New XRAY 808

Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
I had around 8 hours race time on my current set of 13x20 bearings and today I put almost another 5 hours running on them all flat out on a tarmac track for a club demo day.. and I mean flat out..we got paid to scream around a track all day 10-6 with a free lunch thrown in I did a check and grease of the rear bearings last night..still as new..didn't touch the front ones at all,in fact I don't think I've checked those in over 8 hours runtime now.I'll be interested to see what comes out next year but I'm having zero problems with my bearings and they spin plenty free enough for me.
I have some big jumps at my track and I think thats where the bearings are taking the most abuse, thats why I have had a bearing failure in the front twice and rear once??? I have done the grease thing and it seems to be holding for now.
cheers
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I blew the standard front bearings in 2 races but that was running in pure flour dust which we all know the xray metal shielded bearings don't keep out.Since then I've not had a single issue with the front.I do have the outdrive slot dremeled slightly longer in my center diff though and I jump smoothly
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

anyone need anything form vp pro? Im placing an order later today for them
Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I did this conversion with the driveline in August. I demand 1 dollar from each person who copies my idea :-)

Just kidding, for those who dont understand why this is the best solution, dont bother to do it then.
Check out my tread on the xray forum. Titel" The final solution........"
(my first post here so i am not allowed to post urls???? )

And dont cut the rearbrace. Just drill two new holes in the chassis a couple of mm out of center and place it there. It will fit nicer if You dremel a couple of degrees at the end that attach the rear shock tower. Much easier. I used the alu and the plastic. And is it stiffer or looser, No...just rumors from people who think they feel the cars difference. If You took a blind test nobody would know.

I have used this solution for a long time and have not used a minut of maintance on the diffs. Its a big relif. And the bonus is the smoother driveline that have no resistance compered to the original. Even worse with the 3 diff bearing system. Piece of crap the whole solution.

The parts list that mcion used is the correct one.

But why do this now?? I bet that the new car coming will have my solution all over it LOL.

Wait with the transfer untill we see whats coming. I am looking forward to see what xray will say when they go back to the old driveline type. Will they admit the problems they had for 3 years? I dont think so :-)
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by extra
I did this conversion with the driveline in August. I demand 1 dollar from each person who copies my idea :-)

Just kidding, for those who dont understand why this is the best solution, dont bother to do it then.

And dont cut the rearbrace. Just drill two new holes in the chassis a couple of mm out of center and place it there. It will fit nicer if You dremel a couple of degrees at the end that attach the rear shock tower. Much easier. I used the alu and the plastic. And is it stiffer or looser, No...just rumors from people who think they feel the cars difference. If You took a blind test nobody would know.

I have used this solution for a long time and have not used a minut of maintance on the diffs. Its a big relif. And the bonus is the smoother driveline that have no resistance compered to the original. Even worse with the 3 diff bearing system. Piece of crap the whole solution.

But why do this now?? I bet that the new car coming will have my solution all over it LOL.

Wait with the transfer untill we see whats coming. I am looking forward to see what xray will say when they go back to the old driveline type. Will they admit the problems they had for 3 years? I dont think so :-)
The reason I do it now is because i simply cannot wait that long and at the same time something this fun should not be an inconvience as having to grease up the stock setup so much. It was a no brainer as by the time they release and as much as I run my car I would have saved money on bearings and also saved time which in my world and most people Time = Money. This is my weekend fun which my wife is trying to limit to 2 times a month lol so now I can spend more time driving and less time cleaning greasing.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

sounds like you should mod your wife and not the drivetrain ..or mod both for a smoother running life.. hehe kidding..
Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by extra

it dosent really matter if they admit the problem I hope that like you said get it all sorted out with the 2011 model. I will and most probably a heap of other guys are keen to see whats in stall for the 2011, they have the worlds tourer title which xray won this year, now the next biggest thing is to get the 1/8 worlds in the bag in 2 yrs wouldnt that be great
cheers
Hey Giz wouldnt it be great to mod the wife, wow that would be something lol
Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussies1129
it dosent really matter if they admit the problem I hope that like you said get it all sorted out with the 2011 model. I will and most probably a heap of other guys are keen to see whats in stall for the 2011, they have the worlds tourer title which xray won this year, now the next biggest thing is to get the 1/8 worlds in the bag in 2 yrs wouldnt that be great
cheers
Hey Giz wouldnt it be great to mod the wife, wow that would be something lol
+1 Im lookin to see what they do.. I refuse to go back to losi.. so its pretty much in this order..
Xray
gs clx
agama
I loved my original 808.. lets see the refined buggy!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

To Extra & Madar Im glad the pair of you took the bull by the horns & did this mod as it has made the designers look so hats off to you guys. Since the release of the 808 some had issues some not, although at the time a unique design of pinion have persivered to get reliability for all. The 3 bearing design & grease tip does this & im more than happy with how it runs but THE MOD does that in one foul swoop with no worries & less friction.

Xray does listen & a similar mod is now doing the rounds as many would of seen, it has also opened up other options which is proving a great bonus. How long it takes to come out dont know as the crystal ball is hazy.

All designers will nick ideas or parts of it so dont believe you will get any thanks but you can have it from me , you will also know who done it first & take the pleasure from that.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

I'm happy with things as they are but if xray do change for 2011 couple of things I'd like to see..

1. A sleeve to fit 8x16 bearings in the current bulkhead.I believe it was marder or someone who was making and selling them on ebay at one point.Doesn't seem fair to those of us who have the current bulkheads and plenty of spares to have to buy new ones again.An adapter sleeve would allow a simple choice and keep the expense down for people who want to convert.

2. Some continuation on the captured pin invention with at the least a locking collar and a pin that goes right through the 10T pinion.I do not want to go back to grub screws that come loose mid race and although big heatshrink over the cvd helps a proper twist'n'lock collar would be even better.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

sounds like you should mod your wife and not the drivetrain ..or mod both for a smoother running life.. hehe kidding..
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

we are testing a sleeve design with & a modded 808 case, making new moulds is exspensive so I would believe your spares will be fine & easilly altered.

To the twist lock pin cover I will put it to them.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Nice one Bren...sounds like things might be going along the right lines then.just seems like the grub screw would be a step backwards to me..don't see why we can't have both ideas..captured pin and traditional bearings in one package.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I would if I could lol jk, shes good to me, once you have kids its cheaper to keep her in Texas though. If I had to pay child support, this hobby would be no more lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bren,

Glad to hear that! We can rest assured the designers will come up with a bullet proof design that has great performance as well!

I request all team drivers such as your self to sit next to the designers while they whipping up new designs on their computers and make sure they do it as ordered by the real Bosses (i.e. all of us 808 owners)...

I hate (I think I speak for majority here) to see a car that handles like a dream million dollar ride crippled by a design that chew up dollars bearings and gears... Although I have yet to experience it myself but I can do share the frustrations by those whom experienced it...

There are plenty of suggestions (from actual 808 owners, racers and team drivers) here in RCTECH and the XRAY forum to make the 808 even better. The current crop of new buggies (Durango, Serpent 811, The CAR, etc) plus those buggies that received constant updates (MP9 and D8) is a force to be reckoned with, XRAY must push it to the limit to stay relevant.

My crystal ball is damn clear... My new ride will be the revamped 2011 808 and I am sure many here also looking forward to the new 808 and that's loyalty that money can't buy...

We 808 owners are at the verge of being called XRAY fanboys, I sure hope the next reincarnation of the 808 will be THE ride out there and not a ride with Achilles heel that only a fanboy will love...

Regards,

Originally Posted by Bren Ralls
To Extra & Madar Im glad the pair of you took the bull by the horns & did this mod as it has made the designers look so hats off to you guys. Since the release of the 808 some had issues some not, although at the time a unique design of pinion have persivered to get reliability for all. The 3 bearing design & grease tip does this & im more than happy with how it runs but THE MOD does that in one foul swoop with no worries & less friction.

Xray does listen & a similar mod is now doing the rounds as many would of seen, it has also opened up other options which is proving a great bonus. How long it takes to come out dont know as the crystal ball is hazy.

All designers will nick ideas or parts of it so dont believe you will get any thanks but you can have it from me , you will also know who done it first & take the pleasure from that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.