New XRAY 808

Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well I agree the car didn't need much in the way of changes anyway.I've had no drivetrain bearing problems since I switched to the 3 bearing pinions and greased them as per the tip..

I'm not impressed with the new cvd's though.One of the main reasons I liked the xray design was the captured pins inside the bearings all over as I was fed up losing pins or having grub screws back out.looking at the photos the are now not one but TWO screws to shake loose.They seem now to be relying on the threaded cvd pivot screw to hold the pin in place(I can see an immediate need for heatshrink over that part of the cvd to prevent the pin flying out if the screw loosens)and there is the screw that holds the cvd to the pinion.Why the hell can't they make the end of the pinion square and the hole in the cvd the same so that if the screw loosens the bloody thing can't rotate so you lose the drive to the rear of the car?I was really hoping to see a cvd directly attached to the pinion with some kind of locking collar to make pin loss impossible.As I'm not suffering bearing problems I'm not gonna rush out and install this myself.

I don't like the black alloy color either but as it's cosmetic who gives a s**t handling wise.nice to see the alloy holders as standard and not an option though.I'm curious as to how it remains legal width wise if the new wider suspension holders have the same arms as the older cars.I know there was the optional hexes with +2mm each side but the photos I've seen of the new alloy blocks look to be a lot more than 2mm wider each side.Guess I'll have to wait to get a 2011 alongside my 2010 to see for sure.

looks like the new front and rear alloy steering blocks are still an option though.Don't see them in the photos above and don't see how the top mounting for the rears would work with a plastic block...

New body looks nice..but again I don't think it will take my hiflo filters so there again I'll stay where I am with the jconcepts body.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

By the way anybody notice that the photo of the radio tray on it's own isn't the correct one? it's still the old photo ...look at the photo of the car showing the drivetrain with a transponder in place...totally different tray..ooops xray..
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
By the way anybody notice that the photo of the radio tray on it's own isn't the correct one? it's still the old photo ...look at the photo of the car showing the drivetrain with a transponder in place...totally different tray..ooops xray..
If you look carefully, you can still see the nuts holding the suspension arm hinge pins instead of composite eccentric bushings...
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yup and in the pic with the body on you can still se the older front and rear uprights.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Anyone noticed anything missing?

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...kategoria=2302
2011 main news (24th December 2010):
• New chassis
• New and improved handling
• New suspension geometry
• New improved weight balance
• New diff bulkheads
• New central drivetrain system
• New central drive shafts
• New pinion gears
• New diff ball-bearings
• New shock -rings
• New rear brace
• New front and rear alu suspension holders
• New composite eccentric bushings
• New suspension pins
• New high-downforce body
• New lightweight diff outdrives
• New graphite radio plate

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...kategoria=2327
2011 XRAY 808 New Specs (3rd February 2011):
• New chassis to accomodate all new drivetrain parts
• New and improved handling
• New suspension geometry with multi-adjustable roll centers
• New improved weight balance with more centrally-positioned rotary moment
• New diff bulkheads to accomodate new drivetrain parts
• New central drivetrain system
• New central CVD drive shafts
• New pinion gears
• New diff ball-bearings
• New better-sealing shock O–rings
• New rear brace to accomodate new central drive shafts
• New front and rear alu suspension holders with eccentric roll centers
• New composite eccentric bushings
• New more robust suspension pins
• New high-downforce body
• New graphite radio plate more securely placed between throttle servo and spur gear
• New updated radio box
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin57
The only difference between the 808 and the newer buggies is the 808 doesn't have a split radio tray and a f&$%** up throttle brake linkage and as far as xray loosing customers is stupid they will actually gain customers since they have fixed the problem that drove people away
Agreed, I have been driving the 2010 with modded drivetrain and it is awesome. It will be nice to actually replace the kyosho CVD's with Xray durability and longevity.

@JonW, If you haven't tried the overdrive on the front of the buggy, it is a whole new animal. Highly recommend! The rear end is super planted but yet the car has gobs of steering! The car can be driven super hard, almost idiotically, before getting out of shape.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

No light weight outdrives!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bcr500
No light weight outdrives!
Winner winner! Chicken dinner!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Ron, I am going to try one on Cade's buggy, I guess my other question would be will it work with the new drivetrain?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Radio box

What changed in the radio box? In the images remains the same.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cflopes
What changed in the radio box? In the images remains the same.
I would say it has allittle of the back corner shaved for the new rear drive shafts.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfleck
@JonW, If you haven't tried the overdrive on the front of the buggy, it is a whole new animal. Highly recommend! The rear end is super planted but yet the car has gobs of steering! The car can be driven super hard, almost idiotically, before getting out of shape.
Agreed on the front overdrive pulley. It made my buggy insane! I don't see running an 808 without it ever again.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

anyone know where the personal transponder is mounted?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
Winner winner! Chicken dinner!
I could care less about light weight outer drives. Ill take the heavy more durable ones as they seem to last longer. Most of us drivers need reliability over light weight anyways. Even without the lightweight outers it is still one of the lightest buggies out. XRAY did what it needed to do and fixed a lingering problem with the drivetrain. In my mind the buggy is golden. Black Gold who cares, once your racing on the track it will be brown from all the dirt. You aint going to a car show. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racerx336
Agreed on the front overdrive pulley. It made my buggy insane! I don't see running an 808 without it ever again.
What is this overdrive pulley you guys seem to like so much. Do you have a link to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.