New XRAY 808

Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default fuel delivery issues?????

Well, I had a good race this past sunday. finished 4th in the A main, but I'm currently having an issue. I have alot of air bubbles in my fuel line, and I can't find the source. I replaced all the fuel lines, and also I replaced the o ring for the fule tank. It's causing me to flame out when a large air bubble reaches the carb. I only flame out when my fuel tank is opened for a pit stop. I can keep the rpm up to combat the air bubbles, but as soon as I'm back on the track, the engine acts really fat for about half a lap, then it's fine.

Can thr fuel tank have a crack along the seam? How do I check that, or could my pipe have issues and cause pressure to back up?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like you have a tiny piece of crap in the main needle, or fuel nipple.check this area out first , and don't take the needle out of it's bore ,remove it from the carb as an assembly so you can see if there is anything in it .Then look down in the carb wear it came from and see if there is something in there. I had a hair like piece of plastic cause me all sorts of grief just like your taking about.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

I've had a similar ongoing problem with my RC8. They had a bad run of tanks and I've ended up with four of them. The fuel pickup inside the tank had pinholes in it and it would introduce air in to the fuel line any time the tank wasn't completely full.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo101
I noticed you have a losi front air filter wire support....Can you take a pic of it installed?
I like how it stays away from the body plus it is secure from bouncing around.

Last edited by pumpkinfish; 11-30-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

What air filters do you recommend for a OS V Spec engine?

What after-run oil is recommended?

Do I need to get any kind of throttle or servo linkage parts that dont come in the kit?

My XB808 is currently waiting to be picked up at the post office!

Chirag
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
I use the losi airfilter and boot aswell, but I also like to use the prefilter. Pumpkin, your living dangerously
Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up Very nice...

I agree with XL here. I run the Losi air filter as well. Dry on the outside element and the real nasty red Mugen oil on the inside element. I run Outwears for real dusty outdoor tracks. I like that wire mod! I'm going to go that route as well.
This small filter keeps away from your body, fuel line routing and fuel filters as well. I never had a problem with them on the 8ight so I don't expect any here.
Good catch on that mounting wire!
TEX
Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I look forward to my 808 build this week!!! Should be here tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi8lunie
Does anybody have any photos of there throttle setup with ACE 1015 servo as i cannot get mine right. The servo is quite tall and is about 1mm off the chassis (which i think is to close anyway) using the rubbers but the brake linkages are not parrallel to the servo horn and the connections to the brake cams.

when i try and set it it binds the brake cam arms and is sticking, the manual is no good either as it shows the arms set in different holes but i have tried all and nothing seems to work. The arms are perfect when they rest on top of the brake cams so it as if the servo is 2-3 mm to high but i can't lower it.

The photos i took haven't come out but i will try and get a better camera if needed

Cheers

Lunie
Sightly bend the lower mount up and it will fix everything, this is one thing I noticed when I built my proto-type car. I listed it in the XRAY forum, but again, this was a while back.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
Well, I had a good race this past sunday. finished 4th in the A main, but I'm currently having an issue. I have alot of air bubbles in my fuel line, and I can't find the source. I replaced all the fuel lines, and also I replaced the o ring for the fule tank. It's causing me to flame out when a large air bubble reaches the carb. I only flame out when my fuel tank is opened for a pit stop. I can keep the rpm up to combat the air bubbles, but as soon as I'm back on the track, the engine acts really fat for about half a lap, then it's fine.

Can thr fuel tank have a crack along the seam? How do I check that, or could my pipe have issues and cause pressure to back up?
My car was doing the same thing and bogging slightly on the bottom, so I was messing with this at work and this worked...

Unscrew the plastic piece that holds the o-ring in and sand/file the top of this piece down so it squeezes the tank o-ring more and makes it seal better.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Good call! This is the first thing Kinwald did to his 808.

I just have too many of the Pro-Line air cleaners to throw them all away!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
My car was doing the same thing and bogging slightly on the bottom, so I was messing with this at work and this worked...

Unscrew the plastic piece that holds the o-ring in and sand/file the top of this piece down so it squeezes the tank o-ring more and makes it seal better.
First thing I did was unscrew the plastic piece that holds the o-ring in, but instead of what you did, I took plummers tape and wraped it around the plastic piece several times, then I put the O ring back on, so it would be pushed out a bit more, seemed to work for my qualifiers, but it started up again right before my a-main. I was lucky to keep it runn'n with throttle control. but after my pit and I got past the boggy feel, it was good untill the end of the race. I think I might buy a new tank, and experiment with the old one.

what is the best way to check tank pressure?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
Good call! This is the first thing Kinwald did to his 808.

I just have too many of the Pro-Line air cleaners to throw them all away!
I had too many of the losi airfilters just to throw away! that's how I arrived at that choice.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

I use the losi airfilter and boot aswell, but I also like to use the prefilter. Pumpkin, your living dangerously
This is right after a quick tear down and cleaning. I still have to change the inner air filter and re-oil the outer. If I put the outer on I'll forget to change the inner

I have been thinking about trying to fit an 8ight tank. I have always liked the "clunk" design and when I had my 8ight it saved me more than once with lazy marshalls. I know it is my fault I flipped, but I always marshall the way I want to be marshalled. Seems that isn't always the case.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

First thing I did was unscrew the plastic piece that holds the o-ring in, but instead of what you did, I took plummers tape and wraped it around the plastic piece several times, then I put the O ring back on, so it would be pushed out a bit more, seemed to work for my qualifiers, but it started up again right before my a-main. I was lucky to keep it runn'n with throttle control. but after my pit and I got past the boggy feel, it was good untill the end of the race. I think I might buy a new tank, and experiment with the old one.

what is the best way to check tank pressure?
Get a bowl of water and attach CLEAN fuel tubing to the fuel and pressure nipples. Blow in one and block the other while submerging the tank.

Air bubbles - Bad

Blue face and popped ears - Good

This is right after a quick tear down and cleaning. I still have to change the inner air filter and re-oil the outer. If I put the outer on I'll forget to change the inner

I have been thinking about trying to fit an 8ight tank. I have always liked the "clunk" design and when I had my 8ight it saved me more than once with lazy marshalls. I know it is my fault I flipped, but I always marshall the way I want to be marshalled. Seems that isn't always the case.
Fuel tank clunk

Take out the internal fuel filter, unscrew and block the stock fuel nipple location. Drill a hole in the front of the tank and put this bad boy in there (attached to the fuel line, of course) and put an inline fuel filter on there. You should be good!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.