New XRAY 808

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wild gopher
Ok, I must go back on what I said regarding the aluminum axles. I have been using them for a few months now and last night, 5 minutes before my main in a practice session, broke on. It snapped in half. I quickly returned to the pits and put the steel ones back on and made my main. To me, the weight savings isnt worth the chance of breakage.

My sentiments precisely!

There are obviously some areas where you can save on weight, shave a little bit of metal here or there, use plastic over aluminium, etc. But there comes a point where the weight savings becomes moot if you can't get the car to the finish line. The 808 is likely (one of if not THE) lightest buggy currently available, so I feel that this battle with the scale some folks insist on waging is unnecessary at best.

Older, heavier cars are still kicking ass or holding their own against the current crop, and some are close to a whole POUND heavier, and it doesn't seem to impede their winning ability one bit. It's the guy at the controls that makes all the difference
Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Getting a like new 808 on Tuesday and was wondering what parts I should order to keep in my box? I have an Xray TC and bought way to many spare parts as there were only a few things that I ever broke with it. I am sure the 808 is going to be the same way. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Clutch Questions

I've also got an 808 on the way, just wondering, is my standard Werks 4 Shoe Clutch going to fit? Or do I need to get the special smaller XRAY one (not sure if this only applies to the XB8)?
I would obviously like to use what I already have.

Also, can you also use standard clutch bells on the 808? Or do you need to use the HUDY 808 Bells with bigger bearings?
Ditto, already have plenty of bells and bearings that I would like to use.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

As for spares to stock up on, I would say get a few extra captured ends for front and rear, maybe a spare shock shaft and a set of arms, thats it. I have only broken 2 of those captured ends, and 1 aluminum axle since ive had it.

I think you can use any aftermarket clutch product as long as you shim it correctly.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

All the pins should be replaced around 3 gallons depending on how you maintain & what kind of dirt you have.

All the bearings especially the outer wheel bearings. Its just easier to pop in a $1 bearing than it is to dissasemble,clean,lube,put back together then reinstall & those outer wheel bearings they spec'ed are just too fragile compared to what used to be the standard bearing size. Since I brought up 8mmX16mm bearings if you use those on the diff outdrives they last a really long time,you dont need to use the plastic adapter,& are easier to shim using the propper shims that you already have if this aint your first car.

Front pin holder & bumper if you like to smash into stuff or hit the face of a jump & use it to slow the car down instead of using the brakes.

Mugen wing hold down washers, if you like to cartwheel you will lose a wing eventually.

Extra clutchbells. If your lazy or forget to maintain clutch bearings & they go out or the screw backs out,because of the design the bell will get too damaged to reuse.

Make sure the screws you use go all the way through the nuts past the nylon lock part or they will come out one at a time.

Second body,depending on how you cut it & pipe you use they dont last a whole season.

I have only bought 2 hopup parts one being a quick change eng mount wich I buy for every car I get reguardless of brand & the rear adjustable hinge pin holder that it turns out I dont really need.

Other than the pins & to a degree the bearings everything that wears out or gets damaged beyond use in under 6-7 gallons will be because you caused it by neglect or the way you drive. I have crashed this car as hard & as often as I can & broke nothing. Its to the point now that if I hit the wall head on at the end of the straight the thought of the car being broken doesnt even enter my mind,all I think about is how old & fat is that marshall hobbling to get my car. I bought $150 in spares when I got my car like I do with every car I buy & other than the bumper,front pin holder,& bearings they all just sit taking up room in my box. Only parts I actually need are those pins I didnt buy.

I use the werks clutch & so does my friend.He bought the one labeled for X-RAY & I use the ones I had from other cars & I dont know wich one it is but they were used on/fit the jammin,losi,mugen,AE so if you had one of those cars it should work. You can also use mugen style clutch bells but since you know how long the werks clutch makes bearings last,yust imagine how long the oversized bearings will last, 6-7 gallons if maintained?

Last edited by butch man; 12-07-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper RX7
I've also got an 808 on the way, just wondering, is my standard Werks 4 Shoe Clutch going to fit? Or do I need to get the special smaller XRAY one (not sure if this only applies to the XB8)?
I would obviously like to use what I already have.

Also, can you also use standard clutch bells on the 808? Or do you need to use the HUDY 808 Bells with bigger bearings?
Ditto, already have plenty of bells and bearings that I would like to use.

Thanks
There is only a 1mm difference in diameter between the standard Werks flywheel and the Werks Xray flywheel. Not to significant.

dmayhew- Let's see, what did I break this year:
1. Front diff case at the shock tower- Don't really recall exactally how this happened, but there were some hard crashes that weekend
2. 3 sets of pinion gear bearings- Cased the triple at the local track at FULL speed, which broke the first set. Broke the other two sets at a track with massive high speed unforgiving jumps where coming up one foot short meant lawn darting into rock hard clay
3. One outer toe link ball end- Clipped the outside weeping tile at flat out max speed on my 3rd lap of a new track and proceded to cartwheel for about 30ft before coming to a stop.
4. Two sets of clutch bell bearings- Regular wear and tear
5. Bent chassis plate- Very slight bend (1-2 degrees maybe) because of the horrifying lawn darts throughout the year. I've just left it bent, which hasn't caused any abnormal behavior yet. I might be a chassis bending kinda guy though, since I've bent the chassis on every 8th class car I've ever owned.

I'd say that isn't too bad for one season! Xray now includes a little brace for the bearings that is supposed to solve the bearing breaking issue, and the centre front drive shaft is a bit shorter too. Those bearings are only ever a problem though if you case massive jumps on a regular basis, which at some tracks is a lot easier than at others.

Last edited by WheelNut; 12-07-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by WheelNut
There is only a 1mm difference in diameter between the standard Werks flywheel and the Werks Xray flywheel. Not to significant.

1. Front diff case at the shock tower- Don't really recall exactally how this happened, but there were some hard crashes that weekend
2. 3 sets of pinion gear bearings- Cased the triple at the local track at FULL speed, which broke the first set. Broke the other two sets at a track with massive high speed unforgiving jumps where coming up one foot short meant lawn darting into rock hard clay
3. One outer toe link ball end- Clipped the outside weeping tile at flat out max speed on my 3rd lap of a new track and proceded to cartwheel for about 30ft before coming to a stop.
5. Bent chassis plate- Very slight bend (1-2 degrees maybe) because of the horrifying lawn darts throughout the year. I've just left it bent, which hasn't caused any abnormal behavior yet. I might be a chassis bending kinda guy though, since I've bent the chassis on every 8th class car I've ever owned.

I'd say that isn't too bad for one season! Xray now includes a little brace for the bearings that is supposed to solve the bearing breaking issue, and the centre front drive shaft is a bit shorter too. Those bearings are only ever a problem though if you case massive jumps on a regular basis, which at some tracks is a lot easier than at others.
lol must be somthing to with your driving brad..........me and dad drove the 808 all season and only thing broken was a front diff case and dad was hit head on in the shock tower bye a guy going the wrong way out of the pits alfter the race was over.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 808 Active Diff...

FYI - I have an active diff for sell if anyone is interested.
Serious buyers PM me and I'll give you the details.

It comes with both plate sets. 90 and 120 degrees.
This is for the 808.
$90 shipped. PayPal only.
TEX
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

One other thing I can think of that pretty much everyone should have is a screw kit from Tony's. screws strip and/or fall out and this is good insurance.

I also recall putting longer screws in the rear camber links and the front steering links. I think stock is 3x18mm, I went 3x20 so the nylon part of the locking nut grabs the nylon a little better. When I first got the buggy a few screws fell out costing me races.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Hi I noticed on Amain they have the tractive diff is this the same as the active diff. Also they have all three for front centre and rear how would this help with my car handling. Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tex1
FYI - I have an active diff for sell if anyone is interested.
Serious buyers PM me and I'll give you the details.

It comes with both plate sets. 90 and 120 degrees.
This is for the 808.
$90 shipped. PayPal only.
TEX

PM Sent!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by savagebeing
PM Sent!
I was surprised it took this long before someone snatched this Active Diff up. Good price, but availability is the biggest opportunity here.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

I'm surprised to even see one for sale. (Really good Price too) My Active Diff, is my new best friend...
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WheelNut

Not too bad for a year of racing,....! Nice! New car for next year, or you gonna keep runnin that one? LOL!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Sorry guys...

Diff sold and shipped. 15 minutes on the sale and shipped this morn.
Did not know it would go that fast.
TEX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.