Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Sportwerks .21V2 engine >

Sportwerks .21V2 engine

Sportwerks .21V2 engine

Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Sportwerks .21V2 engine

Based on the price, I was considering buying a Sportwerks .21V2 engine. How is the engine overall for performance, ease of tuning and durability. How many gallons can I expect to get out of the engine, before I need to replace parts?

What is a good pipe to run with this engine? Would a Dynamite 086 pipe be OK for outdoors?

How would this engine compare to a Novarossi 3 port N21B engine?
brianr34 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 AM
  #2  
Tech Apprentice
 
CJMay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nineveh, IN
Posts: 98
Default

Awesome motor for the price. Bought one second hand last summer when my VG (VD as we call it at our track) decided to go to heck. Overall mine has around 8 or 9 gallons on it and still rips. JP2 or 086. Has more top end than the Nova 3 port.
CJMay13 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 AM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (17)
 
Steebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 441
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I put about 9 gallons on my V2 as well. Good entry level motor. I just ran the 007 sportwerks pipe. This year I got a n21b 2001 bf. I feel like I upgraded. The n21b 2001 bf seems to be a lot better. Smoother, easier to tune, more consistant. I would say get the n21b 2001 bf. last I seen amain had them for $159. Mine came as a TOP motor, but it is the same thing.
Steebo is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 03:14 PM
  #4  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (30)
 
tdeal823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West, Ohio
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

There is nothing wrong with the sportwerks motors but there are better ones out there.
with just a look at amain and carolinasrc

Novarossi T21B 2001 BF .21 Off Road 3 Port Buggy Engine (Standard Plug)
$159.99

OFNA Jammin .21 Off Road Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug)
$219.99

Go Technology .21 3 Port Sport Engine (Standard Plug)
$114.99

Go Technology .21 7 Port Race Engine (Turbo Plug)
$209.99

these are all good base line motors.
tdeal823 is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 06:11 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
tex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile These are very good engines.....

I have ran several different versions of this motor. This one is the 3rd .21 we have run and we can have any motor. I think they are the most under rated mill out there.
10 + gallons out of every motor.
Run the 053, 086, JP2 or JP3. The 007 pipe does not do this motor justice.
If pipes and clutch is right it will run 10 minutes on a tank.
At the Pro Series finals we never got out motored or did it ever feel lacking.
It is a true 7 port.
Run the restrictors. You will need them.
TEX
tex1 is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 AM
  #6  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (41)
 
Pauly6401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tdeal823 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the sportwerks motors but there are better ones out there.
with just a look at amain and carolinasrc

Novarossi T21B 2001 BF .21 Off Road 3 Port Buggy Engine (Standard Plug)
$159.99

OFNA Jammin .21 Off Road Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug)
$219.99

Go Technology .21 3 Port Sport Engine (Standard Plug)
$114.99

Go Technology .21 7 Port Race Engine (Turbo Plug)
$209.99

these are all good base line motors.

How does the Go-Tech 3 port compare? It's classified as a "sport", but I imagine it would be sufficient for club racing? The price is unbeatable, so for my first .21 to learn and race with, that would be a great deal.
Pauly6401 is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 12:17 PM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
 
Troy_Konitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)
Posts: 821
Default

Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
I have ran several different versions of this motor. This one is the 3rd .21 we have run and we can have any motor. I think they are the most under rated mill out there.
10 + gallons out of every motor.
Run the 053, 086, JP2 or JP3. The 007 pipe does not do this motor justice.
If pipes and clutch is right it will run 10 minutes on a tank.
At the Pro Series finals we never got out motored or did it ever feel lacking.
It is a true 7 port.
Run the restrictors. You will need them.
TEX
What do you gain with the other pipes listed?

Has anyone used those pipes with the .26V2? (I have the .26V2 with 007.)

I've had mileage problems with my setup. I'm trying to use the .26V2 and get better mileage. Thanks for any help.
Troy_Konitzer is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
tex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

The 007 does not let the compression frequency get high enough. It tops out real early in the RPM range. The combination of all low torque engine (.26 V2) and this kind of pipe will hardly make any RPM at all so you are standing on the trigger to get top end.
Run the 053 or 086 pipes and you will move towards much more RPM and usable power without breaking your tires loose. The JP-4 would work well in buggy and the JP-3 in Truggy.
Your run times will increase considerably over what you are running.
Just avoid wheel spin and you will use less throttle input to get the job done.
Hope this helps.
TEX
tex1 is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
 
zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 141
Default

From my experience with it, the .21V2 isn't a bad motor. I had some odd issues with mine, but you get the oddity upon occasion. Mine lost 2 sleeves and a conrod relatively quickly with only about 2 or 3 gallons through it. I've since invested in a V-Spec. Overall, I'm mostly pleased with the motor. Tons of top end, and it has a decent amount of punch as well.
zardoz is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
 
Furadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 489
Default

Originally Posted by Pauly6401 View Post
How does the Go-Tech 3 port compare? It's classified as a "sport", but I imagine it would be sufficient for club racing? The price is unbeatable, so for my first .21 to learn and race with, that would be a great deal.
Don't get the wrong impression based on price with the sport Go. Its actually a little much for a novice driver. If you get one, buy a 7 or 6mm reducer to tame it down before you get the hang of it.

My Go 3 with an 8mm reducer will run with high-doller engines all day long and get better mileage to boot.
Furadi is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.