New XRAY 808

Old 06-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MetalShield
I think Losi has a major problem with the ALL plastic servo tray... too many reports of burning servos and nothing done to fix the problem...
What do you mean they have done nothing!?! Losi issued an addendum to the manual, lol When I had my 8ight, I never burned out a servo, but then I didn't keep it long enough to push my luck.

The more I drive my 808, the more I love this thing. I was at a new track yesterday with huge jumps and had a few bad rolls while learning the course and it made it through with no breakage. Once I learned the course I was dialed. I noticed you don't have to push it as hard as a 777 but you don't have to drive with your ass puckered like an 8ight.

So far the only changes to Rocco's starting setup I have made is the ride height and 1k in the rear diff. I am thinking of trying out Josh Wheeler's set-up from Thunder Alley for contrast.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
What do you mean they have done nothing!?! Losi issued an addendum to the manual, lol When I had my 8ight, I never burned out a servo, but then I didn't keep it long enough to push my luck.

The more I drive my 808, the more I love this thing. I was at a new track yesterday with huge jumps and had a few bad rolls while learning the course and it made it through with no breakage. Once I learned the course I was dialed. I noticed you don't have to push it as hard as a 777 but you don't have to drive with your ass puckered like an 8ight.

So far the only changes to Rocco's starting setup I have made is the ride height and 1k in the rear diff. I am thinking of trying out Josh Wheeler's set-up from Thunder Alley for contrast.
I had my 8 for a year, about 7 gallons, and I never broke a servo. I think it's bad setup. I didn't even use orings under the radio box.

anyway. I agree about the 808. it only gets better, and I can relax my butt hole while I'm driving it!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Rocco thanks for your starting setup. I have struggled trying to set my 808 up my self for over a month with little success. Last night I put your setup on with a longer rear camber link and TQed.

In the main I had a lap on almost everyone when my clutch went. My fault 100%
Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Rocco thanks for your starting setup. I have struggled trying to set my 808 up my self for over a month with little success. Last night I put your setup on with a longer rear camber link and TQed.

In the main I had a lap on almost everyone when my clutch went. My fault 100%
Old 06-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Djballen
Can anyone confirm if this battery will fit in my new 808. Thanks

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14051
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Not sure on that one but this one fits perfect and is a pretty trouble free lipo that holds up well.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/15789

EA

+1 on the Pro-tek 2300 and Pro-tek reg. from A-main in the Xray battery boxes, the pack pretty much fills up the battery compartment. I put some cear rubbery 3M servo tape (like Parma) from wal-mart in a few spots and it's snug in there now.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

i need quick help!
the 808 is my first 1/8 buggy and i am not sure about adjusting gear mesh. had one shim in the diff but i am not sure if it is too tight now. what is the best way to find the correct mesh?

thanks!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last night I raced my 808 at new track that opened a few months ago. This was my first time on there new layout, approx 1 month old. I worked on my setup after each of the 3 heats, making small adjustments everytime. I qualified 6th in Pro-Buggy, and got ready for the A-Main. On the 2nd turn I got turned around by another buggy and was in last place by the end of the first lap. But by the 5th lap, I worked my way threw the pack and was in 1st. I was pushing it as hard as I ever drove before, and the 808 felt more stable then any other buggy I've owned before. I did 90% of my passing in the inside of the turns. I could "turn-in" sharper then many of the other buggy's (90% of the field were Losi) For the next 18 laps I held 1st place, but got pasted in the pits by 2nd place. (A very fast On-Road Racer) For the last 3 laps we were only a few seconds apart, and on the last lap I rolled it on its lid pushing too hard for me (My Only turn Marshaling) and 1st pulled away. I finished 2nd and it was my race to lose. Overall a good race..

But what really impressed me was while 1st and and myself lapped the entire field, and I lapped drivers I usually to have to push very hard to keep up with! No doubt if I was racing with my other buggy, I would was finished 4th-6th, with the race history I have with these guys. I beat drivers last night I have never beaten before (Unless they broke) And laped them..

This buggy is amazing IMO....

Last edited by Steve Walters; 06-15-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Good job steve.. I also had raced mine last week . I won a heat and the A-main , first race at this track with this buggy .This car is hooked up . The car fooled me at first. I thought I was going slower ,however it turns out I was going faster ...
Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM
BSC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I just ran a 4 day meet on a great track with a big back jump . The car was bullet proof , i thought on several occasions i would have broken something . The only issue was a top screw holdind on the front shock tower came loose which made the shock tower flex , this split the shock tower in several places where the shock mounts are . I removed the shock , spread the layers apart and filled it with CA glue , let it go tacky then put vice grips on it to squeeze it back together and left it for an hour to set . Where the top mount screws were i put longer ones in so they came out the back of the diff housing and put nuts on them . When i put the shock back on i put a large washer on either side of the tower to brace the area more . It didn't move again after that , it doesn't even look like it had split and the mounts with the nuts on the end made the shock tower firmer because the screws could be tightened more . I'm going to replace it now the race meet is finished .
I'm thinking of going the alloy front shock tower next time , do you think this would be stronger ?

Here is some pics of the track at night
Attached Thumbnails New XRAY 808-img195.jpg   New XRAY 808-img196.jpg   New XRAY 808-img197.jpg   New XRAY 808-img198.jpg  
Old 06-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yea some of the screws need to be a bit longer. I push my buggy hard to havent broken a thing. I did notice some of the screws for the plastic in the radio tray for the bottom strip a little easier, only problem with metric screws really the threads are too fine. I stuck some 5-40 screws through the rear wing mount that threaded fully through the plastic and a bit out the other side. Holds 10x better.

Im thinking of trying a diffrent setup. I run on a track that goes from slightly wet to dry and a bit dusty with hard packed dirt, any thoughts on setup and tires for this?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I think this car has stepped up my game a bit. Today was one of our summer series races, and I managed to qualify 3rd, when I'm usually qualifing 6-7 or 8th. It was all good in my main, untill I lost a screw, the one holding my tie rod to my right reat hub. The screw was long enough, The nut just backed off.

But reguardless, I was very impressed with the car. next week is our 2nd round of the North Pro series race, and I am excited by my results so far. I found a set up that is great, it works best on a rough track that has been lightly sprayed down.

Anyone else gearing up for the North pro series race in Evansdale Iowa?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
I found a set up that is great, it works best on a rough track that has been lightly sprayed down.

Don't be shy, share the setup with your Xray family, lol
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

I'll fill out a set up sheet, and post it later
Old 06-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone else gearing up for the North pro series race in Evansdale Iowa?
Yes, but for the one in Central California in two weeks...
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had a bit of a problem with the 808 this week end.It was dialed as far as steering and motor,but the track was very bumpy not really potholes but bumpy.The surface was funny its black turf and creates small pieces of dry,hard clay that lies on the surface. This creates a ball bearing effect. So it was slippery as well.So now I need help,as you go around the turns, it sometimes hook and spin around the on the bumpy areas the back-end flips up and because of the surface (ball bearings) you change direction and loose control.Theres no big jumps so I went softer at the rear but it made it worse. I ended up with 1.3/35 in the rear and 1.4/45 in front. What was I doing wrong.What about ride height,droop and shock angle,was this perhaps the way to go??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.