Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
nitro hot motor!! >

nitro hot motor!!

nitro hot motor!!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default nitro hot motor!!

Hi there. Ive got a traxxas nitrorustler with a trx 2.5 engine.
Whats the temp. it should be running at?
It runs well and blows good smoke on throttle, but I got this nagging feeling it runs too hot 200f + . I run it on 15% nitro and a little rich.
Any help would be really great. Ta
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

trx 2.5 engines like it in the 230-270 range
Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by looper
trx 2.5 engines like it in the 230-270 range
Thanks for the info. Still a little unshure though cause when doin the spit test it just pops right off.
Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

water boils at 212 degrees,, i dont see saliva being much different..

basically the things to look for the most in an engine tune is smoke taking off and smoke when its zooming along and a "happy" engine.. an engine that is warbling , with inconsistant idle, eating glowplugs or flaming out is not a happy engine.

a temp gun would be a good investment but dont live your life depending on it, if your engine is happy at 275 or 240 or whatever temp that is close to that range then let it be happy.

traxxas engines are good and when treated right they will last a long time, but, they like a bit of tlc. they are not a tune once and they are set for several runs, the tuning of these are a little bit fickle. so a phrase that goes something like "......well it ran just fine yesterday, last week or 4 hours ago..." comes out when it needs a minor tweaking to the tune.

adjust in very small increments once you find a base tune that works for that engine. so a very happy tune for the engine today may need a slight adjustment tommorow.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by looper
water boils at 212 degrees,, i dont see saliva being much different..

basically the things to look for the most in an engine tune is smoke taking off and smoke when its zooming along and a "happy" engine.. an engine that is warbling , with inconsistant idle, eating glowplugs or flaming out is not a happy engine.

a temp gun would be a good investment but dont live your life depending on it, if your engine is happy at 275 or 240 or whatever temp that is close to that range then let it be happy.

traxxas engines are good and when treated right they will last a long time, but, they like a bit of tlc. they are not a tune once and they are set for several runs, the tuning of these are a little bit fickle. so a phrase that goes something like "......well it ran just fine yesterday, last week or 4 hours ago..." comes out when it needs a minor tweaking to the tune.

adjust in very small increments once you find a base tune that works for that engine. so a very happy tune for the engine today may need a slight adjustment tommorow.

+1 on that very well put!!

these engines indeed are inconsistant in tune from day to day. a slight temp change outside with 5 to 10 degrees of temp can make then run too rich or too lean. just keep checking the tune and have a "happy" engine. i have to traxxas trucks and am changing tune at least every couple days. but only very slight changes.

Good luck you have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

Thanks for the help guys. Well thats a load off my mind.
Now to go retune