Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
MST-1 Owners Post Here! >

MST-1 Owners Post Here!

MST-1 Owners Post Here!

Old 07-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

Arrow mst-1 axles

Speedydave,
i think the third gen axles are that of the black/silver combo. the silver itslef looks like the axles has been machined, but the metal is all the same through out. my kit had the all black axles, and they broke as well. a fellow racer had his silver/black axles break on him during a race and had them returned to mugen only to have them replaced with them replaced with the same ones. As for using losi wheels, it can be done using the stock dowel pin....it is slightly larger in diameter than the losi roll pins, but the pliable plastic of the rim will allow you to. I think as long as then pins have a good fit in the axle, breakage will be reduced - if play were evident, it would greatly increase the risk of the axle breaking at the pin's location...just as mine and others have. But after the installation of mugens aluminum locking hexes, iv'e been using mst-1 rear rims since...man those locking hubs are great, no losing those damn dowle pins
Old 07-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Where can I find the aluminum hexes, and where are Mugen rims sold? Tower doesn't have them, Stormer doens't have them, and neither of my LHS's carries parts for the truck, just the MBX5 and MTX3.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

best place to get mst-1 parts has got to be nitrohouse.com they always seem to have everything i need

as for the difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen axles i was told by a friend that the 3rd gen axles make a ping noise when hit together and the 2nd is more of a click i hope you understand thats the only way i know to tell the difference

i havent gotten the locking hexes but ive seen them and they are pretty nice luckily i havent broken an axle since replacing my rear hubs with aluminum ones

speedydave the xxxnt titanium rods are too long i dont recomend using then i had to cut the plastic ball ends and still they barely fit and threading them was so hard i had blisters on my hands you are 100% right they are wrong for our truck
Old 07-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Alright, thanks. Do you still have the stock turnbuckles? If you do, could you measure them for me? Thanks. When I pick my truck up I'll check and see which axles I have. I guess I'll have to order up a bunch of rims for the MST-1(or, at least rears, since fronts are XXX-NT fronts, right?), and get a set of those locking hexes. Are they just hexes for touring cars, or is the spacing on the hexes specific to the MST1?

Edit: I just went over to nitrohouse.com and noticed they have quite a few aluminum hopups for the MST-1. I've heard of various people running different combinations of parts, which are most worthwhile? Sorry for so many questions, just that there aren't many(only one, now two ) people at my track who run the MST-1, so I rely upon this thread and the thread at RCCA for help with the MST-1.

Last edited by speedydave; 07-27-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

i cant really measure my stock turnbucles they still have ball ends on them

the hexes are not the same as touring car i tried believe me

i only have the aluminum rear hubs on my truck i dont know if i am going to put anymore parts on it or not

probably not i am a little short on money now and i havent broke anything except for bending 1 tierod in the last 3 or 4 races

and i just got t-maxx for me and my son and i bet i end up sinking a small fortune into it to make it race worthy
Old 07-28-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

I believe that the front aluminaum arm mount is a great addition to the truck. It locks the hinge pin in by means of set screws. That means that (1) the arm mount hinge pin holes will not get worn and develop unwanted slop, and (2) no pins to fall out and break the arm off from the front or the back of the mount.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

PTP Racing,
If the alloy drive hexes aren't from the touring car, then what are they off & where did you get them????
Old 07-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

i dont have them but i have seen them

they are blue instead of purple

nitrohouse is probably your best bet finding them
Old 07-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Yep, I found them at nitrohouse, but I haven't ordered anything yet. It's under the MST-1 options, so I'd assume they're the right ones.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got my hexes in last night from nitrohouse, they're blue. Comes as a pair for $11 something, so you're looking at the right webpage over there... anyways these things are pretty sweet.

Just remove the axle drive pin, slide off that washer, put the pin back in and slide the hex over and use the set screw to lock it on tight. I think it'd be tough to snap an axle with these things on.

Other hop-ups: I've seen people recommend the aluminum 1 degree hubs with 4 degree arm mounts but though it might be smart to try the plastic ones first to see how they work ($4). The front arm mount will probably be my next purchase, anything to keep the arms from getting sloppy is always good.

Should be breaking in this new truck either tomorrow or Saturday. If all goes well it'll be raced sunday, can't wait!

How about seeing some pics ? I'm looking for painting ideas

Old 07-31-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What's the deal with different degree hubs? Are they to change the toe in at the rear? I only ask as I thought we did this with the blocks on the back of the gearbox where the arm hinge pins go though?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Arrow Rear Toe

Originally posted by lineburner
What's the deal with different degree hubs? Are they to change the toe in at the rear? I only ask as I thought we did this with the blocks on the back of the gearbox where the arm hinge pins go though?
Having the option to change the rear uprights to adjust for toe rather than only at the pin mounts allows for the adjustment of overall wheel base. Having the 4 deg arm mount on moves the rear wheels forward - resulting in more rear traction. Sure it could be corrected by means of spacers between the front/rear of the upright, but mugen allowed the racer to have correct toe and wheel base to their own liking. Personally, I use the 2 deg uprights and toggle between different toe angles via the arm mounts -- this allows me to have optimum rear traction with toe, and good steering, since the wheel base is a little longer

Last edited by StepPins; 08-22-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

StepPins,

Old 08-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Freakah,

Mugen mtx-2, mugen mtx-3.....you need a mugen mst-1!

Old 08-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

I'll get one if you will stop hitting me on the track!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.