New XRAY 808

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaap
Hello people,

here is a video of me practicing. I know I still a very amatuer driver but please comment on how to improve my driving technique and also recommend a good setup sheet as well as setup tips for this particular track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpKXZi2I-w8

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wobly and bad video quality
Get on the throttle faster as soon as you are about to exit the turn.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hello people,

here is a video of me practicing. I know I still a very amatuer driver but please comment on how to improve my driving technique and also recommend a good setup sheet as well as setup tips for this particular track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpKXZi2I-w8

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wobly and bad video quality
I use to do a bit of throttle blipping at first only cause I wasnt confident in the buggy with setup etc but now after getting the car setup the way I want it I run throttle corner to corner, no complete off throttle unless some gumby decides to get in my way just keep it smooth dont try and over drive the buggy, I have my pit guy give me advaice on where he thinks I can improve in speed in certain areas. and I practise on that as much as I can. practise and more practise really does help.
goodluck
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aussies1129
I use to do a bit of throttle blipping at first only cause I wasnt confident in the buggy with setup etc but now after getting the car setup the way I want it I run throttle corner to corner, no complete off throttle unless some gumby decides to get in my way just keep it smooth dont try and over drive the buggy, I have my pit guy give me advaice on where he thinks I can improve in speed in certain areas. and I practise on that as much as I can. practise and more practise really does help.
goodluck
To be honest I tried today not to blipp on the throttle but made very little to no progress at all on that matter. What I did was go freewheel in and out of the corners which seemed very slow to me so by instinct whent back to blipping again. If there is a video on youtube that I can hear how the pros do it that would be great! I tried to listen but too many engines in all the videos of Drake.

1. Anyone has such a video to recommend?

2. Also do you guys use the breaks alot? Do you use the brakes to slide through the corner or just step on the breaks last minute and then cruise through the corner?

3. When I go full speed on the straight and I break last second, my car's rear end slides and its a bit difficult to handle...any advice?

4. On the specific track of my video you can see that it is very tight. Today I tried to change the Acherman position from 1 to 2 but obviously it didnt do any good. Also I shortened the wheelbase by moving both shims of the rear pins of the hubs to the back. That didn't seem to do any difference. Any comments on these two changes and anything else you recommend on setup? The car's setup/driving (and I know I am a bad driver) just doesnt feel good!

Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Jaap, here is a clip of the new Serpent Truggy on test. This is a good clip to hear the engine and throttle control, as it is just one car running and the audio is really clear.
Driver is Billy Easton, who is one of the top drivers around, so not a bad example of how it should be done
The track is quite tight in places, with some open stuff too, so should give you a good idea of what is required as far as throttle and brake application for good fast cornering etc.
Hey - I know itīs not an X-Ray boys, so my aplologies there , but I think it will help Jaap to see whatīs required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxv08VlQ7oo
Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here is one, also a 808 2010. You can clearly hear he stays a bit on throttle in the corners.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Nice videos. I understand now. So I gues when applying the brakes the car should slow down and not slide so that everything goes smoothly...
Old 10-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Nice videos. I understand now. So I gues when applying the brakes the car should slow down and not slide so that everything goes smoothly...
Yep, your buggy should brake smoothly without the rear end getting loose.
This can be fixed with a combination of brake bias, rear shock / suspension set up and rear ride height usually.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grizz1
Yep, your buggy should brake smoothly without the rear end getting loose.
This can be fixed with a combination of brake bias, rear shock / suspension set up and rear ride height usually.
hey shane talk to me on everything you know about brake bias ( or anyone else for that matter) I really have not gone into setting that side of the buggy up and am keen to set that up as well as I can, I think at present I am running 50/50 or factory, are you guys setting up brakes so they can lock
cheers
Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

hey shane talk to me on everything you know about brake bias ( or anyone else for that matter) I really have not gone into setting that side of the buggy up and am keen to set that up as well as I can, I think at present I am running 50/50 or factory, are you guys setting up brakes so they can lock
cheers
This wonīt take long Michael I think everyone has their own set up dependant on driving style. I just set mine as I was shown when I first got into racing, and it seems to work for me so I have always just set my brakes up like this -
Roll your car on a firm surface like concrete or wood, where the tyres are free to rotate easily (ie not on grass or on carpet etc).
Set the front brake so when you lift the rear of the car and roll it on the front wheels only, the front wheels still rotate slightly when say 50% brake is applied. Then roll the car by the back wheels only with the same brake pressure applied. The rear wheels should lock and slide across the surface, not rotate.
This gives me good braking, without the rear of the car lifting and becoming unstable. The front wheels still rotating even under quite heavy braking also keeps directional stability on tight corners.

I recently fitted a Dynamite adjustable brake / throttle rod set and find it very good. You can adjust brakes and the throttle deadband setting on the fly via the 3 colour coded thumb screws. Just have to make a small cut out in the body for the top brake adjusting nut to clear when the body is on. Worth the trouble I think, as the adjustment is much easier and more precise than the original X-Ray set up IMO.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

sounds good so adjustment from the screws on the pads and then thru your TX to easy thanks heaps for that the 808 is running really well at the moment we have a race day tomorrow if the weather stays fine that is.
cheers
Old 10-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

would anyone have the part number to the shims/shim that go on you universal that takes up any play from where your cvd fits thru your two wheel bearings in the wheel hub? its a big shim but I cant seem to find it on amain?
cheers
Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

would anyone have the part number to the shims/shim that go on you universal that takes up any play from where your cvd fits thru your two wheel bearings in the wheel hub? its a big shim but I cant seem to find it on amain?
cheers
Have you changed the pin the make sure it is not the pin? I use a shim in the rear, but the front does not use a shim on mine. I still had play in the front even with shim, realized it was the pin that holds the driveshaft.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ntial-Shim-Set
Old 10-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcion
Have you changed the pin the make sure it is not the pin? I use a shim in the rear, but the front does not use a shim on mine. I still had play in the front even with shim, realized it was the pin that holds the driveshaft.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ntial-Shim-Set
pin is all good I replaced that and then found two shims put them the front its now snug
will the kyosho shims fit properly?
cheers
Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

pin is all good I replaced that and then found two shims put them the front its now snug
will the kyosho shims fit properly?
cheers
Yeh sure...The kyosho shims are to fit 8x16 bearings so 8mm internal diameter.Haven't actually looked but they should be small enough to fit 8x14 as well.I always fitted my kyosho ones on the inside between the cvd and the inner bearing so I wasn't shimming the dogbone further out of the diff outdrives but you can fit them behind the hex drives just as easily.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mm-shim-kit-10

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.