Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who thinks that nitro will go away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default who thinks that nitro will go away?

i was just thinking about how ther comeing out with 1/8 ec now and more people are going to it do any of you think that 1/8 is just going to be EC and no more gas?. this may sound dumb

i love nitro and i will not give it up!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

I don't see nitro going away, it's just way too cool and fun. I could see a split in the community though. Brushless and nitro running together, or being separated into they're own classes. I've driven both and it really does feel to me like two completely different driving styles, nitro just having a better feel in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

ya i see what your saying most of the nitro guys do not like how the ec 1/8 run with us..
Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 PM

I personaly do think nitro will go away, but not for many many many years. I do believe that Electric 1/8 cars will be the next hot thing though, like right now its nitro 1/8 next up is electric 1/8.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think electric will get bigger only because of brushless and lipo tech, however I don't ever see it wiping out nitro at all. Personally, I love the complexity it adds, I love the noise, and I love how so many different engines feel from the powerbands. Electric is not as varied in the same motor classes regarding powerbands.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

no chance nitro gets pushed out by electric...
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

I wouldn't worry about 1/8 scale electric taking over 1/8 nitro until NASCAR racing consist of electric hybrids. It won't happen. Too many gear heads out there that love the rumble of gas/nitro engines.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

I'm gonna quote a statement from a factory driver on this site..

"Batteries are for flashlights."

I have to agree. Nitro is not going anywhere...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You pose a good Q.
As the market has shown over the years the cost of racing has exceeded the self gratitude of the whole racing experience. From hanging with friends to full blown racing.
The hobby has always been good to the hobby of racing but racng has not always been good to the hobby.
Bashing is the largest market, it doesn't just offer the ultimate free spirit of the hobby its the most affordable. Bashing is bound by no limits and safety is its only guide line. It offers the ultimate experience the HOBBY has to offer.

Now electric offers some thing that the RACING market has been needing. Lower cost to race.

For example. The crt.5 you can run it gas all summer and electric all winter.
Or visa versa.
Brushles lipo and all you really need is tires, thats pretty much the only major expense after the full investment. The diffs will most likely last longer as well.
The lure is there, the hook just isn't set.
I personally like my gas kits but electric is appealing.

I'm not the wizard. Just trying to be, its an observation only.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Neither will go away anytime soon. They will just coexist as different classes.

I'd be more worried about 1/8 electric killing 1/10 electric than it killing nitro. Sort of like how 1/8 buggies/truggies killed the gas truck class.

My $.02.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
The hobby has always been good to the hobby of racing but racng has not always been good to the hobby.
Bashing is the largest market, it doesn't just offer the ultimate free spirit of the hobby its the most affordable. Bashing is bound by no limits and safety is its only guide line. It offers the ultimate experience the HOBBY has to offer.
Funny you mention that. I found racing to be far cheaper for me than racing. However I only participate in club racing in SoCal. When I first started I only bashed, and ALWAYS broke parts. Now if I crash, its usually because someone hit me or I pushed too hard, but planted the vehicle into soft dirt or large PVC pipe instead of a concrete curb or tree. For larger races, it gets much more expensive. It all depends on how one plans on using the vehicle and how serious they become. However, I believe your statement is true that the largest market is bashers.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

I have both nitro and electric. Each has its plus and negative. However, I don't think electic will take over nitro.

The biggest draw back of electic is battery. There is no way to run a 45 min race with electric unless you bring the car in and change the battery. To have enough battery to run 45 mins, you will need $$$$, 9 pack of race battery at $80 a pack. $720. To keep them good, you can only run them once a day. counting the qualifying, 12 pakcs minimum, so we are talking about over $1000 worth of battery plus 3-4 top of the line chargers at $400 each. Actually you can buy 3 nitro buggies with all the stuff you need to run electric for a 45 min race + 2 qual. And if you get bump up, you forefit becasue you have no battery ready to run.

In electric, everything is only 5-6 mins even at the main becaue the battery only good for 7 minutes. You can't even take more than 3 laps to warm up, otherwise you will loose that initial punch.

I like longer races becasue there is more factors to consider, pit stops, trying to make your car last, getting tired and loosing focus.... It is very much like racing real cars. Nitro engines has improved a lot over the years. It no longer takes an expert to tune the engine. Most people can tune the engine pretty good, and at that level, it is plenty fast.

That is why nitro will never die. Our local electric track is closing down becasue less and less people are going there.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by straightaway
I have both nitro and electric. Each has its plus and negative. However, I don't think electic will take over nitro.

The biggest draw back of electic is battery. There is no way to run a 45 min race with electric unless you bring the car in and change the battery. To have enough battery to run 45 mins, you will need $$$$, 9 pack of race battery at $80 a pack. $720. To keep them good, you can only run them once a day. counting the qualifying, 12 pakcs minimum, so we are talking about over $1000 worth of battery plus 3-4 top of the line chargers at $400 each. Actually you can buy 3 nitro buggies with all the stuff you need to run electric for a 45 min race + 2 qual. And if you get bump up, you forefit becasue you have no battery ready to run.

In electric, everything is only 5-6 mins even at the main becaue the battery only good for 7 minutes. You can't even take more than 3 laps to warm up, otherwise you will loose that initial punch.

I like longer races becasue there is more factors to consider, pit stops, trying to make your car last, getting tired and loosing focus.... It is very much like racing real cars. Nitro engines has improved a lot over the years. It no longer takes an expert to tune the engine. Most people can tune the engine pretty good, and at that level, it is plenty fast.

That is why nitro will never die. Our local electric track is closing down becasue less and less people are going there.
1000 bucks in batts is a little high IMO. I assume your talking NiMH, cuz Lipo's can run a 25 Min race...and at 100 bucks a batt...were talking 200 bucks in batts to be set for a weekend full of racing. Top them off after the Quali's, and top them both off for main day....even if you bump, you can put a charge on a lipo faster than any NiMH....

Lipo is the only way to go.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Nitro will never die

The noise, the smell the fact you can say my little car has an engine no way

Nitro forever!!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nitro FTW!

There's definitely room for both, but Nitro won't go quietly into the night, that's for sure.

I still see nitro as the dominate class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.