Wiki Posts
Search

Engine life, how long ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? Engine life, how long ?

Would like to know how many gallons to expect from any motor. I got ten on my MACH 427 (Losi RTR) but on my Go-Tech i only got three. I'm currently running an O.S. vspec and have two gallons on it and it's running fine, can i get ten or more gallons out of any engine ?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The average life of todays engines sit somewhere between 5-7 gallons. Some engines last well past 10 gallons and some are beat by the 3-4 gallon mark. It mostly depends on the quality of materials used. Motors like Novarossi, RB Concepts, Top, Rex, Axe Rossi and Picco use a high grade metals when casting and machining their engines and they generally last 8-12 gallons depending on the tune, fuel quality etc. Motors that are casted and use lesser grade metals which you usually find in you asian motors such as Go Tech, Thunder Tiger, Dynamite, SH, Sportwerks etc. are designed to be used as entry level engines and usually don't last much over 4 gallons before needing a pinch and/or replacement. There are definately your exceptions too. I have seen some lower quality, lower priced engines last 8 plus gallons as well. So in my opinion, keep in mind when buying a motor, you usually get what you pay for. If you buy a $110 engine, it will most likely run, tune and last as long as a $110 budget motor should last. As far as you V-Spec, I have a few local guys running my RB C6 motors and they have over 12 gallons on theirs and a few Novarossi P5X's that have over 10 gallons and still running decent. A few guys have stock V-spec's that only got 5-6gallons before getting tired but I heard guys getting alot more than that out of the V-Spec's. So if you are tuning it well and are running decent fuel with ample oil, you should be ok for awhile.

Mark @ www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com
Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

The average life of todays engines sit somewhere between 5-7 gallons. Some engines last well past 10 gallons and some are beat by the 3-4 gallon mark. It mostly depends on the quality of materials used. Motors like Novarossi, RB Concepts, Top, Rex, Axe Rossi and Picco use a high grade metals when casting and machining their engines and they generally last 8-12 gallons depending on the tune, fuel quality etc. Motors that are casted and use lesser grade metals which you usually find in you asian motors such as Go Tech, Thunder Tiger, Dynamite, SH, Sportwerks etc. are designed to be used as entry level engines and usually don't last much over 4 gallons before needing a pinch and/or replacement. There are definately your exceptions too. I have seen some lower quality, lower priced engines last 8 plus gallons as well. So in my opinion, keep in mind when buying a motor, you usually get what you pay for. If you buy a $110 engine, it will most likely run, tune and last as long as a $110 budget motor should last. As far as you V-Spec, I have a few local guys running my RB C6 motors and they have over 12 gallons on theirs and a few Novarossi P5X's that have over 10 gallons and still running decent. A few guys have stock V-spec's that only got 5-6gallons before getting tired but I heard guys getting alot more than that out of the V-Spec's. So if you are tuning it well and are running decent fuel with ample oil, you should be ok for awhile.

Mark @ www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bgbelden
Would like to know how many gallons to expect from any motor. I got ten on my MACH 427 (Losi RTR) but on my Go-Tech i only got three. I'm currently running an O.S. vspec and have two gallons on it and it's running fine, can i get ten or more gallons out of any engine ?
getting 10 gallons out of an engine is quite exceptional. My friend has a JP racing 5-port that he has 11 gallons on it and it's still going he claims part of his reason for getting so much life outta the engine is on race day before his first fire up he always heats up the motor and sleeve. I'm doing the same for my werks B3 and we'll see how long it lasts
Old 02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vroom88
getting 10 gallons out of an engine is quite exceptional. My friend has a JP racing 5-port that he has 11 gallons on it and it's still going he claims part of his reason for getting so much life outta the engine is on race day before his first fire up he always heats up the motor and sleeve. I'm doing the same for my werks B3 and we'll see how long it lasts
wicked, thats what i always do to. i heat it with a paint stripper. what exactly are you supposed to heat? i heat the blue cooling head a lot, and point it towards the bottom of the engine for a bit, but not too long cuz i dont wannt burn anything.

and i had a SH .28 that wasnt broke in, the first time i ever started it, i ran 2 tanks pretty much WOT.. it doesnt have as much compression anymore even though its only had 3/4 gallon through it... and it was ran very hard. well see once my pullstart gets here if i can get it going. if not. that engine only lasted 3/4 gallon!!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

I also preheat my motors before start up. Basically point the heat source downward into the head to heat up the head insert. The insert is aluminum and disapates heat quickly away from the head into the cylinder wall expanding the sleeve keeping the piston from being jammed into the taper on start up. Thats the biggest cause of wear is taking that dry piston and cramming through the taper on the sleeve when the engine is cold. That will wear the motor out alot sooner. A way to check to see if its happening is look at the crown of the piston and if it looks like the aluminum is smeered and/or scratched aka "scored". After awhile, the piston crown becomes rounded and loses compression when the engine comes to temp. Preheat the motor to about 180-200 degress before startup. You still want to take it easy and let the crank and rod come to temp before beating on it to avoid premature pin/rod bushing failure.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

GO engines are not asian lol, but i will say as far as longevity, these motors will last as long as the best NR based motors on a local club racing level, pro level they last just as long as the rest, GO has set the standard as far as Tiwain based motors, and GO isn't a SH based motor. I have gotten 5 to 6 gallons out of SH mills and 7 to 9 out of GO's, it's not uncommin to see this if you read up on GO engines, I have ran them for the past year and ahalf, they are great motors, they may have a budget cost, but the performance is $$$
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

go engines are not asian, but somehow based in Taiwan
Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

never said Go Tech was SH based and yes they are asian motors. Good to hear you are getting good life and good luck from these engines. We have had pretty good luck with the 7 port .21 but the 5 port has been throwing fits the last couple of seasons. Mostly carb problems but none the less, everyone has their favorites and their opinions and thats a big part of it. Not trying to create problems, just giving my opinions based on my experience thats all. Like I said in previous posts, there are exceptions and if its working for you then stay with it. I stick to what I like.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
never said Go Tech was SH based and yes they are asian motors. Good to hear you are getting good life and good luck from these engines. We have had pretty good luck with the 7 port .21 but the 5 port has been throwing fits the last couple of seasons. Mostly carb problems but none the less, everyone has their favorites and their opinions and thats a big part of it. Not trying to create problems, just giving my opinions based on my experience thats all. Like I said in previous posts, there are exceptions and if its working for you then stay with it. I stick to what I like.
yea SH are asian jap crap motors. well the motors aernt so bad, its those damn himoto buggies that are complete garbage.

and you wanna aim the heat down the glowplug hole right? maybe a little down the air filter hole tool?

is it bad to run your car without an airfilter? but with the body on so no dirt goes into the engine?

and where exactly do you check when youre testing for temps? im assuming you stick your temp reader into the glow plug hole? or as far in as you can get it?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nik
go engines are not asian, but somehow based in Taiwan
LOL geographic challenged

Powerhouse, i know what you mean and i totally respect that, The 5 port has always been the best for me, the 7 is a little finicky, but fast when right, they have come along way from the early days, new GO's are nice.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
yea SH are asian jap crap motors. well the motors aernt so bad, its those damn himoto buggies that are complete garbage.

and you wanna aim the heat down the glowplug hole right? maybe a little down the air filter hole tool?

is it bad to run your car without an airfilter? but with the body on so no dirt goes into the engine?

and where exactly do you check when youre testing for temps? im assuming you stick your temp reader into the glow plug hole? or as far in as you can get it?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Taiwan (traditional Chinese: 臺灣 or 台灣; simplified Chinese: 台湾; Hanyu Pinyin: Táiwān; Tongyong Pinyin: Táiwan; Wade-Giles: T'ai²-wan¹; Taiwanese: Tâi-oân) is an island in East Asia. "Taiwan" is also commonly used to refer to the territories administered by the Republic of China (ROC) and to ROC itself, which governs the island of Taiwan, Lanyu (Orchid Island) and Green Island in the Pacific off the Taiwan coast, the Pescadores in the Taiwan Strait, and Kinmen and the Matsu Islands off the coast of mainland Fujian. The island groups of Taiwan and Penghu (except the municipalities of Taipei and Kaohsiung) are officially administered as Taiwan Province of the Republic of China. However, in practice, almost all government power is exercised at the national and local (city/county) levels.

This should clear up the burning question of whether or not Go Technologies aka Go Engines are asian.

I haven't ported a Go motor in over a year and maybe the newer ones are better than the old 5 and 7 ports. Maybe I will see one on my bench soon
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Smile

Great info everyone thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
and i had a SH .28 that wasnt broke in, the first time i ever started it, i ran 2 tanks pretty much WOT.. it doesnt have as much compression anymore even though its only had 3/4 gallon through it... and it was ran very hard. well see once my pullstart gets here if i can get it going. if not. that engine only lasted 3/4 gallon!!
From what I've read, aren't you pretty much asking for a self destruct engine if you don't do a proper break in? Wish I had that kind of money to toss away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.