Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Start racing this year!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Start racing this year!

I am planning on racing this year and looking to 1/8th truggies. What's peoples opinions on a good truggie to race.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

depends on how much coin you want to spend.and what equipment you have or need to buy also.a good, competitive race setup will run you around 1500-2000 dollars if you bought everything brand new.

Last edited by buckeye34; 05-11-2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added words
Old 05-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'll admit I'm new at the racing scene with R/C but have been driving them for a while. But if you can give me a list of what I need. I'm not really worrying about the money but I'm looking to only spend 700-800 on the truggy.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm running the Jammin truggy. Its strong and dependable and its as competitive as it gets.

http://www.jamminproducts.com/x1crt.htm
Old 05-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

I drive a Losi 8ight-t RTR. And if you are looking at an RTR to save some coin, and you will be racing, you will end up replacing parts they skimped on to get the price down.

Shock tower, cast aluminum, hinge pin retainers, cast aluminum, shock caps, plastic, those types of things are high quality on a roller and made of aircraft aluminum. The only reason I went with a RTR was I found a used one I just could not pass up. But I will be close, not quite, I might save 400 in the end, but will be close to the cost of a roller when I have to upgrade all the broke cast aluminum stuff .

That said, there was a thread on here where CEN Matrix came out the winner to a similiar question.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

What's the Jammin run for price? And is it a RTR?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think the new Jammin X1X is going for about $550. It's a good truck, and has the best shocks on the market. CEN is also coming out with the new re-matrix..and it looks sweet. It's going to be coming out this summer. CEN RTRs also now come with an FM radio system, and you can get a Matrix truggy for $350 with the trade in program..check out the website.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

So far OFNA has got my eyes glued to the Jammin X1-CRT. But we'll have to see what else to I'm hoping to buy one by the end of this coming week.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hands down a mugen mbx5t prospec. Why.....

1)The truck is so durable its amazing.
2)Parts dont wear as quick as other brands.
3)Drives great.
4)While it doesnt have big bores like the current fad the mugen shocks are the best I have ever seen.

Price on it is gonna be approx $565 and it includes body,rims and tires. I think the new kits come with holeshot tires but not positive on that part.

Get that truck, falcon .21 motor, jammin jp3 pipe,jr servos and you will be very thankful you did. If you do get the truck pm me and I can give you a couple of build tips that helped me for good assembly.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
Hands down a mugen mbx5t prospec. Why.....

1)The truck is so durable its amazing.
2)Parts dont wear as quick as other brands.
3)Drives great.
4)While it doesnt have big bores like the current fad the mugen shocks are the best I have ever seen.

Price on it is gonna be approx $565 and it includes body,rims and tires. I think the new kits come with holeshot tires but not positive on that part.

Get that truck, falcon .21 motor, jammin jp3 pipe,jr servos and you will be very thankful you did. If you do get the truck pm me and I can give you a couple of build tips that helped me for good assembly.
+1...except for the falcon motor.i just know nothing about it.also my hand goes to hitec 5955tg for steering,333oz. is hard to beat.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just my $.02 here...

Jammin CRT Pro w/ OS V-Spec, 9000T steering/5645 throttle, KingHeadZ on all four corners and a BCE chassis. There's more but that gives you the idea. I'd guess the truck to have $1500 invested in it w/ Spektrum rx, 1600mah batt, offset LPR BT/CF/HS and a nice pipe (Tsais T32X). In the end, it's the most durable, fastest, nicest, schweetest, and drivable rig I've ever pulled the trigger on. I race next to some of the best guys in the NE US and there are a LOT of opinions out there other than mine (Kyosho, 8T, Mugen, etc) but when I look at parts replacement costs and availability I chose my CRT. It worked for me but I'm just one guy in the world of RC racers. The new X1X-CRT platform is very promising but IMHO, get a kit and THEN get the extras. Any RTR rig is just another RTR rig on the track. Pro kits are the best the company has to offer. But then it's all about getting what you pay for. When you look around you find that RTR kits cost about the same as Pro kits that don't have electronics, engines, etc. That money saved is money they put into your kit to put you at the top of the game. If you match that kit with high quality 'extras' then you end up with a force to be reckoned with.

Dig deep into who's winning the major races (and why) and you'll find the cream rises to the top every time. In the end, most pro kits are the best the company can provide. Pick the company you think does it best AND has parts available for you when needed and you'll have a rig that you'll never regret buying. That includes guys like me with CRTs, guys that run Kyosho, Mugen, Asso., etc. Everybody will be biased cuz they found out what THEY like. But in the end it's a tight race and any one rig won't have too much over another at the track. The other 80% is whether you can drive it.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN Matrix TR
Old 05-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

is the Jammin built by ofna though?

the only thing that keeps me away fromt he jammin X1X-CRT, is the ofna name.

I cant say all ofna stuff is bad, i own a JLR EVo 3 with a ofna brand and that thing rips, but its a picco engine not ofna.

is the jammin the same way? last time I saw an ofna it litterally exploaded all over the street without hitting anything..
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Welcome to Jammin Products World Champion and multi-time National Champion R/C Racer "Jammin" Jay Halsey brings over 25 years experience in design, testing, racing, and winning to every high quality race proven part manufactured for the serious racer. Jay has developed cars for virtually every major R/C car manufacture and now brings his innovation in house and available to you.
Jammin Products is a division of OFNA and the complete line is distributed through OFNA.

That's a direct quote from their site. My suggestion is look to see who is winning and what they're driving bro. I couldn't be more happy with my CRT but I've never run anything else so I'm just another biased opinion. I just wanted mine heard and suggest what works for me. Rule number one: If you want to race buy a race car. If you want to bring home groceries get a RTR from the dealership.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

I am also in the market for a pro kit, but I want to get the right pro kit..

also tellt hat to civic drivers, they dont want to believe it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.