R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What would you guys recommend for practice/play tires? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/218695-what-would-you-guys-recommend-practice-play-tires.html)

Furadi 04-24-2008 09:43 AM

What would you guys recommend for practice/play tires?

I can't afford to go through tires every weekend so im looking to get some meatier tires that will last a while. Its either between badlands or knuckles 2.0's. I know from expierence that badlands last forever.. But the kunckles look like they would be closer to race tires in terms of grip and performance... Anyone have any first hand expierence with the knuckles 2.0's? Oh and for a refrence, my track will eat through a set of bowtie XTR's in half a gallon.

Cain 04-24-2008 09:54 AM

Depends on what you primarly purpose is. If you are just wanting some play tires, badlands work well.

But if you need something that can be raced, you may want to ask around and see what other tires work on your track from different manufacturers.

I run a set of knockoff badlands that are sold on ebay. The hard compound comes premounted for about $22 shipped for a set of 4 tires.

I also ran there crimefighter hard compound tire (they are called medium I believe) and I was suprised how well they hooked up and how well they lasted. Also for about $22 shipped. he also gives discounts on shipping for multiple purchases.

Furadi 04-24-2008 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 4384430)
Depends on what you primarly purpose is. If you are just wanting some play tires, badlands work well.

But if you need something that can be raced, you may want to ask around and see what other tires work on your track from different manufacturers.

I run a set of knockoff badlands that are sold on ebay. The hard compound comes premounted for about $22 shipped for a set of 4 tires.

I also ran there crimefighter hard compound tire (they are called medium I believe) and I was suprised how well they hooked up and how well they lasted. Also for about $22 shipped. he also gives discounts on shipping for multiple purchases.

Yea you must be talking about suprasales. Thats still an option if I just go with badlands type tires.

DOMIT 04-24-2008 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Furadi (Post 4384401)
I can't afford to go through tires every weekend so im looking to get some meatier tires that will last a while. Its either between badlands or knuckles 2.0's. I know from expierence that badlands last forever.. But the kunckles look like they would be closer to race tires in terms of grip and performance... Anyone have any first hand expierence with the knuckles 2.0's? Oh and for a refrence, my track will eat through a set of bowtie XTR's in half a gallon.

Half a gallon? I only wish we could get that good of runtime out of a set of tires.

1 main on new tires, a couple heats after that... they're pretty much done. Ok for practice for a while, that's it. (on ANY tires I've used except Werks... haven't got to use the Cobra tires on that track yet, so we'll see.)

Black 04-24-2008 12:21 PM

Furadi- Of course I am going to be bias because I am sponsored by them, however the Werks tires last forever. My local track has a big annual race every year and the track gets EXTREMElY blue grooved and I got about 15 tanks on a set of stubs (they look like holeshots) before they started to wear. That was also in the soft compound. You should really give them a shot. We also have lugs which look like crimefighters, and or the W's which is a hybrid of crimefighters and bowties.

DOMIT 04-24-2008 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Black (Post 4384790)
Furadi- Of course I am going to be bias because I am sponsored by them, however the Werks tires last forever. My local track has a big annual race every year and the track gets EXTREMElY blue grooved and I got about 15 tanks on a set of stubs (they look like holeshots) before they started to wear. That was also in the soft compound. You should really give them a shot. We also have lugs which look like crimefighters, and or the W's which is a hybrid of crimefighters and bowties.

I don't know that I would describe them like he did (Lugs have a higher pin count than most tires, and the carcass is flatter than a bowtie, but not as flat as a crimefighter,) but I did put 4 races on a set before they showed much wear. Traction is decent too. I've seen guys clip the outer and inner row of pins like they do with Crimefighters, they say it works well, but I haven't tried it.

Furadi 04-24-2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Black (Post 4384790)

I'm really looking for something that will last like a whole season. Like badlands.

MattP 04-24-2008 05:13 PM

In 2006 when I got back into 1/8 racing I picked up a set of K2 Medium Soft's and I ran them for about 6 races and they still showed hardly any wear. They seem to work well on a variety of track surfaces as well.......:nod:

imaxx21 04-24-2008 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Furadi (Post 4385205)
I'm really looking for something that will last like a whole season. Like badlands.

so you arent interested in being competitive??

MadRussian 04-24-2008 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by imaxx21 (Post 4385758)
so you arent interested in being competitive??

In the title he says for practice or play? :weird:

imaxx21 04-24-2008 07:45 PM

then why does it matter how long they last?

Furadi 04-24-2008 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by imaxx21 (Post 4386014)
then why does it matter how long they last?

Wow, how do you miss such a blatant point? On non-race weekends, us locals get together at the track and dice. Sometimes all day long, So, Im not going to use my race tires because they will get eaten up. But, on race day, I will use my race tires.

So lets recap, on non race weekends, I want a tire that will last long so I can dice with my buddys. On race days, I'll stick to race tires. That make more sense?

UN4RACING 04-24-2008 09:10 PM

Proline Knuckles. M2

Furadi 04-24-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 4386302)
Proline Knuckles. M2

Is that what you have? Hows the wear?

cheesecake 04-24-2008 09:30 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Big-Blocks-B...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Racingspike-...QQcmdZViewItem

i use those for driving around my yard those and there fake crimefighters they seem to work well