Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch bell bearing problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clutch bell bearing problems

I have a hard time keeping my bearings together on my clutchbell they seem to break real esay is it cheap bearings are am i doing something wrong please help
Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

heat and vibration is usually what causes early bearing failure... make sure your clutchbell is shimmed correctly, that helps out some... and also your clutch shoes slipping causes extra heat which heats up the bearings even more...

but all in all, they wear out fast anyway? i usually change mine before every race day... if at a larger race where you dont wanna risk a clutch bearing failure, i change between heats/mains
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with the above. Clutch bearings live a hard tough life! Change them OFTEN.

You dont mention how long yours are lasting, but @ 1.00 each (Avid and others) its cheap insurance, in any case.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

they seem to fall apart after one qualifer i use Duratrax are those cheap are what should i get a differant brand. and you guys mentioned shimimg i got a shim on the outside do i put one on the inside
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

also, if your gear mesh is off, meaning your cluch bell teeth are not parallel to your spur gear, you would be putting undue stress on your clutch bearings. and duratrax bearings Blow~. I use Avid, or Boca Bearings
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
also, if your gear mesh is off, meaning your cluch bell teeth are not parallel to your spur gear, you would be putting undue stress on your clutch bearings. and duratrax bearings Blow~. I use Avid, or Boca Bearings
Thats funny i thought the bearings sucked i got a gs racing spur gear and a ofna clutch bell
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

I always clean and regrease my bearings before a race and then again right before the main. As long as they are still spinning smooth. Iv had bearings last for 5 or 6 races before tossing them.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

on my losi, i went through 2 gallons of fuel before they went bad. And i run them dry not oiled.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Change bearings every race meet?

I got 10 litres through my first set of clutch bearings on my mugen before I replaced them. I still have them in my toolbox as spares because they are still smooth. I have never done any maintenance on them except to wipe them clean every once and a while.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

I had a smimilar problem once, where I was chewing out clutch bearings after every race too. Eventually after a very annoying day of racing I found the flywheel nut had come loose. I would check that, and of course correct end play and gear mesh and they should last you a day.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Turbine_au
Change bearings every race meet?

I got 10 litres through my first set of clutch bearings on my mugen before I replaced them. I still have them in my toolbox as spares because they are still smooth. I have never done any maintenance on them except to wipe them clean every once and a while.
+1

Set the shims so it's not too loose, not too tight. Set gear lash and ensure that the engine is parallel with the centre diff and job's done!

I have 10-15 litres on the original bearings in my M1 and they are still smooth as silk!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by dgraham225
heat and vibration is usually what causes early bearing failure... make sure your clutchbell is shimmed correctly, that helps out some... and also your clutch shoes slipping causes extra heat which heats up the bearings even more...

but all in all, they wear out fast anyway? i usually change mine before every race day... if at a larger race where you dont wanna risk a clutch bearing failure, i change between heats/mains

After running the buggy what should the clutch bell Temp be? If I were to use a temp gun what would a normal temp be?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

These are the ones I just picked up and heard they last for a looooooong time. http://bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p...=SMR105C-ZZ/FC and the 4 pack http://bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p...n=*CBFC105C-ZZ
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

www.avidrc.com

The bearings are a buck each. I buy 10 at a time and have a lot of spares.

Here's a good read about clutch bearings.
http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=support#life
Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

AVID say no more