Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
MBX5-R Brushless Conversion >

MBX5-R Brushless Conversion

MBX5-R Brushless Conversion

Old 02-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default MBX5-R Brushless Conversion

Hey guys, Ive been in RC for a while now, But never played with Nitro cars, and Ive always liked the 1/8 scale 4wd buggies...
Well I was talking to Charlie at Novak and he told me about the conversion kits they will be releasing in March, so I start looking for a buggy at a good price, I wanted a basic MBX5, not an R because they are a little heavier and Im not big on all the aluminum bling... So I found a brand new MBX5 for $180 shipped, and I added a few light weight parts...
Titanium Drives front rear and centers
Carbon Fiber shock towers
Prospec braces
Mugen Titanium screw set
and a brand new light weight chassis...
I also bought a Novak HV ESC, Novak 4.5 HV motor, Novak 5mm kit for the motor, and I preordered the Novak brushless conversion kit and a couple 5mm pinion gears...
I was wondering if anyone has done a brushless mbx5?
Im also curious about the Novak HV stuff, Ive never used them and there #'s seem OK but that doesnt mean much.. I usually use Mambas but I dont like how they run with heavy vehicles... So I wanted to try the HV.....
Any comments or advice would be appretiated..
I am basically very new to how this buggy is setup, because I have never messed with nitros.. My 4wd buggies are BJ4's and this is a little different...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a brushless MBX5R. It was featured in the March 2008 issue of R/C Car magazine. I am running the Neu 1512 1.5 D/F, Mamba Max ESC and 4S LiPo's right now. But I have a 1509 motor coming and a bunch of smaller packs to test with. From reading the 1/8th electric conversion thread, I would HIGHLY suggest trying out the HV 6.5 motor before the 4.5. The guys that have tried the HV system have had some over-heating issues, but hopefully Novak has sorted that out with a better cooling fan and software updates. If you do decide to run the HV 4.5, then I would HIGHKY recommend getting a set of MBX5T ring & pinion gears to re-gear the diffs. The stock MBX5 gears are too tall with the high KV rating of the 4.5 motor. They don't make a pinion gear small enough. But the truggy diffs will bring you to where you need to be.

Best regards,
Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

hey tonysscrews, are you the actual guy from tonys screws?

im missing a few screws on my mugen and was wondering if you could help my in buying just those individual screws.. i can get pics of you need.

the screws are: stock screws that mount the motor mount to the chassis for a stock mnx5 buggy. theres another that i cant explain, ill get pics if you can help me.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Yes,

I am Tony from Tony's Screws

I have every Mugen screw in stock. You can place the order right off my website for the screws you need. I sell most of them in small packs of 20 for pretty cheap. I also ship to Canada but my cart only charges the correct shipping for screw kit orders or a large number of individual packs to Canada. If you only need one or two sizes, just drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll email you back.

Best regards,
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
Yes,

I am Tony from Tony's Screws

I have every Mugen screw in stock. You can place the order right off my website for the screws you need. I sell most of them in small packs of 20 for pretty cheap. I also ship to Canada but my cart only charges the correct shipping for screw kit orders or a large number of individual packs to Canada. If you only need one or two sizes, just drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll email you back.

Best regards,
k awesome thanks, ill go check my buggy now, take a few pics of what exactly i need, and ill send you an email. thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

pezcinka, where would 1 find a write up bout your e-trug?

R
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Tony do you have a part # for them parts I will need to regear? Do you sell them? Thanks for the help, I thought the 4.5 was only around 5KV? I only plan on running 8 cells with the kit, not looking to break any speed records, so I figured I would either make up some 4's and pair them together or make an 8// I have about 30 4600 cells I never used....
Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
pezcinka, where would 1 find a write up bout your e-trug?

R
March 2008 issue of R/C Car magazine

Or, you can dig through the 1/8th electric conversion thread here on rctech.net. The thread is HUGE so it may take you a few days to read through all of it....LOL

Best regards,
Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by turb06le240
Tony do you have a part # for them parts I will need to regear? Do you sell them? Thanks for the help, I thought the 4.5 was only around 5KV? I only plan on running 8 cells with the kit, not looking to break any speed records, so I figured I would either make up some 4's and pair them together or make an 8// I have about 30 4600 cells I never used....
Ahh... you're planning on running NiMh cells. I would highly suggest getting a LiPo, but if you were to run the NiMh cells, I'm not 100% sure how many you'd want to run. I would think you'd want two 6-cell packs for around 14.4 volts. Then re-gear the diffs. If you run less cells, then you may be able to run the stock diffs, but I'd imagine it would thermal real quick.

The MBX5T ring & pinion part numbers are as follows: (need 2 of each)

46T ring gear - E0214
10T pinion gear - E0215
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey tony,ygm dude!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

turbo: where did you find the lightened chassis, and do you know if it will work with MBX5R suspension parts?

I run an MBX5 with some R Parts on it, namely steering rack and a-arms. Its works pretty well, quite durable.

Right now, I am waiting on RC Product Designs to get out the Ultimate tray for the MBX5 so I can order it as I want to see about running lower profile packs like Polyquest ones.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

I will chime in here on lightening the MBX5 as I have lightened 3 of them now. The 2 biggest things you can do to lighten this car is to change the pivot balls to composite balls (I used "LOTS-O-BALLS" that I got at one of the local tracks[Delta RC]) and change the screws to titainium. On the screws there are 2 MRX-4 ti screw kits (upper & lower) that will get you more than enough screw to do 95% of the buggy. DO NOT use ti screws in high sheer locations like the end of the chassis braces (including the rear brace mount on the dif case), the shock ends & the top steering post screws. In these location the ti screws tend to break. Note: the light pivot balls require some maintainance. I've run 3 Nitro MBX5's like this and found it to be worth the effort.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)

I've been screwed by Tonys Screws!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

So what are people noticing as far as setup differences using a brushless conversion?

Right now, I have been running pretty much nitro guys setups, and the vehicle feels pretty good, but not having used an MBX5 at all in previous nitro form, I have nothing to compare it to, so when someone says use this setup, I don't know if I should go up or down extra in oil weight, etc. to compensate for the difference.

A little off topic, can you still use the regular MBX5 shock springs with the new Type R shocks or do you need specific Type R shock springs.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

The lightened chassis, is from Ebay, Dragon cheapo from Hong kong, actually well made, its 3.2mm alluminum but then they mill sections down to 1mm in specific areas... Not bad for $45 shipped...
I am going to run either 8 or 10 cells, I run lipos in my bJ4 and tc5 but them are my race packs, this is going to be an electric basher... Thats kind of why I chose the mbx5, everyone says there strong cars...
Thanks for the part #'s Tony, I bought some comlete difs on ebay for $70 front and rear, the cheapest I found new bevel and ring gears was $100 just for the 4 parts!! They dont give em away, Ill tell ya that... But my MBX5 diffs, are like band new, so Ill thow them back on ebay and try to get some money back.....
I have had some poblems with thte ti screw set, not to mention there $60, I never did a weight comparison but it would be nice to see what the ti weighs against a cheapo stanless kit....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.