New XRAY 808

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Litlle advice needed. I'm Finally going to wheel my new buggy this Sat. Just track prep and practice. I have put on Rocco's starting setup to the T. The track has a pretty fine dirt that is loose. Not too tight but a few tichnical sections. Gonna run either K2's or Bowfighters. What would be the first few things to change on the car to run on this surface? Just want to make 1 small change at a time to dial it in. I won't have different springs or sway bars so that won't be an option this time. Any advice?
Hmmm, if its a really loose track, you may want to try to bring your shocks in on the towers, then go down a little in the diff oil (overall), you could also try to move the outer rear link to the middle hole, this will calm the rear down a little.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Would it help to make the sway bars as long as possible? Maybe go to the outside hole. and bring it into the collar some. At least if it starts to get rough.

I really got some use out of digital calipers building this kit. Don't want to get it dirty breaking in my new motor.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bored last night and decided to see if any parts from my previous Mugen would fit on the 808. here's my findings.

1.) I tried the MBX5-T wing mount....holes are off by about 1mm (damn!)

2.) Tried the aluminum wing mount braces. DING! those fit nicely.

3.) Tried the Racer's Edge hardcoated sway bar mounts (same color as other hard coated bits on 808)...DING! those are another perfect fit! (though they have a slightly different fillet on the top corners. They look pretty slick on there.

that was the extent of my tests...im sure there are other things that will transfer over. I really want to check the center diff top plate...maybe tonight i'll check that.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Would it help to make the sway bars as long as possible? Maybe go to the outside hole. and bring it into the collar some. At least if it starts to get rough.

I really got some use out of digital calipers building this kit. Don't want to get it dirty breaking in my new motor.

Keep those on the inner hole. It is my understanding that the outer holes are there so you can use the old sway bars from the EC and others.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

oopps
Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Does anybody have a tight track setup yet? medium traction thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default VS

Im curious im sure some of you guys have xray 808....

Im wondering whats best xray 808 vs rc8 vs 8ight.. which it most one is notch of choices?

Im still stuck up with choices what i should buy..
Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
Hmmm, if its a really loose track, you may want to try to bring your shocks in on the towers, then go down a little in the diff oil (overall), you could also try to move the outer rear link to the middle hole, this will calm the rear down a little.
Rocco,

This sounds like what I was facing tonight while practicing. How low would you go? I am currently running your starting setup with a little more ride height as our track was destroyed after some nasty storms the other night.

I was thinking 3-3-1. Would this be too light?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default XB8EC Center Diff

The XB8EC thread seems to be dead, so I figured someone in here should be able to answer my question. I have a new XB8EC. I purchased it from someone on RC Tech. He had already built it. All I had to do was put the finising touches on it. I checked the diffs, and changed the oil in them to 5f-7c-3r. First time on the track, super loose and power went away after 1 lap. After further investigation, discovered that the set screw that conects the front shaft to the front diff had fallen out, the guy that built it must not know about Locktite. Anyway, I replaced the set screw, put it on the track and literally could not get around the track once. after checking it out, discovered that the center diff did a complete meltdown. I realize that the initial problem with the missing set screw may have started the meltdown of the center diff due to the slop created with it missing. But before I put the new one in, are there any tips I need to know when building the diff. Also should the gaskets on the diffs be dry when built or do you put anything on them to help seal them up. When I changed the oil in all of them, the gaskets were soaked at the time. I have ordered new gaskets and I am going to check front and rear again. The oils I am using are Losi, are the weights equivilant?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by svines1972
The XB8EC thread seems to be dead, so I figured someone in here should be able to answer my question. I have a new XB8EC. I purchased it from someone on RC Tech. He had already built it. All I had to do was put the finising touches on it. I checked the diffs, and changed the oil in them to 5f-7c-3r. First time on the track, super loose and power went away after 1 lap. After further investigation, discovered that the set screw that conects the front shaft to the front diff had fallen out, the guy that built it must not know about Locktite. Anyway, I replaced the set screw, put it on the track and literally could not get around the track once. after checking it out, discovered that the center diff did a complete meltdown. I realize that the initial problem with the missing set screw may have started the meltdown of the center diff due to the slop created with it missing. But before I put the new one in, are there any tips I need to know when building the diff. Also should the gaskets on the diffs be dry when built or do you put anything on them to help seal them up. When I changed the oil in all of them, the gaskets were soaked at the time. I have ordered new gaskets and I am going to check front and rear again. The oils I am using are Losi, are the weights equivilant?
Buy shims too ..... to make the gears ( inside the gear box ) closer together. I think xray also sell those shims. Also wet the diff gasket with silicone oil from suspension, so it doesn't move during diff tightening, so you get perfect seal tight.

I think 5 - 7 - 3 oil diff setup is too difficult to drive ( unless your home track is high traction type with small jumps ).
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

those diffs are the best
I have 5 gallons on mine (TQ) and still use the original diff o-rings and gaskets
it came with ! fr/ce/rr , clutchbell and main gear too..
I always put a sniff of graphite powder in my diffs
shimms at the inside gears are just right, no other shimming necessary
on bulkheads for me

38T front conical gear and front caster excenters 1. down
for steering
and try 5000/3500/5000... just locks the rear of an xray in..

Last edited by speedy2; 06-13-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

This was at Revelations in Montclair, CA. I will also be trying it at Thunder Alley in Beaumont,CA.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
Rocco,

This sounds like what I was facing tonight while practicing. How low would you go? I am currently running your starting setup with a little more ride height as our track was destroyed after some nasty storms the other night.

I was thinking 3-3-1. Would this be too light?
3-3-1 Should be alright, but you will just have to check it out on your track. With the lighter oils, you will also need to change the oil a little more often.

Originally Posted by svines1972
If he didn't loctite that set screw, he probably didn't do any other screw, so heads up!
The best my EC had ever driven was when I ran this setup, which I stuck with and worked very well everywhere I ran it after this race.

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...29&setup=xb8ec
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey guys im just wondering if the 808 handles anything like a losi 8ight

im thinking about getting one but dont want another losi as mine never rearly suited me
Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 12a_rx2
hey guys im just wondering if the 808 handles anything like a losi 8ight

im thinking about getting one but dont want another losi as mine never rearly suited me

I just came from over 2 years of hard racing on my 8IGHT. I don't have much time on my 808 yet, but have done some compression.

Instruction: Both are very good, but the X-Ray goes into more depth about the build.

Quality: X-Ray hands down. I have never built a buggy that was so well designed. The material use it gets a perfect 10!

Durablitiy: I rarely broke parts on my 8ight, but wore out parts frequently, and was easily stripped out after a few rebuilds. I haven't had much time on my 808, but from fellow racers who have 5+ Gallons on theres, with zero breakage, I would have to guess my X-Ray will be.

Tunability: Both are good, but the 808 has a few more adjustments for super fine tuning if needed.

Overall Performance: For the limited amount of time on my 808, I like it better so far. Definitely more stable, without that super fine edge I have to be on with my Losi all the time. Jumps the same, but the shocks are better on the 808. I can push it threw the ruts a little harder without it throwing it in funny directions, or upsetting it hard. Feel to be a little more agile too (808). I would give the Losi a high score, but the X-Ray would be just a little higher.

Value: IMO, you get what you pay for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.