New XRAY 808

Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM
  #8746  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
BuggyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 7,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
Maybe we need to start a support group.Hello I am an xray hoarder and here is my parts box



Not if you buy from jazz240

I ran kyosho's for 20 years then switched to xray 18 months ago.I loved my kyoshos..tanks every one but the xray is simply faster for me.Turns in fast and with proper servicing every race I have zero bearing problems.I don't quite understand peoples problem with maintenance anyway.no matter what car i run I would pull every bearing before a race and spin it with my fingers to check for any grittiness.No matter 8x16,13x19,13x20,8x14..size doesn't matter grit or dust can get in any bearing and ruin it.It is simply standard pre-race check for me.I do bearings,check all plastic and pivot ball joints are tight and not about to pop off during race,all cvd pivot pins for play or wear and then just a general once over on A arms etc looking for cracks.My favorite bit on the 808 is I can remove the pinion set up from the front or rear without unbolting the bulkhead from the chassis and I luuuuuuuuuuurve the split center diff mounts.(always fitted the alloy fioroni ones to my kyoshos but big $$$).All this takes a couple of hours inc changing all diff and shock oils.I can't imagine NOT doing this before a race.
In return I have hammered the shit out of my 808 this season and nothing broke,and I hit some posts and walls etc at silly speeds,just bounced and drove on xray plastics seem second to none.(talk to mp9 owners about broken A arms )my A arms that I have just replaced to have a definite curve to them after a full year but that's no biggie.I also think having the arms and cvd's the same on both sides of the car so you only need to buy one spare and it fits both is a great idea.I only used up my spares cause I was putting together a 2nd buggy.
I'll wait and see what 2011 brings but i don't see me rushing out to change anything for next year.
We can call it RC Anonymous. We can have our first RA meeting.
BuggyKing is offline  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
  #8747  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
BuggyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 7,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Great I don't want to have to replace bearings everytime I run my car.
BuggyKing is offline  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM
  #8748  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (35)
 
mmaattppllaayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 836
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Default

Would anyone want 2 DS1313 servos? Im really trying to get rid of them for some christmas gift money.
mmaattppllaayy is offline  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 PM
  #8749  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by mcion
I dont think maintenance is the problem. If you do enough research you will find that people have lost bearings after just replacing them. Also why should I have to grease the hell out of the diff and pinion, superglue a plastic bearing adapter, and put a boot on it for it to survive. That takes too much time, especially if you wanna test at the track or something. I just did my diffs yesterday for a race this weekend with the modded drivetrain, all 3 diffs took 20 minutes. Before it would take about 2 hrs because of cleaning grease off, regreasing, zip tie boot back on, line up hole in boot for driveshaft to be at correct angle and so on.
If you are running the stock drive train the reason WHY the grease tip is it save you a heap of money & wrecked race days. The real hard ship of home made glueing a spacer & zip tieing a boot on again save you money & no wear to the pins.
I published the grease tip to solve a problem which it did, the boot tip was a progression solving again other issues & cutting down the need to maintain as much. There is only one slight down side with a small amount of friction due to grease so spinning on a bench you notice on the track you wont.

With this tip & boot mod did nothing else to the beaings & pins for 15 hours so dont think it was so much of a hardship now for what is stock parts.

If you dont like that little bit of work dont mock it or put other of the car, be patient as 2011 is not far off.
Bren Ralls is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 AM
  #8750  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (74)
 
aussies1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LAND DOWN UNDER
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bren Ralls
If you are running the stock drive train the reason WHY the grease tip is it save you a heap of money & wrecked race days. The real hard ship of home made glueing a spacer & zip tieing a boot on again save you money & no wear to the pins.
I published the grease tip to solve a problem which it did, the boot tip was a progression solving again other issues & cutting down the need to maintain as much. There is only one slight down side with a small amount of friction due to grease so spinning on a bench you notice on the track you wont.

With this tip & boot mod did nothing else to the beaings & pins for 15 hours so dont think it was so much of a hardship now for what is stock parts.

If you dont like that little bit of work dont mock it or put other of the car, be patient as 2011 is not far off.
its all good mate looking forward to the 2011 model, do you think there will be an upgrade kit from the 010 to the 011 or will it just be a new car only?
cheers
aussies1129 is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 AM
  #8751  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by aussies1129
its all good mate looking forward to the 2011 model, do you think there will be an upgrade kit from the 010 to the 011 or will it just be a new car only?
cheers
I would guess so as most parts can interchange
Bren Ralls is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 AM
  #8752  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (74)
 
aussies1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LAND DOWN UNDER
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bren Ralls
I would guess so as most parts can interchange
I hope so
thanks
aussies1129 is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 AM
  #8753  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,414
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aussies1129
its all good mate looking forward to the 2011 model, do you think there will be an upgrade kit from the 010 to the 011 or will it just be a new car only?
cheers
Don't get it twisted Bren, no knock on the tip, definitely appreciated. I'm just saying coming from other buggies, and according to manual it is something that shouldnt be needed to make drivetrain survive. I would have to say on the track it is a big difference, my off power steering and rotation is greatly improved since the drivetrain being modded and running faster laptimes. Not to mention the piece of mind of knowing your drive train is up to the task instead of worrying about it all the time.

Last edited by mcion; 12-09-2010 at 07:18 AM.
mcion is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 AM
  #8754  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
vince7870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 694
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I started my mod last night spending a majority of the time neatly dremeling front case for steering rack clearance and rear plastic chassis brace. I opted for the fioroni mp9 lightened center driveline. Besides the sanding drum lines on plastic it looks soooo factory right now. I can already feel the freeness.

I will post pics later.

It unfortunately will be a shelf queen as I am eagerly awaiting my new serpent.

I'm only mad I didn't do it last year, my 2010 808 is the best car I've ever had...except for the little problem of the 50/50 on the diff bearings surviving a raceday
vince7870 is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 AM
  #8755  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,414
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vince7870
I started my mod last night spending a majority of the time neatly dremeling front case for steering rack clearance and rear plastic chassis brace. I opted for the fioroni mp9 lightened center driveline. Besides the sanding drum lines on plastic it looks soooo factory right now. I can already feel the freeness.

I will post pics later.

It unfortunately will be a shelf queen as I am eagerly awaiting my new serpent.

I'm only mad I didn't do it last year, my 2010 808 is the best car I've ever had...except for the little problem of the 50/50 on the diff bearings surviving a raceday

You might as well have bought the fioroni rear brace to match your driveline as no dremel is required. 2011 coming with new mods, you will be back to driving the Xray.
mcion is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 AM
  #8756  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
vince7870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 694
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mcion
You might as well have bought the fioroni rear brace to match your driveline as no dremel is required. 2011 coming with new mods, you will be back to driving the Xray.
You are probably correct but I hate-despise that ugly ass fioroni blue.

The drivetrain is a nice hardoated color it looks dialed.

I don't mind the brace being grinded down, it still feels as solid as when I started and it honostly doesn't look bad at all. I used the big sanding drum and besides getting melted plastic shot in my face it looks clean.


2011 Xray maybe...Im a junkie and like to try it all!
vince7870 is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM
  #8757  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by mcion
Don't get it twisted Bren, no knock on the tip, definitely appreciated. I'm just saying coming from other buggies, and according to manual it is something that shouldnt be needed to make drivetrain survive. I would have to say on the track it is a big difference, my off power steering and rotation is greatly improved since the drivetrain being modded and running faster laptimes. Not to mention the piece of mind of knowing your drive train is up to the task instead of worrying about it all the time.
Not twisted but I guess the usual thing what we try to say or mean comes across different to what was intended so no worries.

The grease tip does add some friction but was a fix at the time to the problem. Things have progressed & is a step forward back to the old system so wether the mod described or the potential new system answers the reliability issue in this area.
Bren Ralls is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
  #8758  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
mazmorbid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 458
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default

hey Bren, when you said the 2011 will have new shocks, will they be a refinement of the 2010 shocks or a complete re-design?
mazmorbid is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
  #8759  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 192
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

hey guys, i'm trying to set the droop on my xb808. the setup sheets i'm using use a height gauge to set droop, but i'm used to measuring center to center on the shocks for my losi. does anyone know what the center to center shock length should be on the xray? Thanks
R.M.S is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM
  #8760  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by mazmorbid
hey Bren, when you said the 2011 will have new shocks, will they be a refinement of the 2010 shocks or a complete re-design?
I do not believe i have ever said anything about new shocks, so sorry if you been mislead. If xray do bring any changes in this area its nothing that im aware of or project im involved in .
Bren Ralls is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.