New XRAY 808

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
I wish I had the $$ to hoard xray parts. They are quite expensive to do so.
They are slightly more expensive but you don't have to replace them often...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grizz1
Hi Jazz, just wondering if the lack of handling was always there, or only after you fitted the alloy braces ? I believe the buggy runs much better with the standard plastic braces. I gotta say my 808 has heaps of steering, with more easily dialled in if I need it just through roll centre changes. I run the King Headz extended mount, but have always run the stock plastic braces ?
Sounds like you have found a good match with A8 though. Quite a few of them running here now and they seem very nimble and quick, plus the price is great compared to a lot of other kits on the market.
I ran the stock braces for pretty much the whole time Grizz. I only switched to the stiff ones when i started blowing bearings. my problem with the steering was two fold. First off I usually take my turns off power but the only way I could get it to work well for me was with the Active front diff with 1000 oil in it. When I tried to change my driving style to use more on power steering the buggy pushed allot. Remember that I am in the USA and we have totally different tracks and dirt here than New Zealand. I dont know, like I said it could have just been my crappy driving, but I got tired of always fighting it and finally gave up. I dont have to fight with My A8 at all. It drives itself and suits my driving to a tee. I can roll all my turns at practically no speed at all and it turns on a dime.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I am opposite of Jaz, I use to run the RC8B, but I decided to give Xray a try and it seems I am faster with the XRAY. At the same time getting faster with this car and also the extra durability is a plus, and now with the Kyosho modded drivetrain being so smooth, the car is awesome. I can honestly say I am very happy with this car. I was thinking of trying an Agama, then i raced with a guy who was on his second day with the car and he had a light crash and the Front A-Arm hinge pin came out. So I thought there is no way I wanna go back to having stuff break all the time. So for the time being Xray is where I think I will stay especially after seeing all the 2011 upgrades in action, no brainer.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcion
I am opposite of Jaz, I use to run the RC8B, but I decided to give Xray a try and it seems I am faster with the XRAY. At the same time getting faster with this car and also the extra durability is a plus, and now with the Kyosho modded drivetrain being so smooth, the car is awesome. I can honestly say I am very happy with this car. I was thinking of trying an Agama, then i raced with a guy who was on his second day with the car and he had a light crash and the Front A-Arm hinge pin came out. So I thought there is no way I wanna go back to having stuff break all the time. So for the time being Xray is where I think I will stay especially after seeing all the 2011 upgrades in action, no brainer.
pm sent.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I was thinking of trying an Agama, then i raced with a guy who was on his second day with the car and he had a light crash and the Front A-Arm hinge pin came out. So I thought there is no way I wanna go back to having stuff break all the time. So for the time being Xray is where I think I will stay especially after seeing all the 2011 upgrades in action, no brainer.
Have to agree with the durability of the Xray, I have only just started racing 1/8 offroad (never ran gas before) and I have absolutely hammered my 808, every time I pull it down it totally amazes me how it's just as I put it together the first time, the only thing I have broken was one front diff casing, the little lug that locates the front arm holder broke off, mind you I was just coming off the straight, got a little sideways (off the track lol) put a little too much power down and slammed into the light pole still ran fine all day, only noticed once I had pulled it down.

Can't wait for the 2011 upgrades
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I ran the stock braces for pretty much the whole time Grizz. I only switched to the stiff ones when i started blowing bearings. my problem with the steering was two fold. First off I usually take my turns off power but the only way I could get it to work well for me was with the Active front diff with 1000 oil in it. When I tried to change my driving style to use more on power steering the buggy pushed allot. Remember that I am in the USA and we have totally different tracks and dirt here than New Zealand. I dont know, like I said it could have just been my crappy driving, but I got tired of always fighting it and finally gave up. I dont have to fight with My A8 at all. It drives itself and suits my driving to a tee. I can roll all my turns at practically no speed at all and it turns on a dime.
Cheers Jaz, just a thought.

I agree totally with what you say about the tracks and even soil / clay make up. I know quite a few guys here that have tried out some of the trick set ups on the forums for the US tracks on various brands of buggy, and their cars handle like a bag of A holes on our tracks here Setting up your car just for you is half the fun I reckon.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
I have a whole box of parts still in their original packings! My doctor said I have a serious issue with buying and hoarding parts, he suggested me to squeeze my stress release ball before clicking the buy button...

Hi guys! I am a XRAY parts hoarder...
Huh, atleast I found someone just like me. Just like you have a box full of parts for my 808 every option part (Some stock parts are better for handling but I like the bling bling) I can get and every part I think that could break I have it (I really cant remmember when I broke one). But I do replace the arms often cause they will warp in time but not really an issue. The 808 is a tank and I will never sell mine. I won many races with it. But I find it boring to drive already time for a change.

The agama made me faster and its a super buggy in all aspect but cannot compare with the built quality of an xray. I am not saying its not durable cause surprisingly it is. You cannot beat its price. I got all options parts for it ( Thanks to James A.) and its about half the price of the option parts of an xray.

I am getting a hang of how to set up the car. I was trying to make it drive like an xray but it simply is a different car.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

BTW, I am running the Bulkhead mod already. Made a lot of difference. Hopefully Xray fixes the issue of the 808 bulkhead.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Speaking of the stock chassis braces v the aluminum ones, I am yet to find a track that I'm quicker with the aluminum ones.. The plastic stock ones make the car that much easier to drive..
Old 12-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
I have a whole box of parts still in their original packings! My doctor said I have a serious issue with buying and hoarding parts, he suggested me to squeeze my stress release ball before clicking the buy button...

Hi guys! I am a XRAY parts hoarder...
Maybe we need to start a support group.Hello I am an xray hoarder and here is my parts box

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
I wish I had the $$ to hoard xray parts. They are quite expensive to do so.
Not if you buy from jazz240

I ran kyosho's for 20 years then switched to xray 18 months ago.I loved my kyoshos..tanks every one but the xray is simply faster for me.Turns in fast and with proper servicing every race I have zero bearing problems.I don't quite understand peoples problem with maintenance anyway.no matter what car i run I would pull every bearing before a race and spin it with my fingers to check for any grittiness.No matter 8x16,13x19,13x20,8x14..size doesn't matter grit or dust can get in any bearing and ruin it.It is simply standard pre-race check for me.I do bearings,check all plastic and pivot ball joints are tight and not about to pop off during race,all cvd pivot pins for play or wear and then just a general once over on A arms etc looking for cracks.My favorite bit on the 808 is I can remove the pinion set up from the front or rear without unbolting the bulkhead from the chassis and I luuuuuuuuuuurve the split center diff mounts.(always fitted the alloy fioroni ones to my kyoshos but big $$$).All this takes a couple of hours inc changing all diff and shock oils.I can't imagine NOT doing this before a race.
In return I have hammered the shit out of my 808 this season and nothing broke,and I hit some posts and walls etc at silly speeds,just bounced and drove on xray plastics seem second to none.(talk to mp9 owners about broken A arms )my A arms that I have just replaced to have a definite curve to them after a full year but that's no biggie.I also think having the arms and cvd's the same on both sides of the car so you only need to buy one spare and it fits both is a great idea.I only used up my spares cause I was putting together a 2nd buggy.
I'll wait and see what 2011 brings but i don't see me rushing out to change anything for next year.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Maybe that's part of my problem. I don't have time to completely strip down my car every week. I clean it and lube the wheel bearings, check for loose screws and worn or broken parts and race it again. Every 2 gallons it gets all new bearings and diff rebuilds. I only do crazy maintenance on my clutch and engine. Nothing leaks on my Agama so I don't even need to open the bulkheads every week. I can tell by spinning the tires if my driveline bearings are good.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't race every weekend probably helps some..I only race maybe twice a month at most.Even if there are more races than that I usually have work commitments on Sundays that clash.Mostly May and Sept are work heavy for me and of course those are the favorite months here for holding races..duh! I only do a full check before a race day.Sometimes I can skip a bit too if I'm busy or lazy hoping to hit a few more tracks next year though.Plus I'm racing two classes with the addition of brushless..Yay!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Maybe that's part of my problem. I don't have time to completely strip down my car every week. I clean it and lube the wheel bearings, check for loose screws and worn or broken parts and race it again. Every 2 gallons it gets all new bearings and diff rebuilds. I only do crazy maintenance on my clutch and engine. Nothing leaks on my Agama so I don't even need to open the bulkheads every week. I can tell by spinning the tires if my driveline bearings are good.
That is exactly what I do as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
Maybe we need to start a support group.Hello I am an xray hoarder and here is my parts box

Not if you buy from jazz240

I don't quite understand peoples problem with maintenance anyway

I dont think maintenance is the problem. If you do enough research you will find that people have lost bearings after just replacing them. Also why should I have to grease the hell out of the diff and pinion, superglue a plastic bearing adapter, and put a boot on it for it to survive. That takes too much time, especially if you wanna test at the track or something. I just did my diffs yesterday for a race this weekend with the modded drivetrain, all 3 diffs took 20 minutes. Before it would take about 2 hrs because of cleaning grease off, regreasing, zip tie boot back on, line up hole in boot for driveshaft to be at correct angle and so on.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

I dont think maintenance is the problem. If you do enough research you will find that people have lost bearings after just replacing them. Also why should I have to grease the hell out of the diff and pinion, superglue a plastic bearing adapter, and put a boot on it for it to survive. That takes too much time, especially if you wanna test at the track or something. I just did my diffs yesterday for a race this weekend with the modded drivetrain, all 3 diffs took 20 minutes. Before it would take about 2 hrs because of cleaning grease off, regreasing, zip tie boot back on, line up hole in boot for driveshaft to be at correct angle and so on.
I feel you brother. I question this myself before why I do that. Let just say with the pinion problem i read here and there (though its not really a problem for me cause the first time my bearing failed I got lazy and did not bothered to replace or checked them) I take time now to check my car everytime I run it even for practice run. I do this with every buggy I own. The xray is the easiest. 6 Screws and the diffs are out. 3 little screws to get the pinion out regrease them and put it back together, 10 minute work. Drive train is not as free as I want to though. With the Mod, even if I think I dont need to check it I still do. Its a habit for me already. Peace of Mind for me that all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.