Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Newer Companies VS. Established Ones >

Newer Companies VS. Established Ones

Newer Companies VS. Established Ones

Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Newer Companies VS. Established Ones

It seems there are alot of newer companies coming out with products that are equal to or if not better than most of the established companies out right now and at a lot cheaper price! I think that if these guys get there act together in a year or 2 prices might start coming down from the bigger guys to compete because there product would be considered overpriced. What do you guys think?

This is just a thought and I am not asking for any bashers please!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see you drive a castor OCM, etc. Nice buggy I have seem them upclose and personal, im in Iowa and the main Distributor is here in central Iowa, they are all over Hobby Haven, in Urbandale. But Castor did not have to pay for research and development, and factory team to manage and test all their stuff, they basically copied it from Mugen. Not Exactly but basically that is what it is. Established companies have a higher research and developmnet cost, and they need to re-coup thier costs, then you'll notice over time their prices come down and they issue updates, etc. The big guys are big for a reason, and if they truely sucked, they would go by the wayside. You take a RTR Losi buggy or truggy and look at the included motor and radio and the car its self it is quality and you get what you pay for. IF you look at the OCM RTR, and open the box, it is poorly packed, the radio is a absolute 10$ joke, and the body is poorly painted and looks dismal. The motor is a Go-Tech and it is good. I dont drive a Losi, just using it as an example. I have nothing against a OCM, I used it as an example as you are famaliar with it. You could use Associated or someone else, doesnt matter. The OCM stuff is less expensive so that is a plus on its side for sure.

my .02

trout
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I see you drive a castor OCM, etc.

What do you mean by this?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

it says in his Signature he has the Buggy made by Castor. Correct?? I didnt feel I needed to list each one, so I said Etc, meaning all encompassing.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Cool...I've just sen people post things similar to that and everyone who looked at it later ASSUMED that OCM and Caster were the same people....when they are not.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

What is the difference? I thought OCM owned Castor.....NO?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trout74
What is the difference? I thought OCM owned Castor.....NO?
Not that I am aware of.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Who did you hear that from?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trout74
I see you drive a castor OCM, etc. Nice buggy I have seem them upclose and personal, im in Iowa and the main Distributor is here in central Iowa, they are all over Hobby Haven, in Urbandale. But Castor did not have to pay for research and development, and factory team to manage and test all their stuff, they basically copied it from Mugen. Not Exactly but basically that is what it is. Established companies have a higher research and developmnet cost, and they need to re-coup thier costs, then you'll notice over time their prices come down and they issue updates, etc. The big guys are big for a reason, and if they truely sucked, they would go by the wayside. You take a RTR Losi buggy or truggy and look at the included motor and radio and the car its self it is quality and you get what you pay for. IF you look at the OCM RTR, and open the box, it is poorly packed, the radio is a absolute 10$ joke, and the body is poorly painted and looks dismal. The motor is a Go-Tech and it is good. I dont drive a Losi, just using it as an example. I have nothing against a OCM, I used it as an example as you are famaliar with it. You could use Associated or someone else, doesnt matter. The OCM stuff is less expensive so that is a plus on its side for sure.

my .02

trout
ok your .02 are up the wall i love how everyone says the ocm is a mugen its far from a mugen. ocm has a team who tests there products and report back to the factory.The ocm rtr poorly painted body looks better then most rtr's to me.
10 dollar radio hmm looks like the same on jammin has with its rtr's and di you see that turdpile kyosho includes with its rtr's

and ocm's customer support is top notch.

so before you knock on a smaller company because supposedly they dont to testing this and that learn the product first before you state false facts
Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All companies need to start somewhere.

Iremember when Team magic was VERy new, now look at them, top notch pro kits for on-road nitro and electric, and a sick buggy.

I believe OCM will have no issue getting to the top as long as they keep their product's quality up, and parts support as well.

Just please please don't exchange cheap price for great durability.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

The best "off brand" buggy I've seen is the Nanda NRB-3, also sold as the Radical Z8 and the Supercross 8 (I think that last one is the right name.) That isn't to say there aren't others out there with equal potential. Who knows who will come up with the next revolutionary design idea that will change the direction of design?

I can personally see a lot of areas where the current crop of buggies could stand a change or two... but then again, I tend to pick everything apart. (The guys at the car dealership HATE me... "why can't I get it with this?") (You mean you don't put the higher HP engine in the lighter model?) (Only automatic? You've GOT to be kidding, right?)
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheesecake
ok your .02 are up the wall i love how everyone says the ocm is a mugen its far from a mugen. ocm has a team who tests there products and report back to the factory.
Caster Racing is the same way. I get so many haters about saying its the same thing as a mugen. They are constantly testing there stuff and taking feedback from team drivers and getting things updated and better all the time and reporting back. There customer service is also outstanding. Yes some might use a similar design to start off with but it gets changed to there own liking from there own feedback and testing and eventually is nothing like the other.

I do understand about recuperating there money (bigger companies) but it is just getting harder and harder to want to fork out some of the money they are asking when you cannot see any advantage or better quality. Except for losi that comes with the spektrum. Also nowadays you can get parts online anywhere that it does not really matter if you LHS carries what you got or not.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

so wait lemme get this straight, being like mugen is a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
so wait lemme get this straight, being like mugen is a good thing or a bad thing?
It depends on how you look at it. Mugen has some good features, and some less desireable features.

Virtually all buggies have some things in common. Some are more alike than others. The Caster happens to have a lot of similarities to the Mugen. However, I've owned a Mugen and driven a Caster... they don't DRIVE anything alike at all. (Or I guess I should say the Caster I drove didn't drive anything like my Mugen.)
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Being like a Mugen is not bad...what they're saying is that some companies copy other brands to save money on development. I can't speak for the Caster car...but the OCM isn't a copy of any other brand. It may have similar features as some...but it is far from a copy.

Saying our buggy is a copy of a Mugen is like saying all cars with c-hub suspension are copies of each other. It just ain't so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.