have these problems occuring?

True. But there are also many who have never had any problems at all.

Considering the number of TKI2 kits sold and the number of outdrives sold, wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply buy the TKI2 now and also just purchase some outdrives as spares, because if you buy from anywhere with a decent turnover, it's unlikely there should be too many of the pre-fix outdrives around. Seems easier to me than waiting for some 'unobtanium' kits with the new outdrives, which no one really has any idea if they've been swapped, just luck of the draw.

As Mr King has mentioned, Kyosho is supplying the 'fixed' outdrives, so just grab the car and get yourself some spare outdrives and you should be a happy malc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service