Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Axial .28RR Break In Problems-Please Help >

Axial .28RR Break In Problems-Please Help

Axial .28RR Break In Problems-Please Help

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Axial .28RR Break In Problems-Please Help

I started my break in today and got one tank ran through it but I'm having temp problems that are around 260-310f. It says the break in temp should be around 190f. I checked the needle setting before break in and they were good. I'm using Wildcat fuel 30%, O'donnell 99 plug which is cold temp that is recommended, one head shim. I tried to richen up on the hsn but the temps wouldn't go down so i shut it down and let it cool.I'm kinda lost here as i never this kind of problem when breaking in a engine. I broke it in inside my heated garage which is 70f. Do you think a hotter plug would help or could be the low speed needle setting has to be adjusted cause after the first minute this thing started to run like it was tuned for performance. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I would check for air leaks if you haven't already. I had a couple Axial's that once I took them apart and sealed them up they ran perfect.
Also check out the manual and make sure all the needles are set to break in specs if they list them.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

I checked the needles before i started the break in and they were set right. That was the first thing i thought of was the air leak so i pulled the motor and didn't find any air leaks.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You might wanna add anothe head shim for break in. I broke my axial RR in with the stock shim, but my temps never shot up like that. I did notice my carb was leaking so I sealed mine I even sealed it by the fuel inlet because it was leaking there as well.

What kind of pipe are you using I recall hearing the RR is very finacky on pipes or it runs hot. Im running a Phantom racing pipe on my savage without a problem. I would dump the stock carb and get a good 2 needle one Ive noticed mine likes to vibrate, you could probably fix it with some new orings also if you have that problem.

The RR is super tight Run a med or hot glow plug I use a #8 for 30% runs perfect. Preheat the head with a heat gun or blow dryer before attempting to start it.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Well i messed with it again today and seeing how the hsn didn't do anything when i tried to richen it up i decided to pull out the hsn and part of the o-ring was chewed up and little peices all over inside so that would probably be my problem, i'm guessing. So i'll get some new o-rings and clean the carb really good and put it back together and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

Awesome engines but save yourself trouble and get the best front bearing you can find, I highly recommend a polymide ceramic. All I run are Axial engines and when I get a new engine the bearings go in garbage as soon as I open the box, they so badly it's ridiculous. The carbs tend to leak as well but nothing a good set of orings won't fix.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yea air leak from a bad oring can make for a frustrating day. I need to change mine.

I havent had an issue yet with my front bearing, but I only have about 3/4 gallon on it.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

thanks for the help guys. I'll have to get some of those bearings. I hear the stock ones will leak so better safe than sorry.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Try richening up your LSN this should bring it down as long as your HSN isn't super lean. Good Luck