Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Like Tree1Likes

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcion
Thanks, Ill take that advice from a world champ mechanic lol.
dont squeeze the crap out of them, just compress them until the coils touch each other, and release. I think if you do that then readjust your ride height, you'll be good to go... let us know how it goes...
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

I got this question in a PM, but I thought it was good for the forum, so I'm posting it here. Here you go:

"Hi,

Been trying to get a better feel of shocks setup.Hope u can give me some tips on this.

With a similiar damping,what is the difference between using a smaller piston with lighter oil vs bigger piston hole with heavier oil?

what/when is the application? etc smooth,bumpy...

Do u setup the shocks primary for jumps,bumpiness or grip level? chassis bottoming out?...

I know its a long n tough subject to explained,..hope u can just give me some basic pointers.

Thanks!"

The major difference using lighter oil and smaller holes vs. heavy oil and larger holes is the high speed damping. The thinner fluid is flowing through the small holes at a much higher velocity, and there is much more turbulence, which in turn creates what is referred to as "pack." On the table the two set-ups will feel the same, but the set-up with thinner oil will pack up more when the pistons are moving at high speeds. The thicker fluid inherently flows more gracefully and with less turbulence to begin with, and then with the larger holes, it won't have as much high speed damping, or "pack" as the thinner fluid set-up.

The other difference is the performance of the shocks at varied temperatures. If you use a low pack set-up with heavy oil, you need to keep an eye on your choice of oils. Heavy oil is influenced a lot by temperature variations, much more than light oil.

Another concern is being in the optimum range with your oils. You could go so light on the oil that you are completely outside the realistic range of the oil, just in order to change the oil weights to get the kind of damping you need. You might find yourself mixing oils to get the right damping feel.

Regarding the general set-up questions you had, you want less damping and less pack for rough, bumpy, or loamy tracks, and for smooth high grip tracks you want more damping and more pack. Same thing for large jumps. That is a basic rule of thumb we use, firm suspension for smooth high bite surface, and softer for loamy rough surfaces. If it's really high grip and smooth, you might even stiffen the springs a bit.

Hope that helps... PK
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

does anyone have a link to the tki2 spec a factory setup
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTER350
Pitpop Thank you, thank you for sharing

If you wrote a setup book I would buy one from you

Originally Posted by pitpop
haha well thanks! If Cody wins a National or a Worlds, maybe I will do it. At least I would have one sale!
Better buy a bunch of No. 2 pencils and get to work Pitpop...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Regarding the general set-up questions you had, you want less damping and less pack for rough, bumpy, or loamy tracks, and for smooth high grip tracks you want more damping and more pack. Same thing for large jumps. That is a basic rule of thumb we use, firm suspension for smooth high bite surface, and softer for loamy rough surfaces. If it's really high grip and smooth, you might even stiffen the springs a bit.

Hope that helps... PK
So pittop how do you go about setting up for a smooth track with big jumps?

By the way I pulled my shocks off, and springs, compressed springs, checked shocks to see if they still had rebound, slightly less but still had quite a bit, put them back on and the ride height was back on the money. So I am thinking in a main after various large jumps and bumps for several minutes the shocks start to give some, because they are being worked for so long, then when you finally let them rest they go back to normal. The reason I say this is because in 5 minute qualifiers I have no issues, but in 15min or 30 min mains the my car starts to bottom out while half way thru and lose handling. 2nd time it has happened which is the reason I guess people started putting a sponge behind the shock bladder.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTER350
Pitpop Thank you, thank you for sharing

If you wrote a setup book I would buy one from you

Better buy a bunch of No. 2 pencils and get to work Pitpop...
HAHAHA you got me! I better get to work
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcion
So pittop how do you go about setting up for a smooth track with big jumps?

By the way I pulled my shocks off, and springs, compressed springs, checked shocks to see if they still had rebound, slightly less but still had quite a bit, put them back on and the ride height was back on the money. So I am thinking in a main after various large jumps and bumps for several minutes the shocks start to give some, because they are being worked for so long, then when you finally let them rest they go back to normal. The reason I say this is because in 5 minute qualifiers I have no issues, but in 15min or 30 min mains the my car starts to bottom out while half way thru and lose handling. 2nd time it has happened which is the reason I guess people started putting a sponge behind the shock bladder.
For a smooth track with big jumps I would definitely stiffen the oil, smaller piston holes, and maybe even the springs if the jumps were huge.

Is it warm where you are? Is the car going from a cool environment to a warm one? Make sure the car sits in the sun or at operating temperature before your race. The condition you are describing reminds me of a car that is cold and gets hot half way through the race (in which case you should have thicker oil prolly).
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For a smooth track with big jumps I would definitely stiffen the oil, smaller piston holes, and maybe even the springs if the jumps were huge.

Is it warm where you are? Is the car going from a cool environment to a warm one? Make sure the car sits in the sun or at operating temperature before your race. The condition you are describing reminds me of a car that is cold and gets hot half way through the race (in which case you should have thicker oil prolly).
Right on the money, Main started about 3 hrs after the last qualifier and it was cold as hell lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by carlin
Hi Pitop,

Wonder if you can help me, I've just about to order my new engine for next season.

I'm currently running CRF US Ed, do you if the venturi fit the new CRF Alpha engines. I'm going to have one of the 5port, do you know what size venturi comes with the engines as it doesnt really say great deal on this.
What size's have you tried using, I'm thinking of getting the 5.5 & 6 but this depends what actually comes with the engine in the first place.

Hope you can comfirm this for me please
Anyone???
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Anyone???
It comes with a 7mm and i don't think you can get smaller venturi's. You will be fine with the 7mm
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Anyone???
Hi Carlin. Sorry I missed your post from before! The venturi insert from the US Spec will not fit in the new Team Orion carburetor. The engine comes with a 7mm, but Cody's Worlds edition engine will come with 6.5, 7, & 7.5. Any insert for Team Orion Alpha or Truhe edition will fit. There are inserts available on the Horizon or A Main Hobbies site.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...enturi&x=0&y=0

We have found anything smaller than 6.5 can take away too much power and cause you to lay on the gas a lot.

Last edited by pitpop; 12-15-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hi Guys, I ran my new MP9 TKI-2 for the first time on the weekend and i must say i`m very impressed with the way it drives. I felt at home with it very quickly and can`t wait for next season to start so i can get some more track time with it. Awesome car!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just wanted to drop in an congratulate Cody vik and team Kyosho again for beating the fastest car in the world(s)!

Last edited by vince7870; 12-15-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sorry couldn't hold my tongue any longer
Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Pappa King I got a question are the holes on the brake pads suppose to match up. Big on big and small on small.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.