New XRAY 808

Old 11-23-2008, 05:14 PM
  #2791  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
rmargiotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: • 210 •
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

The new tank was just a running change so they didn't change the part number. (358600)

The most important thing to do when you glue the fuel tubing holders is to sand the back of the holder as flat as you can, maximizing the surface area, the SCORE THE FUEL TUBING HOLDER AND TANK WITH YOUR XACTO KNIFE!!! If you don't score it, I doubt it would stick well for long.
rmargiotta is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 PM
  #2792  
Tech Regular
 
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NY NY
Posts: 342
Default

Hey Rocco any news of a refined 808 for the upcoming Nuremberg toy fair in Germany? What bout the XT8?
Poppin Fresh is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
  #2793  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I raced the 808 "Active Diff" this weekend for the first time at a local club race. I started off with 1K oil to see what it would feel like, and how it would react to this surface/layout. After my first 2 laps during the practice, I instantly could see the advantage over the stock diff. The Off-Power steering was insane! The 808 turns really good with the stock diff, but with the Active Diff it increased it dramatically. The buggy would rotate amazingly good threw the whole turn with ZERO push, and without breaking loose the rear end. I did most of my passing in the 180* turns at this track. I basically could just turn in and exit sharper. The On-Power performance was better too. There's one section were there's a sweeping ON-Power turn to the front lane, and I could hold it at 3/4 throttle and hug the inside pipe threw the whole turn. With the stock diff, I had to blip the throttle to hold that same line.

I still have more testing to do, and learn the different setup's with it on different tracks, but so for I would give it a 10 out of 10. The only thing I noticed is the steering felt slightly more sensitive. Like I had a really super fast steering servo in it. Maybe in certain scenarios backing off the steering exponential in the radio would take that sharpened off.
Steve Walters is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
  #2794  
Tech Regular
 
lowey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 356
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
I raced the 808 "Active Diff" this weekend for the first time at a local club race. I started off with 1K oil to see what it would feel like, and how it would react to this surface/layout. After my first 2 laps during the practice, I instantly could see the advantage over the stock diff. The Off-Power steering was insane! The 808 turns really good with the stock diff, but with the Active Diff it increased it dramatically. The buggy would rotate amazingly good threw the whole turn with ZERO push, and without breaking loose the rear end. I did most of my passing in the 180* turns at this track. I basically could just turn in and exit sharper. The On-Power performance was better too. There's one section were there's a sweeping ON-Power turn to the front lane, and I could hold it at 3/4 throttle and hug the inside pipe threw the whole turn. With the stock diff, I had to blip the throttle to hold that same line.

I still have more testing to do, and learn the different setup's with it on different tracks, but so for I would give it a 10 out of 10. The only thing I noticed is the steering felt slightly more sensitive. Like I had a really super fast steering servo in it. Maybe in certain scenarios backing off the steering exponential in the radio would take that sharpened off.
Good report!

Maybe running 2 or 3000 oil might help with the sensitivity?
lowey79 is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
  #2795  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

Does it feel like going up in diff oil will work? I have have been on the fence on one of those & when I finally decided to go for it I couldnt get one & now I'm back on the fence. Heres the deal I run 7k because I love coming out of the corners hard & have even thought about trying 10k to amplify that but I want the turn in 5k gives & am used to & confident enough in the car now that maybe I could handle a 4k turn in if they made it but then I'm back to losing that steering coming out of corners if I do that. Now that you have felt the diff for yourself & seen how it reacts do you think the feel of 4-5k turn in & 10k coming out is possable with a little oil tuning? That is if they ever get any more of those diffs in america.
butch man is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 AM
  #2796  
Tech Adept
 
RC Huligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 181
Default

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Hey all, Just wanted to post my second ever race with the new 808. Round 2 of the AZ Championship series was Saturday in Tucson.

I qualified first in my first round, I qualified first in my second round. finished with the TQ spot out of 38 Novice racers.

The A-main was a different story. My driving sucked, I flipped and crashed about 10 times. The more I tried to make up for my lost time, the more I crashed, started cutting the corners too sharp, and too fast and traction rolling all over the place. Hit a freaking Pole! off one of the jumps, and got stuck behind it. Finished 5th after TQ, I was very disappointed with that. On a brighter side I finished 7th the first race so I guess I'm getting better. The buggy is amazing, my driving.....not so much. Round 3 is December 20th back at my home track (Nitro Pit) I'm looking forward to putting on an 808 show that day....more to come
Good job on the TQ.
RC Huligan is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:37 AM
  #2797  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (74)
 
aussies1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LAND DOWN UNDER
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default 808 turnbuckle steering servo

hi guys could anyone confirm the correct measurement for the steering servo turnbuckle as the book says 20.5mm but that dosent look right?anyone
cheers
aussies1129 is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 06:44 AM
  #2798  
Tech Master
iTrader: (72)
 
Swampracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Squamish
Posts: 1,790
Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default Active Diff

Hi guys,

People using the active diff in the 808, are you using it in the front or rear diff? Also what would be the part number. Is it sold a s a complete diff or just buy the parts and use the old diff bits.

Thanks Greg G
Swampracer is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM
  #2799  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (86)
 
jhautz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,264
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Swampracer
Hi guys,

People using the active diff in the 808, are you using it in the front or rear diff? Also what would be the part number. Is it sold a s a complete diff or just buy the parts and use the old diff bits.

Thanks Greg G
The active dif is designed for the front only. Its sold as a complete dif. The old standard dif doesnt really have any parts that can be transfered to the active dif. Its all new/different parts.

The active dif part number is:
355102 XRAY XB808 Active Diff™
jhautz is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
  #2800  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Maybe running 2 or 3000 oil might help with the sensitivity?

The sensitivity is not a bad thing. Its just something to expect (At least I found) After 2-3 tanks I was use to it, and it never gave me any issue (Or thought) during the 3 heats or A-Main. I raced with 1k as a starting weight, and when it would engage ON-Power the "feel" it gave my buggy was approx 8-10K. I've never used anything heavier then 7K in the front with a stock diff, and my Active with 1K, gave the "feel" of a little heavier weight then that when ON-power.


I also had to tighten UP my servo saver (SS) a little too. (Med/Hard) If your SS is too loose, your ON-Power steering will be sacrificed a little. But to tight (Or Locked) damage can accrue from impacts were your SS take some of the impact out. (So not super hard) I've noticed with the stock differential having my SS set around medium spring tension works well. But with the Active Diff I needed to set my SS to the firmer side, or I could actually see/feel my front wheels being pulled straight(er) while ON-Power. Intern I wasn't getting the full potential of the ON-power steering capability with my SS set at Medium tension with my Active Diff. Just an FYI


Gear mesh is very important with the Active Diff too. When I installed mine, I needed to shim it closer to the bevel gear. (2 x .2mm shims) I found without any shims the Pinion and Bevel where catching the ends of the teeth and "could" pop in and out of gear. Just take the time to make sure the gear mesh is proper! Others I've talk to who have raced there Active Diff, they had to do the same thing to there's. Shim(s) it closer to the bevel gear.

Last edited by Steve Walters; 11-24-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Steve Walters is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
  #2801  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
rmargiotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: • 210 •
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aussies1129
hi guys could anyone confirm the correct measurement for the steering servo turnbuckle as the book says 20.5mm but that dosent look right?anyone
cheers
My servo link is 18.5mm (space between the two rod ends). This is a rough 90" angle between the link and servo arm when the steering rack is in the middle with both of the steering links that go to the hubs being the exactly the same length.

Originally Posted by butch man
Does it feel like going up in diff oil will work? I have have been on the fence on one of those & when I finally decided to go for it I couldnt get one & now I'm back on the fence. Heres the deal I run 7k because I love coming out of the corners hard & have even thought about trying 10k to amplify that but I want the turn in 5k gives & am used to & confident enough in the car now that maybe I could handle a 4k turn in if they made it but then I'm back to losing that steering coming out of corners if I do that. Now that you have felt the diff for yourself & seen how it reacts do you think the feel of 4-5k turn in & 10k coming out is possable with a little oil tuning? That is if they ever get any more of those diffs in america.
I hope we'll see more on our next order as XRAY backordered part of them on our last...

But as far as the diff goes, it is designed to give you the best of both worlds, more steering on and off power. With the off-power steering amount dictated by the wt oil you are running, on power should be the same feeling no matter which oil you run.
rmargiotta is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:28 PM
  #2802  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (74)
 
aussies1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LAND DOWN UNDER
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=rmargiotta;5087764]My servo link is 18.5mm (space between the two rod ends). This is a rough 90" angle between the link and servo arm when the steering rack is in the middle with both of the steering links that go to the hubs being the exactly the same length.

hey that sounds about right cause 20.5 dosent leave much of the rod inside each ball joint.
cheers
aussies1129 is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
  #2803  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Rocco,

I'm confused a little then, why would the info given to me from XRAY (Europe) say about using the different weight (500, 1k or 2K) as starting points? Saying, depending if more Off-Power or On-Power is needed, to start with the desired weight? Wouldn't you just run the lightest weight made then, if the On-power "feels" the same no matter what weight is used? I've only use 1K so far, so I haven't directly compared weights.

Last edited by Steve Walters; 11-24-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Steve Walters is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
  #2804  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
rmargiotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: • 210 •
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

I don't know that it would change the on power too much between the 1k-5k with the active diff because the mechanical force of the plates being pushed together will overcome the impedance of the gear movement due to different oil wts.
rmargiotta is offline  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM
  #2805  
Tech Regular
 
lowey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 356
Default

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
I don't know that it would change the on power too much between the 1k-5k with the active diff because the mechanical force of the plates being pushed together will overcome the impedance of the gear movement due to different oil wts.
But if it works similar to a syncro-assembly in a full size car gearbox, then running thicker oil will make the plates harder to bite in? I have no real idea how they work just thinkin out loud....
lowey79 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.