New XRAY 808

Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Nice isn't it...I was going to splurge some cash on a 41T overdrive for the active but I don't think it needs it at all..might get a set of the 120 segments to try out instead.I'm not discerning any delay of operation with the 90 but I'd like to try the difference anyway..
Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yep we run the 120deg and its on when on and off when off the 90deg sort of fades in and out.....you will love the 120deg.....
Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I tried the active diff a while back , but my biggest issue with it was that sometimes it just would not unlock until I hit the brakes so if I wanted to coast into a corner and turn in the buggy would just keep pushing through the corner until I tapped the brakes and then it turned in very aggressively. I liked it when it worked but it was just not consistent enough IMO.

I never tried the 120 segments. Do you think that would help?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

I guess as you're running electric the coasting into a corner and keeping it smooth is a better way to drive.with my more point and squirt style I've not had the same problem.also possible you had a bit of crap in your active diff or a deformed gear locking it somewhere.Can't comment on the 120 till I try them.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

as soon as i make the money i will try the active diff..

guys what cater blocks are you using?
i use the standard ones but i notice a lot of the setups use the 12 degrees..

btw what upgrades are worth having?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Hey guys, apologies for kind of a late question for this model, but I'm picking up an XB8 roller from a friend of mine and he has lots of XB808 stuff too as well as I'm going to be converting it to electric for indoor racing.

Is most XB808 stuff compatible with the XB8?

I know it's kind of a tough question, but I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

You can fit the shock towers and big bore shocks on the old XB8. I did. Its not a direct replacment but it works and looks nice too.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
I tried the active diff a while back , but my biggest issue with it was that sometimes it just would not unlock until I hit the brakes so if I wanted to coast into a corner and turn in the buggy would just keep pushing through the corner until I tapped the brakes and then it turned in very aggressively. I liked it when it worked but it was just not consistent enough IMO.

I never tried the 120 segments. Do you think that would help?
I think you would like it better like i said with the 120deg its either on or off we had the same out look as you with the 90deg...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Running the Active diff with the 41 gear in the front really loosens the buggy up going in. Going to a heavier, unorthadox oil in the front would further stabalize it and pull harder coming out. I tried similar things in touring, and other offroad cars.

Makes sense... Thats all I'm saying
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
Nice isn't it...I was going to splurge some cash on a 41T overdrive for the active but I don't think it needs it at all..might get a set of the 120 segments to try out instead.I'm not discerning any delay of operation with the 90 but I'd like to try the difference anyway..
I ran 41t active for a while, with 1000 wt... 4 and 2 center, rear... and I didnt like it... too much understeer, car definately pushed coming out of slightly medium width corners on power... but would turn on a dime off power tight corner...went back to reg diff 43t running 5-5-2 and I prefer this much better... however, just ordered lightened active outdrives, and a 43T active ring gear to try... This will lessen the understeer, and should still give me the pull Im looking for out of the corners,,, running 90deg segments, would like feedback on the 120deg... might have to get some...Also looking to firm up the rear end as it seems to be a lil squirly lately... thinkin the added pull from front end should fix it...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by didrace
as soon as i make the money i will try the active diff..

guys what cater blocks are you using?
i use the standard ones but i notice a lot of the setups use the 12 degrees..

btw what upgrades are worth having?
I run 14deg caster blocks.... luv em... will never run anything else..
Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

I'm running 12 caster blocks and find they steady the car just enough for me..If a set of 14 pop up cheap I'll give them a try too..

re the active diff....I don't think the 41T is necessary with the active diff..mine certainly gives me all the off power steering I could ever need and pulls out of corners fine.no push or understeer at all.I think I'd like the 120 segments though so I'll keep an eye out for some of those at a decent price.I paid less than 60 bucks for my entire AD new so I'll be watching for a sale somewhere
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
I'm running 12 caster blocks and find they steady the car just enough for me..If a set of 14 pop up cheap I'll give them a try too..

re the active diff....I don't think the 41T is necessary with the active diff..mine certainly gives me all the off power steering I could ever need and pulls out of corners fine.no push or understeer at all.I think I'd like the 120 segments though so I'll keep an eye out for some of those at a decent price.I paid less than 60 bucks for my entire AD new so I'll be watching for a sale somewhere
Hey Gizz, here's a question for ya -

What do you think about adding 2 deg of front kick up in order to get the 12 deg of caster ?
I have just fitted the adjustable front and rear hinge pin holders to my 808. I will be playing with the rear anti squat on a rougher track soon, but just wondered if the extra kick up would compliment or hinder the 12 deg of caster I would get by changing the front kick up to 12 deg.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

I'm split here cause although technically adding 2 more kickup makes it 12 caster it does it by increasing the anti-dive (or squat) as well ,which has other knock on effects on the suspension movement and reaction including reducing the bump handling capabilities.As most of the tracks i run on are chewed up and bumpy I decided to go with the 12 caster blocks.Added to which I got a set of them in alloy as part of an awesome ebay purchase.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Cheers mate. In theory it should work OK, as more front kick up is better suited to bumpy tracks (as is the extra caster). Only one way to find out, and thats give it a run in practice and see what happens.

Man, that deal you got was hot !! Active diff and all. I would still like to try the active diff with the 120 deg segments and see how it goes on my local tracks. I have gone back to the std 43T front diff with 5,5,2 after a year of running the 41T (same diff oils), and actually find it very good now. Maybe my driving style has changed over that time. I do find the buggy jumps more level with the std 43T front diff, if that makes any sense ??.
I have made a few subtle set up changes over that time too, including different shock pistons, bladders and oils, so it's hard to say what has made the difference I guess. Buggy is flying, so I don't really care
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

same here mate..buggy is pretty much dialed now and flying..really happy with my setup and as I just finished our new track layout and rebuild today I'm gonna go test it all tomorrow..I think I'm just gonna remove and reshape the losi foams in my shocks a little tonight so they sit a fraction lower in the bladders but apart from that I'm happy.might give the 10x1.1 pistons a go in the rear as well try and get a little more pack as I've made all our jumps higher this summer and with longer run ups as well,but the technical sections are a real bugger now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.