Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Novarossi RX21P5XS a good engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Is Novarossi RX21P5XS a good engine?

I am looking to buy a new motor for my 8ight buggy. I primarily run at a indoor track, but I would also like an engine that is good for a bigger outdoor track.

I have generally heard good things about the P5XS. Is this a good overall motor? How is the durability of this engine? I have heard that Novarossi has had some issues with the bearings in their 5 ports.

Would a 086 pipe be good for this motor. Does this motor use standard length glow plugs.

Is the motor fairly easy to tune?

Thanks for any help about this motor.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

I have had one since september but onyl recntly broke it in as have been running Rb engines up to now, well was ver tight through break in after 5-10 tanks loosened up nicley started no problem, first impression was it has insane low end power with good topend power also so i change dmy clutch setup to suit as was really to much low end for me as the tyres just spun, im running a jp-03 currently looking at buying a novarosis matched efra pipe.

i cannot really comment on runtimes overall performence in a race or nothing yet as have only been running it around my house but my track is having a open day on the 13th of april and will be setting it up and testing it out so, all being well if i remember will get back to this thread and post some results.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

great engines I have had 2 of them. on outdoor tracks I would get 8-8.5 mins on a tank and on the indoor tracks I would get just over 9 mins.

RB and novarossi are one of the same.

great engines but I have since switched over to the picco p7-5 line up and havent looked back. get over 10 mins on a tank of fuel with CRAZY power I can out run ws7's vspecs all day long
Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

novarossi is always the right choice and the p5xs is another race bred winner remember to heat cycle the engine to at least 220 as quick as you can get it there , use a heatgun to start it for at least the first 750cc of fuel and use byrons 30%nitro 11% castor oil gen2 fuel and it will last for a long time . i recommend finding someone in your area that is very good at tuning to show you a few pointers hands on so you figure what needles do what and produce the results that you are looking for
happy motoring ,
monty
Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Houston you seem to be the man in this forum when it comes to novarossi
engines. I have a question for you. I just bought an 21p5xs broke it in with
9 tanks of fuel, raced it two weekends. The problem I think, is when I come
off the throttle it the seems the rev up alittle with a lean sound for about 3 to 4 seconds and then it goes into a smooth idle. Is that normal? I've seen .21 on road engines do this but I thought they've been modified. The engine is in a mugen mbx-5r buggy I am using odonnell 20% fuel, the novarossi 9886 pipe and the 41021 smooth flow short manifold with a mc8 glowplug. I tried richening the hsn and leaning and richening the lsn with the same results. The engine temps at 245 highest. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
Houston you seem to be the man in this forum when it comes to novarossi
engines. I have a question for you. I just bought an 21p5xs broke it in with
9 tanks of fuel, raced it two weekends. The problem I think, is when I come
off the throttle it the seems the rev up alittle with a lean sound for about 3 to 4 seconds and then it goes into a smooth idle. Is that normal? I've seen .21 on road engines do this but I thought they've been modified. The engine is in a mugen mbx-5r buggy I am using odonnell 20% fuel, the novarossi 9886 pipe and the 41021 smooth flow short manifold with a mc8 glowplug. I tried richening the hsn and leaning and richening the lsn with the same results. The engine temps at 245 highest. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
MAYBE AIR LEAK????
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Possibile but I don't think so because I sealed the carb base and the fuel
nozzle with permatex ultra copper, all fuel line are new with small o-rings
securing them to all nozzles.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Either the idle screw needs to be closed some or the LSN needs to be richen slightly. Remember that closing the idle screw will also richen the low end.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

The engine actually runs great, good top-end with alot of smoke, good bottom-end and it idles great. The only problem is that 3 to 4 second lean
rev-up when closing the throttle?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the lean idle when the idle closes is because the bottom end is to lean richen the botom end 2 hours and check
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

I tried richening the low speed needle until it would not idle, lost alot of low-
end and failed the pinch test still it revs up lean sounding when I come off
the throttle for the first 3 to 4 only seconds. I remeber reading somewhere that if your engine does this your high speed needle is too lean. I tried richening the hsn until the engine starts to bog. I will be racing this weekend and I'll let some of the guys at the track take a look at it.
Thanks for all of the help.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

did you ever tighten the carb needles down too tight ? if you run the low speed needle in too much it will mess up the needle seat on the carb. and make it tune erratically (same with the hsn), make sure it is not leaking around the underhead area , it does sound like an airleak though , check the seal around the carb lock screw , that seems to be a sneaky culprit that can elude even the most experienced tuner . try going back to stock settings , set the high end so straight away speed feels good then lean out the bottom end until you like the punch , lay about 6 feet of good smoke and pinch test produces an idle up in about 2-3 seconds , all the while turning idle adj. screw out until the engine will just idle (about 1-1.5mm opening)should be about 1 3/4 out lsn 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 hsn . and i dont recommend using a short header for an 086 pipe the jammin header or equivalent length round header is the best for that pipe short header with 086 pipe creates lean bog , high temps and a weak overall punch feel in the powerband. bottom line is it is very hard to specify problem without actually playing with the engine
happy motoring ,
monty
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
Possibile but I don't think so because I sealed the carb base and the fuel
nozzle with permatex ultra copper, all fuel line are new with small o-rings
securing them to all nozzles.
check the fuel tank make sure the lid spring is doing it jobs check the scew tabs make sure they didnt crack to the tank
r u nocticing any air bubble in the lines or tank
Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

The engine runs great the top-end screams good mid and low-end it idles
like a champ. The only problem is the 3-4 second lean rev-up when coming
off the throttle. So I'm kinda positive there is no air leak. I alway had
problems with running short manifolds on small block engines. The only reason
I bought the novarossi 41021 short manifold is because I read somewhere
that the p5xs had so much low-end. I think I'll try the nova 41020 long manifold sense I'm on this novarossi kick, and see what happens. Do you have
the stock# to that jammin header. There my pretty body.
Monty you da MAN!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

correction;

There goes my pretty body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.