Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default STS engines

I was wondering if anybody here has had a STS .28 in any of their 1/8th vehicles? I'm having some problems with the way it runs. I have sealed the backing plate and the carb....so when I run the engine i'm getting 280-300 temps on the head. From the owners manual it should be running at about 250 max. I'm running odonnel plugs, and 20% trinity fuel. Fuel tubing is good and I ran through a whole gallon of 20% on break in along with bringing the piston to BDC for cool-off. I also use the Afterrun engine oil when I put it away. I'm also running a high flow HPI air cleaner and a ofna JP-1 tuned pipe. Any suggestions on how to get this engine to run the way its supposed to?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

I have a .28 3 port and .30 5 port. Both work great and easy to tune. They do tend to run a little hot. I have always run my engines hotter than recommended and have had good engine life with good power. People focus to much on temperature. If there is still some smoke out the pipe and under 290 degrees, go for it.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

While temps are not fixed to engine performance and model they are still a guideline.
Ideal is usually temps from 105 - 115 deg/c which is around 220-240 deg/f
Wouldnt want to run a engine any higher than 260 deg/f.

Look at your tune again, possibly just leaned out a bit much or you running a lean bottom end.
what plug you using can also affect performance and temp as well as what pipe/manifold you using.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I never put a temp gun to my motor until after the tank runs out. If it is under 280 i leave it alone. over 290 i richen it up about two hours and give it another shot. People need to stop worring about temps so much thats something we had to worry about in the mid or early 90's todays motors are much more resiliant and like to be ran a lil hot.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

I know that engine temps are a guidline and sometimes over emphisized. But after running the truck around (the mammoth st, that's where the engine is in) Coming down from running around I check the temp and the engine is making a funny sound...I would assume I could be running lean. Whats the best way to tune a nitro engine?......tune low speed first, or hi speed needle first? I'm just trying to get this right.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking motor

I start with the top end needle and end with the low end needle!
altho i have had to touch up the low end on a couple of motors
just to get them to start!!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by white03
I know that engine temps are a guidline and sometimes over emphisized. But after running the truck around (the mammoth st, that's where the engine is in) Coming down from running around I check the temp and the engine is making a funny sound...I would assume I could be running lean. Whats the best way to tune a nitro engine?......tune low speed first, or hi speed needle first? I'm just trying to get this right.
retune your engine........this might can help......set your high and low speed needler to 3 turn out from close. Warm up the engine by running around half of the tank.Drive in n fill up the tank...........then start tune your high speed needler with WTO n makesure got smoke out from the pipe till you feel it top speed n everytime you lean the high speed needler make sure check the temp too. Later on set the low speed needler..........let the car fully stop and wait for 5 second n WTO see the accerelation......lean it till you feel it accerelate fast n no bogging too...........then rich up 1/8. Then idle needler

Guys, correct me if I am wrong...........
Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too dont get too concerned about temps. I have a sts .30 and it runs best around 290 degrees and that is with 30% nitro. As long as it runs properly and blows lots of smoke I dont get too concerned.

Now with that being said keep in mind that running in the grass, mud or any other type of surface requiring a high load on the engine will make it run hotter. Also keep in mind that temp guns can very greatly on temps. I have a cheapy that I use but periodically I use my buddy's exergen temp gun just to double check.

If you still feel like you have a possible engine problem check the front bearing for leakage. If the engine is sealed properly, runs fine but you still dont like the high temp switch to 30% and that will lower your temps.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

I really like the engine...i just can't seen to get the tuning just right. It seems that it has alot of grunt, but that could be due to the gearing and the center diff. I have ran 30% by byrons and it seems to like that fuel too. The odonnell plug is the 1 with the purple center ( when looking down on the glow plug.)