New XRAY 808

Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bren Ralls
Ben if you are being sign up welcome aboard. The only area to keep an eye on is the pinion gear bearings & front pinion pin.
The manual tells you everything you need to know just keep an eye on the pin as it wears because of the angle it runs but is good for 5 hours of use easy.
Pinion bearings have now changed for 2010 kits & are bigger in diameter so will last longer. Simple check is remove them from the housing & hold inner race between index finger & thumb. With other hand now hold outer race if this gets side to side play replace it as its on the way out & will cost you a diff gear & pinion.
Other parts are just regular maintenance & easy to check.

Enjoy the ride
Bren
Bren,

Thank you for the quick thorough reply. Myy typical maintenance will cover this. But, it is good to know what I need to look out for. This is a very very minor issue compared to all the other vehicles I've ran. My last chassis had about a 20 point problem inspections list. LOL

thanks again,

Ben Burtle
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yeh feel free to ignore me and my messing around..I'm just switching to xray after running nothing but kyosho's since my first burns in 1985 so I'm looking to use a few of my million spare new kyosho bits rather than spend money (I don't have by the way-- new year and broke again..sigh)on similar xray stuff..

I'm running straight 8x16 bearings for the diffs rather than 8x14's with the composite reducer sleeve (which I think is the way xray have gone on the 2010 anyway)as I have literally hundreds of them.

Stuff like pivot balls (5.8mm and 6.8mm) are pretty much standard stuff from one buggy to another.Screws and bolts etc the same.Loadsa people ran hyper spider diffs in kyosho's ..6 satellites presumably smoother than 4.

And so on..most of these buggy's are remarkably similar in the basic parts and dimensions.I recently read losi smart diffs being used in other brands.this is not because the 808 is crap or non raceworthy out the box..it is a great car..some of us just like to experiment and/or use stuff we have kicking around in the pit box..
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Never had any problems with the main bearings in the car only changed the two outside outer wheel bearings on the rear axle.Just use some molybendum grease in them just push it in put the sheild back on so it pushes out ok may seem to restrict roll but after a run freed up.And been run weekly in the wet etc
Old 01-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think you will find if using the mugen diff shims you dont have to pull down your diffs down which can be a real pain when your shimming is not correct
Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

i havent really had any real issue with the 14mm bearings my self but i think just running 16mm you will have less problems likely to occur in long race , im getting my front and rear hubs machined out so i can fit the 16 mm bearings i would prefer these over the 14mm one
Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
Bren,

Thank you for the quick thorough reply. Myy typical maintenance will cover this. But, it is good to know what I need to look out for. This is a very very minor issue compared to all the other vehicles I've ran. My last chassis had about a 20 point problem inspections list. LOL

thanks again,

Ben Burtle
I would have told you the same thing, but I've been a bit preoccupied with my baby as of late. Maintenance is very easy on the 808, take the metal shield off the bearings facing the pinion in the gear box, and you won't have to worry about anything else. As Bren said the front center drive shaft pin wears faster than any other pin in the vehicle. but I guarantee that it will last twice as long as the same part in your old buggy.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Funny you mentioned the 8X16 in the outer wheel bearings Matt. I have used 8X16 on the diffs from day one(had a lot from old cars)because they died quick in my losi's, scary quick.

I have never had problems with the pinion bearings like some have but those stupid tiny outer wheel bearings.They dont wear out any faster thay any other car that uses undersized wheel bearings but when you drive an 808 you tend to compare everything to the quality of X-RAY. Those little bearings dont measure up to the rest of the car.None of the the guys I race with are fast enough to notice the loss of power from frictional drag but,I do feel the loss from changing the outer wheel bearings twice as often as the inner wheel bearings.

All this to say I looked at having the hubs mod done too like they were doing to the losi so 8X16 bearings could be used but it really looked like it would weaken the hubs too much.I decided to look at it like this,the outer wheel bearing durability is lower than the rest of the car but are lasting just as long as most of the other cars out there because their all moving to tiny bearings. Then there is the reason the outer wheel bearings look bad,the rest of the car is so far superior to other cars,that is if it fits your driving style anyway.

For the talk about the dogbone pins I dont consider that wear bad. I consider it a cheap easy way to keep my out drives from wearing.I have a middle & rear diff with over 20 gallons on them & just now thinking about replacing them soon(2-3 more gallons).That awsome Hudy tool makes pin replacement a quick part of regular maint.

I also must point out to people looking in here & see people trying to do different things with their 808 its not like they do it because they have to to make the car handle or dependable its something most new X-RAY owners strugle with. Its called I dont need to buy spares & hopups & I dont have to do teardowns like with previous cars so, what the hell do I do with my money & time? I know other brand drivers wont understand this, I know I didnt but I guess its something you have to experience,it kind of a creepy feeling to be honest.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

i came from the losi a while back and the 14 mm bearings were always an issue for me in that car , thats where i started having the hubs moded and now i do the same with my xray nothing worse then car starting to step out in the rear end in long racesall because of a 14mm bearing
Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

8x16s in the hubs, now that's a good idea! Those silly little 8x14s wear out way to fast. 8x16s last probably twice as long. Although I ran the same 8x14s in the diffs for well over half a season and they were still perfect.

There was one thing about the old TQ and EC that I loved, they never wore out anything and they were indestructible. The 808 lasts pretty good, but nowhere nearly as well as the old XB8. The handling of the 808 definitely makes up for that though! The old XB8 was horrible by comparison.
Judging from what I hear about other car brands, maintenance must be a real pain with a non-xray car. I hardly ever work on my car and it holds together great. It would really suck actually having to do rebuilds just for club races. Luckily I've been running Xray for the last 5-ish years and have only had the misfortune of owning another brand of buggy for a few months back in early 05.

Mattwoodcraft- How long have you been running the 8x16s on your 808? Have you broke any hubs yet? Plastic or Al hubs?

Has anyone else tried the 8x16s in the hubs?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

The 8x16 beraings are a direct fit in the ali hubs just leave out the plastic spacer on the outside . No machining required & these hubs will never fail.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

i run the plastic hubs i have never broken a hub yet on this car or any of the previous buggies i have owned , i have pretty much straighht away ran the 16 mm in the hubs i only ran the 14mm while i was getting them spun on the lathe

i dont tend to run alloy hop ups at times i think they can make the car rigid and a bit more twitchy i just keep things the way they are with only small mods that i think will be an improvment
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
I would have told you the same thing, but I've been a bit preoccupied with my baby as of late. Maintenance is very easy on the 808, take the metal shield off the bearings facing the pinion in the gear box, and you won't have to worry about anything else. As Bren said the front center drive shaft pin wears faster than any other pin in the vehicle. but I guarantee that it will last twice as long as the same part in your old buggy.
Matt,

No worries! I know you'll be there to help soon enough. I hope all is well with the little one.

Yeah, on my front pin on my current car I was very particular about checking it. I have a lube I've been using that virtually eliminates wear on my CVD ends which is really important on my current car. If the CVD's wear on it the car doesn't drive well any more. I think I'm definitely stepping it up as far as quality. I will keep my current maintenance routine on the Xray.

Ben
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yes the pinion....

Originally Posted by grizz1
It's not the bearings moving - it's the pinnion !! Unlike other models the X-Ray works with a little play in the pinion. I wouldn't shim anything extra.
The diffs work superbly (probably one of the strongest and best meshing diffs in the business) assembled just as the instruction manual says.
I would say jamming shims in there would cause more damage than anything. Just my opinion. If it's not broken, don't try and fix it.
It moves too much and this is why people have bearing failures, I never have and the little bit of play taken up by the shims can make it ride more precise and last. The spacers don't take up the excessive play.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Seems to me when this was happening everyone went over their experiences & decided bearing damage was from chassis flex forcing pinion into bearing.

When hard on the gas or brake it makes friction from the torque on dogbone pin & out drive so the dogbone wont slide towards the center diff thus pinion tries to punch its way through the bearing. When the outdrives wear a notch in them & dogbone pins wear flat from lack of maint the effect becomes worse. When the chassis wears & chassis braces get old it becomes worse still. I assume when flex becomes great enough the dogbone will botton out in center diff out drive & damage gears. Just what we saw back when people started seing bearing problems but if you simply grab the car & applie torque to the drive line & try & move the shaft you can see it happening.

BTW when I tighten down my 3 pinion bearing screws it locks both bearings & spacer solid. I suppose shimming the bearing closest to the gears even closer it would lessen the problem but then would creat a problem of pinion smashing even tighter to the crown gear when chassis flexes.

I have not had pinion bearing problems & I believe its because I keep my car & bearings in good shape but it is also possable its just lick as I did have diff o-ring problems when not many others did.

If it really needs to be discussed more take it to the X-RAY forum theres like 40 pages of thoughts, pictures, mods & everything else you wanted to know about why they used those tiny ass bearings discussed.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default this is an 808 discussion forum...

I've not had any issues with my 808, just trying to help the other guys who were talking about it. Think what you want, it's all in fun...No biggie....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.