Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno MP9 thread >

Inferno MP9 thread

Like Tree1Likes

Inferno MP9 thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Inferno MP9 thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Another TKI thread, more TKI4 Specific http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html

TKI4 Replacement Parts (Good for upgrading from TKI3) http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Replace...ts_c_1505.html

TKI4 Optional Parts http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Option-Parts_c_1506.html

Some notes on the new Towers/Long shocks here

Picked up a TKI3 and want to upgrade to TKI4 ? Here are all the updated parts:

Shocks

IF347-155 1.5X5 Pistons
IF471-01 Front Shock Body
IF470-01 Rear Shock Body
IF470-03BK Shock Adjust Dial
IFW154 Boots
IF346-05C Shock End Set

Wing

IF491BK Wing
IFW460B Wing Mount/Stay

Rear End

IFH006W Wheel
IF490 HUB
IF490-01 Hub Insert
IF492 Shock Pin
IF423HB Rear Arm
IF287 Hard Upper Rod Rear

Front End

IF489 Steering Rod Set
IF488 Knuckles
IF487H Front Arm
IFW458 Hard Lower Pin
IFW425 93MM CVD
IF286 Hard Upper Rod
IF486 Lower Susp Holder
IFW459 Servo Saver (Hard)
IF446B Ackerman Arm
IF426-64.5 Susp Shaft

Other

IF469B Filter
97035LW-13 Clutch Bell
IF453B Body Mount
IFW107GM Hexes
W300910 Washer
IF443B Center Diff Plate
IF444C Tank
IF479B Radio Box
96772 13x16x0.15mm Shim
IF481B Fuel Tank Stay
IFW336GM Wheelnut
IFB008 TKI4 Body
IFD403W TKI4 Decal

Print Wikipost

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alport78
I don't agree, there are many 1/8 buggies on the market which are durable enough (some even more durable than kyosho ) even without any alu upgrades and there are also cheaper buggies with equal alu upgrades (JQ white edition) . I don't think the price of kyosho is due to it's part quality because there are cheaper buggies with better build quality. IMO most of the price is because of the geometry . The suspension geometry refined during long years and it's the sign of the experience. Kyosho sells this experience and the value of the brand. I think it's still the best handling buggy on the market. I think it deserve the price with the design but it's quality is not on par with it's price.
Couldn't agree more with the bolded statement

The refined geometry over the years of racing. Getting the roll centers, weight balance, along with suspension geometry in the exact location and then only having small adjustments from there takes a lot of time and experience. Every fraction of a mm and fraction of a degree matters when building a car from the ground up. It takes a lot of R&D to find that sweet spot. JQ and xray completely changed their front ends. Associated completely changed its geometry. Mugen changed chassis length and car geometry. Losi made geometry and shock changes in their new cars. Car companies are iterating to find that sweet spot, but Kyosho seems to be very close to optimizing their design and hence why we've seen very few and minor changes to the car over the years.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The facts are this with 1/8 cars I own right now

Kyosho - High initial price/very few hop ups needed all included in tki3/cheap plastic/metal parts to keep it running (outdrives 14$ for eg). You get 2 arms with kyosho for the price of one xray.

Xray - Low initial price/no hop ups/parts are way more expensive spur gears 2-3 times of other brands, shafts, towers pretty much everything (outdrives 40$)

Setup sheets and on track support is way more with the K cars as well. Xray there will be 1-2 showing up on track. No fanboism at all, my favourite wheeler is the xb4 and I still run my old t3 2012 touring car.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thank you all very much, this has been very helpful!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I will have to agree that the JQ White Edition is a beatifully designed buggy. Maybe the best I've ever seen as far as aesthetics are concerned. One of my friends was racing one this past weekend and said.. "I really like it, it drives very similar to a Kyosho."

The Kyosho MP9 TKI3 is the best functioning buggy I've ever driven.
For years it has been the benchmark by which all other buggies are measured.. and still is today.

As others have mentioned.. it is very easy to drive and very forgiving while remaining responsive to setup changes yet not overly sensitive to small changes. It's nearly impossible to "lose" your setup on a TKI3.
For me these things equal PERFORMANCE.

Originally Posted by SEF
The refined geometry over the years of racing. Getting the roll centers, weight balance, along with suspension geometry in the exact location and then only having small adjustments from there takes a lot of time and experience...

Car companies are iterating to find that sweet spot, but Kyosho seems to be very close to optimizing their design and hence why we've seen very few and minor changes to the car over the years.
Exactly
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by HH; 02-12-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: double post
Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

so what do you guys think , i am gonna try this at DNC

before anybody says "copycat" , i was going to do this and ordered the parts before i knew losi did this

i have installed the rtr center drives on my mp9 pimp daddy build car , i am pretty certain wear on front driveshaft will be much less and its much more free actually , the shafts are quite a bit heavier/beefier buuttttt i think benefits outweigh that
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by houston

before anybody says "copycat" , i was going to do this and ordered the parts before i knew losi did this

i have installed the rtr center drives on my mp9 pimp daddy build car , i am pretty certain wear on front driveshaft will be much less and its much more free actually , the shafts are quite a bit heavier/beefier buuttttt i think benefits outweigh that
Keep an eye on the front center front dog bone pin.. It wore out very fast on my 3.0 and I ended up using the swing shaft option part from losi.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston

Part numbers? The tekno outdrives work alreayd.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

about to buy the mp9 readyset, gotta love tax time. since winter lasts till about may here in ohio I plan on getting the kyosho inferno brushless kit they have at amain. has anyone used this? It doesn't list the readyset version in the compatibility list but it lists the real mp9. it should work, right? just want some reassurance from those in the know.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can anyone please post the stock set up sheet that the tki3 a spec comes with? Thanks a bunch for any help on this. Of not on here please e mail it to me at [email protected]. I have got people saying it is a great start point.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spec A setup sheet

This should be the Spec A setup sheet. I purchased the spec A and this is what it came with

Last edited by wesmel75; 01-10-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Rookie

One thing that I hear people say is the Kyosho cars including the MP9 breaks easily and that it is not that strong. Ok, who has the most 1/8 IFMAR world championships? Kyosho 8, second place is Mugen with 3. People like to bash on Kyoshos and the funny thing is that they use K parts on their cars. I have a ST-RR EVO, MP9tki2 and a losi 8ight 2.0. Honestly the MP9 is drives way better then my losi.

That below is the best post.
Originally Posted by CoryD
Yeah, the MP9 is like cheating...it really is!

Later,
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does kyosho make an underdrive/overdrive gear?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alport78
I don't agree, there are many 1/8 buggies on the market which are durable enough (some even more durable than kyosho ) even without any alu upgrades and there are also cheaper buggies with equal alu upgrades (JQ white edition) . I don't think the price of kyosho is due to it's part quality because there are cheaper buggies with better build quality. IMO most of the price is because of the geometry . The suspension geometry refined during long years and it's the sign of the experience. Kyosho sells this experience and the value of the brand. I think it's still the best handling buggy on the market. I think it deserve the price with the design but it's quality is not on par with it's price.
You can thank Auto Model for that geometry
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, I agree that the kyosho buggy is an easy driving car, good handling car, etc. But, the geometry conversation here is not correct, kyosho HAS changed their geometry and pretty aggressively through the years. Try putting an mp7 series arm in an mp9 series and see the results, then for the tki2 the rear "geometry" was changed again with the rear tower and shock length, although to me this is not really a change.

Does kanay knows what he has in his hands in terms of chassis desing? Probably yes lol.

As for the other brands mentioned, like losi, ae, the geometry really has not changed other that shock length and positions/locations since 06/07 maybe same for mugen until the 7 came about. as for xray who knows what hudy does lol, every year the old car was crap and the new one is where the shitzl is. Serpent and jq, what one geometry change in 4-5 years?

Never the less all other top cars with all other types of geometries are definitely good and competitive too. And a hot driver and overall setup/tires is still king. Thinking differently would be naive.

Price?
A lot of the price difference is because of the exchange.

Now setup, that is where you see a lot of trends and changes but again, I would not count these as "real" geometry changes since these are more like "adjustmens". For example xray and losi changing the front camber setpoint from 12 to 16/15deg. This is a stock adjusment on other cars and it should be consider one too on suspension designs that are not so adj friendly, to call it that.

Now what jq did to his car, what mugen and serpent did in the rear end, what kyosho did from mp7xx to mp9, what xray does every time hudy changes his underwear, those are real geometry changes to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.