Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Truggy Choice

I am trying to decide on a truggy and I have narrowed the choice down to the Kyosho St-rr or the Xray XT8. Which one should I go with? What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

have you considered the CEN Matrix TR?
http://headrushhobbies.com/estore.as...itro%20Buggies
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Regular

I ordered a ST-RR and it should be arriving this week.

The X-rays a nice vehicle but I don't think it's as proven as the ST-RR. Kyosho makes good quality parts just like X-ray so that wasn't a big concern. Also people keep mentioning about how all the adjustments on X-ray can be a headache.

ST-RR comes with big bores
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I will have my ST-RR tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually the XT8 isn't really all that adjustable out of the box because it has the non-adjustable geometry plastic suspension blocks. Without those the only adjustment it has over any other car is the caster angle. Both are very good trucks, and you won't go wrong with either one. The ST-RR has big bore shocks though, which is really nice. I have an XT8 though and have zero complaints. The XT8 is super dialed! I haven't driven the ST-RR yet, so I can't compare the two, although I have driven the old ST-R which I'm not a huge fan of because it was pretty unstable.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Got my truck today.

ST-RR Super Truggy, Race Ready
Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Default ST-RR = Competition Destroyer!

The ST-RR is the most stable, predictable, Amazing Truggy on the Market Hands down IMHO!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Lets see when the OCM truggy comes out.It will be up there with good truggy's
Old 02-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

My Pick would be the Kyosho. Even though it's not without it's problems, It has had diff issues in the past (you need to be careful on how you shim the diff.). They do seen to have problems with the front hubs..I dont have any problems..I use King Headz hubs....The Xray has it's problems also..Shock pistons breaking is one of them I've seen..But for the most part both companies are dedicated to racing and both will try to fix any problems that come along.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shorty15
I am trying to decide on a truggy and I have narrowed the choice down to the Kyosho St-rr or the Xray XT8. Which one should I go with? What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks.
The XT8 was my pick for the truggy class, a close second would be the MBX5T, which may be getting a face lift later this year so you may want to sit tight on that one. As for the XT8's pedigree, it's Xray for one, which means it's damn near indestructible and offers a whole host of tuning options. The latter can be a bit daunting but if you can tune an Xray everything else should be rather simple...

I race against ST-RR's, 8T's, MBX5T's and a myriad of others and the Xray outshines them all. The handling is superb once you get your setup dialed. To me the Kyosho is a nice ride but it feels heavier than my Xray and didn't seem to have near the turning radius of my XT8, same being said for the Mugen and Losi. The Xray truggy is doing so well in fact that Xray is, for the most part, going to leave it unchanged, for the hobby industry that's saying something. I doubt you will see that from Kyosho. I believe the XT8 will get new BB shocks and possibly new shock towers, unsure on that last part.

If you buy Xray you will not be disappointed. I believe a good litmus test for a car is the frequency with which you see folks getting rid of them on the auction/forum sites. The other brands far out pace Xray in this area. You will see very few Xray's for sale as folks keep them forever, upgrading when and where possible but most tend to stay with Xray.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I kno of multiple guys who dropped there Xt8's for other brands...not saying the XT8 is bad...but it aint the best thing since sliced bread is all im sayin.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default Wow...To heavy??

Wow, you honestly think the Kyosho Truck is to Heavy???

At the Roar Truck Nationals I had to add 5g of weight to my truck because it was UNDER WEIGHT!! Roar legal weight is 9lbs flat!

Couple the ST-RR with it's new BB shocks and it absorbs everything in its path like it's not even there....If I remember correctly I had a couple of X-Ray team drivers coming up to me asking to buy some K-shocks for there Trucks!....Yea There just that good!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Get'em Ryan!!

Got my stuff thanks.. Even a few things I didn't want!!
See you at Silverstate.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think all are good, but might not have the feel you want out of it which could lead you to one over the other. I know Xray has top notch build quality, fit and finish which is a plus. I don't know much on the ST-RR, but it should be on par with anything else out there. Parts for the ST could be a little hard to get as most shops I know of don't usually have much in stock for any of the K cars. Its not a bad thing, but could require some planning ahead to make sure you have any spares you might need. That being said I wouldn't be suprised to see that change in the future with all the new/ old faces now there.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KRCRacer22
Wow, you honestly think the Kyosho Truck is to Heavy???

At the Roar Truck Nationals I had to add 5g of weight to my truck because it was UNDER WEIGHT!! Roar legal weight is 9lbs flat!

Couple the ST-RR with it's new BB shocks and it absorbs everything in its path like it's not even there....If I remember correctly I had a couple of X-Ray team drivers coming up to me asking to buy some K-shocks for there Trucks!....Yea There just that good!
The K BB are the shizzle no doubt about that, so much so that I have them on both my EC and XT8, but that is all you will see the Xray team drivers coming asking for and now that Xray has a BB shock of their own...no need for the K shocks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.