New XRAY 808

Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
couldn't agree more..this is what these threads are for..sharing ideas and mods that while not "necessary" help to increase the durability of these buggies and/or ease maintenance..no one has said this has to be done but seeing other peoples solutions is always interesting.It is to me anyway.Photos of my dust cover added too..I just bought a pack of felt circles,punched a hole,and glued em on..I think the pack was 70 cents for 24..As I rarely remove the dogbone but pull it out rearwards through the diff housing and dismantle the pinion pivots for inspection each time I rebuild I can replace or service all 3 bearings without pulling the bone end of the cvd through the felt.Additionally I can just fit the end of the thin tube that comes with my kalgard chain lube that I use for lubing the cvd pins through the hole in the felt anyway so I can give em a squirt between stripdowns.I just add a spot of thick grease where the shaft goes through to form a seal.

Be nice if xray could come out with a diff housing with a small lip around the hole that would take either a specific made boot or just fit a carb slide boot or something..hmmm I got a bunch of those kicking around so maybe I can make up a lip and glue it on.Got a spare set of bulkheads too ..new mod on it's way..I can feel the idea growing.hehe
That fix is what I was talking about. Did you get the felt with the sticky on it? That way you can peel off and toss when they get to dirty. I like brens idea and your new idea also. But cheap and fast works for me,less to go wrong.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

couldn't agree more..this is what these threads are for..sharing ideas and mods that while not "necessary" help to increase the durability of these buggies and/or ease maintenance..no one has said this has to be done but seeing other peoples solutions is always interesting.It is to me anyway.Photos of my dust cover added too..I just bought a pack of felt circles,punched a hole,and glued em on..I think the pack was 70 cents for 24..As I rarely remove the dogbone but pull it out rearwards through the diff housing and dismantle the pinion pivots for inspection each time I rebuild I can replace or service all 3 bearings without pulling the bone end of the cvd through the felt.Additionally I can just fit the end of the thin tube that comes with my kalgard chain lube that I use for lubing the cvd pins through the hole in the felt anyway so I can give em a squirt between stripdowns.I just add a spot of thick grease where the shaft goes through to form a seal.

Be nice if xray could come out with a diff housing with a small lip around the hole that would take either a specific made boot or just fit a carb slide boot or something..hmmm I got a bunch of those kicking around so maybe I can make up a lip and glue it on.Got a spare set of bulkheads too ..new mod on it's way..I can feel the idea growing.hehe

Giz,

What chassis brace is that? I am running the XRAY AL brace at the back...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
Giz,

looks like Fioroni
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigmatt
That fix is what I was talking about. Did you get the felt with the sticky on it? That way you can peel off and toss when they get to dirty. I like brens idea and your new idea also. But cheap and fast works for me,less to go wrong.
yeh only trouble was the original sticky was no where strong enough to stay on the bulkhead so I had to use some cyano...I've offered up the composite bearing wotsit to the bulkhead and if I dremel the hole a bit so it's the same diameter as the hole in the bulkhead it will be a perfect fit and the dogbone will come out just as standard.The k-factory dust covers are also a concertina shape so they will follow the slight offset of the cvd shafts as well..As I never use the composite reducers on the diffs but fit 8x16 bearings all the time I have loads of them brand new .If the mod is as good as I think it will be I can dremel up a few and will just need to glue them to all my spare bulkheads in advance.

Originally Posted by ganymede
Giz,

yeh fioroni flex brace..got it half price on ebay as I tried the xray one at the back and found it a little too stiff for me..made the rear of the car a bit twitchy..The fioroni one is about half way between the composite and the solid alloy one..looks trick too not that I would EVER succumb to bling of course
Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=

Just a heads up...I know ceramic bearings are a 'hot deal' right now, but I will take it to my grave that a hybrid ceramic bearing (steel races with ceramic balls) will not last as long as a quality all steel bearing like the XRAY and Avid bearings. I would only use a full, high quality all ceramic (races and balls) ceramic bearing over a steel bearing.[/QUOTE]

I have used Acer-Racing ceramics off and on for years and found them great.Free worldwide shipping on any order even if it's a single bearing rocks and if you buy a kit for your car rather than individual bearings they are half price too which isn't much more expensive than xray wants for it's bearings anyway.

I don't even want to contemplate the price of full ceramics on a buggy..what are they like 45 bucks a bearing?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

OK here's a couple of in progress pics and the finished mod...looks a little scrappy cause of the glue from the felt that I had to scrape off but I think the finished cover is about perfect.If you turn over the composite bearing cover there is a line molded into it..This is the perfect line to dremel to so it is just a fraction larger than the opening in the bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails New XRAY 808-img_3741.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_3740.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_3742.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_3743.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_3745.jpg  

Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

OK here's a couple of in progress pics and the finished mod...looks a little scrappy cause of the glue from the felt that I had to scrape off but I think the finished cover is about perfect.If you turn over the composite bearing cover there is a line molded into it..This is the perfect line to dremel to so it is just a fraction larger than the opening in the bulkhead.
Who's been a busy boy then
Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

hehe. That is great but if a bearing does go and eats the housing, like they do, you will have to do it all over

The shock bladder is the simplest IMHO.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (99%+)

got the losi shock foam to put above the bladders so will be trying the vented cap mod tomorrow and will test it out friday night. will post back how it goes
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by grizz1
Who's been a busy boy then
I thought it came out nicely..looks very "factory"fitment..

Originally Posted by scwrod
hehe. That is great but if a bearing does go and eats the housing, like they do, you will have to do it all over

The shock bladder is the simplest IMHO.
Why is that..I have dozens of pairs of the composite bearing cover and it took about 15 seconds to dremel each one.I have done a dozen of them to the correct size and soon as I get a moment I can glue one to each of my spare bulkheads.The blue cover isn't glued on as it's a nice tight fit so it can be just pulled on/off again to lube the cvd pivots.so all I do if i need to replace a bulkhead is fit the new one with it's mod already fitted and slide the cover into place..no cable tie or gluing a new shock bladder each time.And it's easily removable for pivot access plus the cvd bone pulls out to the rear just as it did standard..I don't see how it could be simpler.

And I believe that is my 500th post..YAY!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
got the losi shock foam to put above the bladders so will be trying the vented cap mod tomorrow and will test it out friday night. will post back how it goes

ordered 2 packs of the losi foams myself..In the post so should only be a day or three..
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How big should the vent hole be for shock mod?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vince7870
How big should the vent hole be for shock mod?
try this:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7730134-post8.html
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

just got the new 10 spec, what is the first mod that i should consider doing?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

Originally Posted by brandon_101
just got the new 10 spec, what is the first mod that i should consider doing?
I would put the 2.2 front swaybar on it...Grey blue springs all round, that's it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.