OS VZB V-SPEC BLOWING PLUGS >

OS VZB V-SPEC BLOWING PLUGS

OS VZB V-SPEC BLOWING PLUGS

Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default OS VZB V-SPEC BLOWING PLUGS

Hi
My os v-spec has been rebuilt and now it's blowing plugs. i run lrp 25% and i'v got 2 copper shims under the head.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What plugs are you running? The reason I ask is I heard that the Odonnell plugs are just a grunt longer and without proper head shimming can detonate prematurely blowing the plug. But like I said I just heard that through the grapevine.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

try running a cooler plug like the RB8T. I agree with the odonnel plug theory. I have had no luck with the odonnel plugs. I couldn't finish a qualifier with those things. I only run RB or Novarossi plugs. OS and McCoy plugs seem to be ok too but I would rather spend the extra money for the RB's any day. Run the coldest plugs you can find. They take a little longer to get to temp but once they do they are alot more resiliant to richer or leaner than perfect running conditions.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

also try a different fuel. The only fuel I have had good luck with every batch is a morgan based fuel ie: sidewinder,cool power, JAC, backyard basher etc. I have had no luck with Odonnel fuel, Byrons is garbage, blue thunder is inconsistant and traxxas gums up the tank. Not sure what anything else does but fuels are like motors, alot of choices but only a few originals that are worth a crap. This is my opinion and my opinion only but if its worth anything most racers at my local tracks have also switched to sidewinder over the past year for similar fuel issues.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Is the engine to lean?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

add a 0.1 mm shim
Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had the same problem afer the rebuild i was running 30 odonnell fuel and it was smashing the filiment of my plugs so i added a shim and it was fine. i think the new compression and me not having the proper shims for 30 % caused this.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Hi everyone thanks for all your replies. I can't even get it to turn over with out it blowing plugs. But i'll put another shim under the head, set the carb back to factory settings and try an os p3 plug. Oh yeah, i don't have much of a selection with fuel over here in Australia (well at my lhs any way). It's either A.T racing or lrp.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Check your exhaust manifold gaskets are all ok.

If your blowing plugs on the starter box it tend to lead towards too much compression and hydraulics do to excess fuel in chamber.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MaTt 93
Hi everyone thanks for all your replies. I can't even get it to turn over with out it blowing plugs. But i'll put another shim under the head, set the carb back to factory settings and try an os p3 plug. Oh yeah, i don't have much of a selection with fuel over here in Australia (well at my lhs any way). It's either A.T racing or lrp.
A.T. Is a reasonably popular fuel, but if ya want the best, give mark at massive mods a call. He ships direct to your door or he'll tell you where your nearest stockist is!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

The standard head shimming should be a thicker aluminum one and a thin copper. You should measure the head clearnace and adjust the shimming accordingly for a .45 to .60mm clearance. An OS P3 plug is the ideal plug for this engine. Is this a modified V-Spec engine?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

nah this is just a standard one
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Run a OS p3 plug and Byrons is not garbage.