Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner need advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner need advise

Hi, I'm here stuck here in Kuwait for the next 8 months been here for about 1/2 month and bored outta my mind already... noticed everyone kills there time racing r/c trucks so I thought why not I got the time and money it'll make my time go by faster... I've been looking at one particular one the HPI 1/8 Savage X 4.6 RTR... is this any good is it alright for starters? I would prefer something on the 1/8 scale and 4wd... any help is appreciated...
Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Yea, the savage is great! I started out with one ,one tough truck Can you get parts all the way out there ? If not I would run what the others are so you can get parts faster.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The savage is definitely the way to go.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah parts would all be ordered online...thats the fastest we can get them... so what parts would be a must to have on hand?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Suspension parts, fuel, glow plugs, batteries, a charger. Maybe some extra transmission/diff parts to be safe, depending on how long shipping takes.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Oh, and a really good air filter Its got to be dusty out there man
Old 04-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just get a spare set of arms. You get two in a pack. I have over 10 gallons on my savy and have only broken one, and i deserved to break it. Extra spur gears (if they are even still using the plastic ones in the RTR). Extra slipper clutch pads. The fuel tank is kinda in a vulnerable spot on the savage. I have never broken one, but some people out there break them on a regular basis.
The diffs in the savage are tough but it never hurts to have a spare set of diff gears either.

Like mentioned above, with it being so sandy out there i would recommend you get the Motor Saver air filter (available from HPI). The stock air filter isn't horrible but the Motor Saver is much better.

Then the regular nitro stuff: Fuel, Glow plugs, Ignitor, I would recommend you get a rechargeable receiver pack, and that requires a charger. ( AA receiver pack works but gets to be a pain after awhile.) Also will probably need a 6 cell stick pack for the roto-starter.

That is about all i can think of.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:57 AM
Tech Rookie

yeah is really dusty out here... I live in the desert back in the states and never been around this much dust... plus there dust storms on the regular out here... thanks for the help guys I appreciate it....