New XRAY 808

Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

-

Last edited by punkracer24; 03-01-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

-

Last edited by punkracer24; 03-01-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by punkracer24
the concerns here are vary reasonable but heres a few facts for you just as an fyi but the front end as far as caster blocks and steering hub design has been used on 4 other cars to date two of which are NOT losi vehicles and there may be more. the cvd design that i guess is now used on the losi where the bearings capture the pins was NOT originated on the losi. the very first touring car made by hudy used this style of cvd/bearing combo(dont know the proper wording). i do agree with the "looks losi" comment but hudy did go the extra mile and incorporate alot of other unique features, like the mud gards and etc. It will undoubtedly be an awsome car. If i have learned anything in the RC industry its not who can reinvent the wheel the best but who can refine it and make it better. Hudy did just that

just take a look at the mugen and Kyosho and EC and many othe cars out ther right now (All great cars by the way and excluding the eight and the rc8). i am willing to bet that if you bust out a set of calipers you can probably get the exact same setup on four or five cars all made by different manufacuters. All the cars have been cookie cut outs of each other for the past few years.

All i can say is this.... if he car has the durability of the EC and past models alongsied the upgrades and part support it will definitely be one of the best if not THE best car on the market. only time will tell and i wouldnt start looking for it till the end of march beginning of april

Leon couldn't of said it better, and this so called "coping" is not anything new. Like in elec. 4wd buggies, all the copmanies are starting to go to the shaft driven design(Jconcepts, AE, etc), and in elec. touring all the companies are going to the belt driven design(Xray, AE, etc,etc). Also if you really think about it when 1/8 scale buggies were new, any other company "copied" Kyosho. There is only so many ways to make a r/c car and if you look at any class most of the cars will be very similar(which is why it's called a class, since the cars are ment to be similar), like nitro touring, electric touring, 12th scale touring, pan oval cars, 2wd buggies, 4wd buggies, 2wd elec and nitro trucks, 1/8 truggies, 1/8 buggies, and even monster trucks.
you can't knock Xray for making some of the best r/c cars on the market. and if you do you're just jealous
Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Vigilante212
Everyone copys everything that works its just how things go. Then they add their take on the concept. Sure the design is Losi inspired, but it isnt an 8ight. You people complaining about it being a copy should just stop using everything made in the RC industry because they are all copies of somebody elses design with a few changes added.
I agree, this type of so called "copying" will only make all the manufactures step it up in there new future design's. In turn giving all of us better product, get over it!!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you whiners on copieng 1/8th scales kill me! look how many times a 777 has been so called copied. uhhhh like a jammin? or xray? or how about copieng a mugen? uhhhhhh caster,ocm ,team vtx, and so forth. its nothing new or bad it wont be long until a company copies the rc8. bottom line if it has 3 diffs and 4 shocks its been copied a time or two.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Let's get back to talking about what will be the great things about this buggy. Has anybody seen, or have pic's of the factory body it will come with ? i have already seen the pic of the 808 with the symbio body for the 8IGHT http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20790
Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My guess is they dont have a factory body for it yet. On another note Xray's site has some more info and some more pics on the 808.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For all you 'copyright' hounds out there...

Got news for you...

Copying previous designs and sprinkling in some improvements here and there is called...

EVOLUTION.

Some of us have come to realize that this is pretty much how the universe works.

Guess what? It's how product development, art, science, and every other human endeavor works as well.

So they took the elements that work on the Losi and made them better (Hopefully), quit your bitchin. This ultimately benefits the consumer - I.e. you, as it improves the breed/product.

Jesus, this is 5th grade stuff... Stop being haters. Do something better with your time. Make your own buggy, and see how much you have to 'borrow' to do it.

An old Egyptian saying applies here, "There's nothing NEW under the sun"...

Look forward to Losi's 'design response' to this Xray product... I'm sure it'll be a good one.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel
For all you 'copyright' hounds out there...

Got news for you...

Copying previous designs and sprinkling in some improvements here and there is called...

EVOLUTION.

Some of us have come to realize that this is pretty much how the universe works.

Guess what? It's how product development, art, science, and every other human endeavor works as well.

So they took the elements that work on the Losi and made them better (Hopefully), quit your bitchin. This ultimately benefits the consumer - I.e. you, as it improves the breed/product.

Jesus, this is 5th grade stuff... Stop being haters. Do something better with your time. Make your own buggy, and see how much you have to 'borrow' to do it.

An old Egyptian saying applies here, "There's nothing NEW under the sun"...

Look forward to Losi's 'design response' to this Xray product... I'm sure it'll be a good one.
Evolution occurs if its the same brand, like the Kyosho's, not when someone else grabs and put his name on it.

I'm not saying the 808 is bad, but they didn't have to make it look so obvious!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Now if some of the other companies would just start copying XRAY's plastic mixtures, we'd all be better off. Parts should stay slop free for more than one weekend.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Talking Talking about attitude

Agree, in the end Hudy and Team XRay make top notch stuff, unbeatable in my eyes. I stopped buying XRay stuff after I could depreciate my T1FK car every year. Not because I wanted to jump on the Xray bandwagon every year, but lack of support on older parts. I like to drive a car which is solid and sate of the year for several years. I am more in favor of the Mugen and Serpent approach buying a platform that is top notch for 2-4 years, and innovation is buyable every year by obtaining some newer improved parts or an upgrade kit.

The story on Juraj's ego made me grin.... Full respect for this guy what he achieved with his company so far, as long as he doesn't race.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm not an an Xray fan, but you do have to give them some credit. They have definitely raised the bar on quality in the RC market. This is not done cheaply. Every manufacturer of quality goods will acquire idea's, trends and general market direction from their most direct competitors. As has already been stated: this is simple market evolution.

The cost in time and money is very high to design, develop and produce a new product from the ground up. If the leading RC brands were to attempt this each and every time, the end price for quality product would be much higher. We as end consumers should be thankful for this "copying".

I could care less if Xray copies Losi, or if they both copied Kyosho...so long as they continue to improve the market. 

As the old saying goes: Lead, Follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's funny how upset some of these guys have gotten about the new 808. History has shown us that most cars a DIRECT copies of the Kyosho Burns car.

Along comes the MBX-4 and it's pivotball front end which is copied by other manufactures almost instantly. So now there are two "different" platforms to choose. The racer is the winner here.

Fast forward a few years (ok maybe more than a few!!!) and Losi comes out with a raically new design. Not quite clean slate but probably about as close to it as possible and still have three diffs! Again the racer wins.

Now Xray chose to follow Losi's lead and base their new car on the 8ight. Did they improve on it? Time will tell. On papaer it looks like it but as we all know the track is where the truth will be told! I believe the racer still wins here!

I wise old guy once told me "boy, its ALL been done before". I will never forget that statement!

Here's why, Mind you this happened back in the early 90's when GM had just released the Quad 4. It was an amazing feat of "new" technology. DOHC, 4-valve per cylinder, pentroof combustion chambers AND centrally located sparkplugs.

Now the reason the old guy told me what he did was becasue I was unloading a 1930 something stright 8 cylinder Desenburg (SP?) head from the back of his truck. It was probably 5 feet long! But it had DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, pent roof combustion chanmers and yes centrally located spark plugs.

When we set it besdie the Quad 4 head it really looked like someone had scaled the Desenburg head down chopped 4 cylinders off it and called it "new"! Was the Quad four better? YES! It was about 1/4 the size and less than half the weight but had double the power!!!! Evolution....
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Regional Moderator

So does that mean you're getting an 808, Chris?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Freedom of speech at work................

Whatever people say. The car does look good I'll say that!!
How long has the information been around about the 808? Since the first photo's/spyshots or announcements?

I'm curious because actual "for sale" day is usually around 6 to 8 months after initial announcement/leek.

Just my look it will be out in a couple of weeks to a month's time. Just as I've bought myself a new M1B TURBO .......lol

Oh well.

British Menace

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.