New XRAY 808

Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

would anyone know if the D8 flywheel would work on the 808 clutch bell?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by punkracer24
you guys are over blowing it...I have been running the 808 since I recieved one of the first prototypes and have only had 1 bearing failure in the rear... you have to use a decent bearing and just check it every once in a while. I use avid bearings and you still have to check them. becuae there are occasions where they are waded up new.

Also in my opinion the instructions xray gives are flawed. the three screws that hold the bearings in, try tightening them down snug and NOT backing them off at all. seems to work for me
We were basically talking about the new 10 buggy regarding the bearing problems, not the earlier models.
I think guys have the right to be pissed when the arse falls out of their brand new buggy, which has been touted as the new and improved model. I know I wouldn't be too impressed if it had happened to me.

I agree about the 3 retaining screws. In the early models, before the spacer ring was introduced, the manual said to nip the screws up and then back them off 1/4 turn (from memory). When the spacers were introduced (late 08 and then 09 models), the deal was that you now nipped the screws up reasonably tight and left them like that to clamp the bearings and spacer ring together to stop any spinning of the bearings in the bulkhead - however to my knowledge the manual still says to slacken off that 1/4 turn thus defeating the purpose of the spacer ring.
As I mentioned previously, I have never had any trouble with the pinion bearings in my buggy in over a year. I run the spacer with the screws nipped up snug.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only problem I've had with the bulkhead bearings is that even though they have the metal shield itstill comes out and gets chewed up in the gears. I've been lucky though that it hasn't damaged the gears.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ganymede
bren mentioned in xray forum that the larger bearings in the 2010 spec can fail in dusty conditions, that's why they will introduce the 3 bearings for the diff pinion...
Yeah I have a feeling it has to do with them going to a steel shielded bearing rather than a rubber shield on 1 side.

mines being rebuilt using avids this time so I guess time will tell

just annoyed that it went in less than a gallon .....ohwell thats racing I guess
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm running in dust bowl conditions here too and first thing I did once avid had them in stock is move the xray 2xmetal shielded bearings to the inner side only and fit avid revolution with the rubber seal facing front at the front..seemed logical to me not to have a metal shielded bearing facing out in really dusty conditions..I also always pop out the rubber seal and put in a proper amount of grease ..found some rated for 65000 rpm in my local engineering store for about €7 or 9 bucks US for a 250ml tube...should last me the rest of my life I think.Done 2 races so far this year with zero maintenance on the bearings so far and everything spins slick as new..

I'l probably fit the 3 bearing pinion anyway just to strengthen things up.

Last edited by Gizmatron; 05-03-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Guys can someone explain how to bulletproof the differentials?

I just bought a new 808 and i had very good help from jaz but still i think i missed some things..

This is what i understant..

iN the 2008 edition the bearing shield was coming out and the cases didnt have a ring..or they were different ? am not sure

then xray invented the ring between the cases and they asked the people to take out the shield from the bearing?

Can someone put the steps down on how to make the diffs reliable?

Which bearings are the best to use and from what manufacturer?
How to build it?
How mucht to screw the little 3 screws that hold the bearings?
Which diff cases are the best?
etc..

I dont know exactly...I have the 2008 version i think with the first diffs..
Old 04-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

in short, you have the 2008 bulkheads
and the 2009 / 2010 ones, which have some kind of dustprotection cap incorporated
the last ones are the best, ofcourse...and feature also bigger bearings, 13x 20, which are more reliable

I think, you should always take off the shield of the bearings facing the screws
2008 bulkhead without ring , leave the 3 screws a very little bit out
.. with a spacer, screw the 3 screws till snug against the bearing, not more
if you find the screws don't hold enough, drill them out to some
8-10 mm deep with some longer screws

some people stuff the space between the bearings with black grease
some mount new bearings every 1 to 1.5 gallon 2008/2009
or every 1.5-2 gallon w. the 2010 bulkhead version

Last edited by speedy2; 04-29-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i have found that the steel shielded bearings work fine ifyou grease the bulk head before you stuff the pinion assembly through the bulk head and if like me you change diff. oil every 1 to 2 race days then the grease seems to catch all of the dust before it gets to the bearings. anly thing is excess grease spins out of dust cover off drive shafts and gets on the body and radio tray a little but i fugure that is better than buying bearings all the time
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

and you better not mount the little screw holding the
central rear drivesshaft onto the first bulkhead bearing..
Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

no this isnt the right place but selling my cnoverted 10spec if anybody interested got laid off and need to sell the heard
Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

folks! looks like the 3 bearings kit is out...
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
folks! looks like the 3 bearings kit is out...
where.?? anybody have a link..

third race of the season yesterday and I was running in 2nd place in the semi A when I lost front wheel drive..after half a lap of no acceleration it seemed to get better but not much so at least I finished the race but in 6th. Inspection revealed front centre bulkhead outer bearing disintegrated completely allowing the 10T pinion to move far enough out the bulkhead to disengage the teeth from the diff pinion and melt away the labyrinth dust seals.. replaced all that and found that the reason it seemed to get better on the track was the centre diff had locked giving me at least proper rear wheel drive ..opened it up to find the satellite pinions melted solidly into the body of the diff..not a mark of wear on the teeth but melted completely..had to utterly destroy the plastic diff body to get them out again.

So 3 bearing pinions please...I should probably add that I have been racing in dust bowls for the last 2 races and I hadn't replaced the front outer bearing with a rubber sealed avid instead of the metal sealed xray bearings.I did this at the rear and have had no problems there so I'm guessing dust in the bearing..
Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Any set-up changes needed on the 2010 808 when changing from the 2009 car?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
where.?? anybody have a link..

third race of the season yesterday and I was running in 2nd place in the semi A when I lost front wheel drive..after half a lap of no acceleration it seemed to get better but not much so at least I finished the race but in 6th. Inspection revealed front centre bulkhead outer bearing disintegrated completely allowing the 10T pinion to move far enough out the bulkhead to disengage the teeth from the diff pinion and melt away the labyrinth dust seals.. replaced all that and found that the reason it seemed to get better on the track was the centre diff had locked giving me at least proper rear wheel drive ..opened it up to find the satellite pinions melted solidly into the body of the diff..not a mark of wear on the teeth but melted completely..had to utterly destroy the plastic diff body to get them out again.

So 3 bearing pinions please...I should probably add that I have been racing in dust bowls for the last 2 races and I hadn't replaced the front outer bearing with a rubber sealed avid instead of the metal sealed xray bearings.I did this at the rear and have had no problems there so I'm guessing dust in the bearing..
that sure sucks! can you take some pictures of the damages?

here the announcement:

http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....9984&start=340

#355113 XB808 PINION GEAR FOR 3 BEARINGS - 10T (2x) and #352077 XB808 ALU BEARING COLLAR FOR 3 BEARINGS (2) (1x) + #931320 BALL-BEARING 13x20x4 (2)

from the announcement, looks like the fix includes two new pinion gears, two new Alu collars and two additional 13x20x4 bearing...

looks like a fix for the 2010 spec... as for those with 08 and 09 spec and facing the same problem, my guess is that one have to upgrade the bulkheads to 2010 spec to take the larger 13x20x4 bearings and the fix mentioned above...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default do this

Put one fairly thin but not the really thin one, basically the thicker silver shim for the diff outdrives the ones that slide over the outdrive, and put it on first over the shaft and onto the pinion then the bearing, then put the spacer and metal shielded side of the revolution on the other side facing the 3 screws, snug it up and never have a diff fail, it takes up a bit of slop on the pinion and keeps it from slamming into the bearings on landings....Believe me or not, in 3 years of racing the 808, never had a diff fail....only broke a front bulkhead where it fastens to the upper plate, that's it....I do maintain my buggy often and replace bearings at a gallon of fuel....you can't be lazy with this car, it likes to be clean.

I also put one really thin shim on the diff case side under the diff bearing to keep a bit of space between the gears. It keeps everything lined up and perfect. Trust me....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.