New XRAY 808

Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
Matt,

No worries! I know you'll be there to help soon enough. I hope all is well with the little one.

Yeah, on my front pin on my current car I was very particular about checking it. I have a lube I've been using that virtually eliminates wear on my CVD ends which is really important on my current car. If the CVD's wear on it the car doesn't drive well any more. I think I'm definitely stepping it up as far as quality. I will keep my current maintenance routine on the Xray.

Ben
so, you've been holding out on me with the special lube? Have you ordered anything yet? I back ordered my new buggy, should be here in 2-3 weeks.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
so, you've been holding out on me with the special lube? Have you ordered anything yet? I back ordered my new buggy, should be here in 2-3 weeks.
I may wait for a couple weeks. I am getting two buggies. One nitro and one electric. I recently decided to run another vspec.. it's an amazing mill but I almost went with an alpha. I got had a couple engines I could have ran with sponsors but that O.S. is no joke.

I'll show you my lube at the track.. LOL..
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

well I'm going to add the 2010 stuff bit by bit rather than buy a 2009 complete kit..My velvet coated mp9 shocks with the tapered pistons fit direct to the 808 so I don't need to buy the shock boots and nuts etc for the shocks.and I have the 2009 spec ball ends etc already fitted so getting the whole kit just to get a new fuel tank and body is expensive especially if I throw away the bulkheads and bearings to fit 2010 ones.

Oh well might as well go play as it's snowing again so work is officially terminated today.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
well I'm going to add the 2010 stuff bit by bit rather than buy a 2009 complete kit..My velvet coated mp9 shocks with the tapered pistons fit direct to the 808 so I don't need to buy the shock boots and nuts etc for the shocks.and I have the 2009 spec ball ends etc already fitted so getting the whole kit just to get a new fuel tank and body is expensive especially if I throw away the bulkheads and bearings to fit 2010 ones.

Oh well might as well go play as it's snowing again so work is officially terminated today.
I thought the kyosho shocks would be to long,im going to have to look into them for my 808 now!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bcr500
I thought the kyosho shocks would be to long,im going to have to look into them for my 808 now!
they are just a fraction long but as I run minimum 5mm preload spacer anyway I'm just leaving that out.Requires the xray lower plastic foot bits and ball joints and I'm just in the process of making a plastic bush to fit inside the kyosho cap hole with an inner diameter of 4.5mm to slip over the xray metal inner sleeve..I've always thought the bush kyosho use is crap anyway..because it's split to clip through without a washer either side I've destroyed several pairs this season.the xray system with a metal inner sleeve then a shouldered plastic bush with a washer on the outside is waaaaay better.

now all I need is a 4.5mm drill bit..hmmmmmm

edit..In the process of swopping the shocks over I found out why I've been destroying the rear bushes in the shock cap - the entire cap hole has ovalized..and not just a bit either.with a properly round bush in there I got 2-3mm each side.6mm total oval..ouch..musta been hitting those jumps hard last year.

Last edited by Gizmatron; 01-06-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Ben, do you have a setup posted on the XRAY site for your electric 808? Would you mind posting the link if you do? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

shocks fitted with minimal fabrication...very plush as expected..now I need to find where the fuel tank is blowing air and I might even start and run it..preheat and foil the head though as it's minus 9 here..

xray snowmobile
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
shocks fitted with minimal fabrication...very plush as expected..now I need to find where the fuel tank is blowing air and I might even start and run it..preheat and foil the head though as it's minus 9 here..

xray snowmobile
I would love to see some pics of the shocks!! How do they feel compared to the xray shocks?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

OK had several requests for pics and info on this shock transplant so here goes..First off these are kyosho mp9 shocks from a TKI kit with the velvet coating and the long rear shock body.(anyone looking on ebay now for these going cheap will find everyone is breaking the SE kit now as the TKI isn't available and they lack the velvet coating and have only the medium body at the rear- you have been warned))OK I also have k-factory ultra hardened shafts fitted..these were originally made for the mp777 sp2 and are unbreakable (believe me I've tried) I bent kyosho shafts regularly till I got these ..best 5 buck upgrade ever and the mp9 shocks are the same diameter etc so they swopped straight in.I reckon the front shocks are about 5mm longer than the xray ones and the rear at least 7-8mm..this gives a lot more droop available but I can still bottom the chassis on the ground so upwards movement is still fine.xray springs won't fit so you will need kyosho ones but I had to use the xray lower plastic end with it's shouldered ball pivot..the mp9 ones are maybe 2mm slimmer and I didn't want to be fiddling slipping washers in between the shock and the wishbones.Only fabrication I had to do was make up a new bush for the upper shock mount (in the cap) out of some spare bits of plastic.(If anyone has ever ran an mp7.5 or older kyosho they used stepped plastic sleeves on the top shock mount instead of the newer steel ones..by coincidence the thicker part of this is the same diamter as the shock mount hole and the perfect length..just had to drill it out from 3mm to 4.5mm , cut off the thinner bit and slip it over the xray steel inner bushing..2 minute job..

OK pics..couple of the buggy (yes thats an mp9 fuel tank - the 808 one had an air leak and this was handy..just had to flex the composite mounting posts a bit as it is 5mm shorter.and I like the built in ring pull) I posted 2 pics of the rear. first is with the droop at max from before (with the xray shocks)and the second is with the kyosho shocks with the droop screw backed all the way out..

last thing I like about these shocks is the taper drilled pistons now available..means faster rebound damping and faster packup on the compression stroke plus thinner oils which are more efficient and heat up less.
Attached Thumbnails New XRAY 808-img_2833.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_2834.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_2828.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_2830.jpg   New XRAY 808-img_2831.jpg  

Old 01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

one last pic , closeup of the new bushing assembly.. Just want to rip the centre diff apart now and see if I can fit the kyosho outdrives so I can use my massive stock of cnc brakes etc.
Attached Thumbnails New XRAY 808-img_2829.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like they fit like jammin 16mm big bores.I had a set on my 808 but sold them before I had a chance to try it.It did feel alot smoother with the jammins on it just working them by hand.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rich Panganiban
Ben, do you have a setup posted on the XRAY site for your electric 808? Would you mind posting the link if you do? Thanks.
It will be a while before I post a setup. I have some interesting things with setup I did with my last chassis that could overlay onto the Xray. But, I would imagine I'll have one some time in the spring.

Ben Burtle
Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Giz whats the reason for running your steering (ackermann) plate back to front

check out page 23 on your manual and you'll see what I mean

New XRAY 808-img_2834.jpg
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
I may wait for a couple weeks. I am getting two buggies. One nitro and one electric. I recently decided to run another vspec.. it's an amazing mill but I almost went with an alpha. I got had a couple engines I could have ran with sponsors but that O.S. is no joke.

I'll show you my lube at the track.. LOL..
I agree, both of my v-specs keep delivering the goods. but I think I'm gonna try the Ninja jx motor for my truggy, and keep using the speed in the buggy. Still keeping with the O.S trend though. I actually had a sponsorship with Go Tech, but I had trouble giving up on the O.S. motors.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

I did a cost analysis between several engines and the vspec always came out on top due to the run time. With my buggy I consistently ran 10.5 minutes with a 2060 pipe. It should go up this year with a 2050. Plus I have a venturi insert from innovative designs that should give me 30 more seconds or so. The cost savings even showed to be better than I thought when I went through 1 glow plug in a season. It's just a great engine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.