New XRAY 808

Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
  #2011  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by arm2storm
I'm not here to start anything but there is no way that is normal, the arms must be to soft, they need to work on that issue. I've had many other buggy to say that is normal.

The car is great I've never had any other car that handles like the 808 but bearing and arms is one thing they need to go back to the drawing board.

my 2 cents

I have a lot of time/racing on my buggy now, with zero bending of the arms. Even my front right arm is still in great shape after racing (18 minutes of a 20 minute main) with a bum shock, and dragging most of the time. I have a question, how are racers storing there buggy's when they are not racing. In the garage where it can get to be 140+ (here) in the summer, or left in a car/trunk for any extended period of time? I did that once (Garage) with my Losi last year in 100+ weather, and bent the heck out of them. I never store any of my race gear in there anymore in the summer. Just an idea.......

Last edited by Steve Walters; 09-01-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Steve Walters is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM
  #2012  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (208)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 8,547
Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by arm2storm
I'm not here to start anything but there is no way that is normal, the arms must be to soft, they need to work on that issue. I've had many other buggy to say that is normal.

The car is great I've never had any other car that handles like the 808 but bearing and arms is one thing they need to go back to the drawing board.

my 2 cents
I do not feel it is an issue, the buggy works simple as that. We want flex in components. Especially in low traction conditions like offroad. We gain traction when components flex. This is a top of the line RACING PERFORMANCE buggy.

Why do Top Fuel cars tear down after every run? Becuase they are top of the line RACING PERFORMANCE cars. If you want something that you do not have to perform maintenance then you have the wrong buggy

There are plenty of us that have not had bearing issues such as myself.

The type of abuse we put the cars through is incredible. And they still hold together. Some hings may break or wear out that is racing.
dodgeguy is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
  #2013  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 743
Talking

My results with my 808 equal ====....




...two big races in a row Expert/Pro A-main.....



Its hard to argue with results.
CarCrazy is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 AM
  #2014  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,173
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CarCrazy

Its hard to argue with results.
+1 well said!
xlgraphicspro is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM
  #2015  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Backpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 72
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
If you bent both drive shafts, you need to keep it on its wheels more, and make sure you land on them too.

I see its was your first real race (Congrats), so make sure you kept the car in one piece, because nothing is indestructible, and like the old saying goes, "In order to finish first, first you must finish."

Good luck with your next race.
You know the weird thing is that I don't crash this car very often, not near as much as the hyper. My problem is we have a few good kickers , one that sends you like 15ft in the air. Well this car jumps so good that i tend to over jump it as with the hyper i had to really push it to clear the gaps. I'm not too comfortable with my radio either, the brake position is harder for me to use than with some others i recently tried. I found myself clearing the landing pad and landing hard and flat, thats what probably bent the center drive shafts.
I ended up running my main on bowties as opposed to the crimes i had been running since i got this car. Even though i had no practice with them, they seemed to help give me just enough slip to where the car wouldn't wheelie and squat so much. I also dropped my rear diff fluid back down to 2000. So the 5-5-2 with the bowties seemed to work out in the end. I only had 3 days to build and learn to drive this car before the weekend so overall I'm really stoked. I think with some more practice with it i might even make a top 3 finish before summer ends.(b-c main lol)
Backpain is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
  #2016  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
rmargiotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 210
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Here's the setup you need to run if you're having trouble with you're rear...

Starting Setup

As far as the arms go, put it this way, plastic doesn't have 100% memory retention especially after a couple gallons of running, its just the nature of the universe.

Juraj had thicker arms on the prototype 808's that we received, that wouldn't warp. During testing we found when we dremeled them to make them thin (like the production arms) they made the car night/day better. The softer arms just make the car work like it does.
I'll tell y'all what, I'll try to dig up the prototype arms I can find and send them to somebody on here so they can run them back to back and see how they just don't work as well.

How does your Hyper 9 handle compared to the 808?
rmargiotta is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM
  #2017  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 95
Thumbs up

Quick question about lightness....

Do you guys think that for the "new driver" or for someone who's coming from a heavier buggy, that adding some aluminum hop-ups would be good. I mean just to add a tiny bit more weight, such as the hinge pin holders, motor mount, and other aluminum parts. I wonder if this would help plant the car and help jump a little less.

My thought is, just run a motor with less power. If the car is that light then there is no reason to run a modded powerhouse of motor. I've personally done well with a $179.00 RB S3 in expert class racing.

Just a thought...
Inside_Line is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
  #2018  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
rmargiotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 210
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Inside_Line
Quick question about lightness....

Do you guys think that for the "new driver" or for someone who's coming from a heavier buggy, that adding some aluminum hop-ups would be good. I mean just to add a tiny bit more weight, such as the hinge pin holders, motor mount, and other aluminum parts. I wonder if this would help plant the car and help jump a little less.

My thought is, just run a motor with less power. If the car is that light then there is no reason to run a modded powerhouse of motor. I've personally done well with a $179.00 RB S3 in expert class racing.

Just a thought...

Any car will work better when it is lighter. It will be easier to drive and easier to control when it gets out of control because you don't get the inertia/momentum from all of that extra weight. As much grip as this car has and as light as it is, it almost makes driving boring, but you're going faster than crap, haha!

If there is any where you may get in trouble, it is the power department, I would recommend a 5.4mm carb insert (found in .12 on road motors). This will tame any motor down. I find I drive better with less power, but I can't stand not having the ponies!!!

As far as the aluminum parts go, the only parts that are marginally heavier than their stock counterparts is the motor mount (10g heavier) front steering blocks and rear hubs (about 4g heavier each). The hinge pin holders almost weigh the same as the stock pieces (only differing by 1-3g).
rmargiotta is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
  #2019  
Tech Master
iTrader: (33)
 
rregl0612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: harrisburg, Pa
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Inside_Line
Quick question about lightness....

Do you guys think that for the "new driver" or for someone who's coming from a heavier buggy, that adding some aluminum hop-ups would be good. I mean just to add a tiny bit more weight, such as the hinge pin holders, motor mount, and other aluminum parts. I wonder if this would help plant the car and help jump a little less.

My thought is, just run a motor with less power. If the car is that light then there is no reason to run a modded powerhouse of motor. I've personally done well with a $179.00 RB S3 in expert class racing.

Just a thought...
+1!!!
rregl0612 is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 PM
  #2020  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (52)
 
pablo101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 885
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
I have a lot of time/racing on my buggy now, with zero bending of the arms. Even my front right arm is still in great shape after racing (18 minutes of a 20 minute main) with a bum shock, and dragging most of the time. I have a question, how are racers storing there buggy's when they are not racing. In the garage where it can get to be 140+ (here) in the summer, or left in a car/trunk for any extended period of time? I did that once (Garage) with my Losi last year in 100+ weather, and bent the heck out of them. I never store any of my race gear in there anymore in the summer. Just an idea.......
I store my gear in the house never exposed to extreme heat other than when racing. I ran an XB8 TQ for years and never broke a part or warped arm. If just keeping an eye on the arms that's fine by me to keep it handleing as it does.
pablo101 is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 12:02 PM
  #2021  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
rmargiotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 210
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

The old XB8 arms didn't warp because they were so thick. If you ran the Soft arms, you'll know that these did warp (but were a lot thinner (and made the car handle like a dream)).

If you're concerned, remove the shocks from the arms between races, as it is this force causing them to warp.
rmargiotta is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
  #2022  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Backpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 72
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

As far as the question about the heavier front parts. I had put the upgrade front knuckles and caster blocks on from the start and I can tell you this, even with them the car drives like its 10lbs lighter than my hyper, it jumps farther,higher, corners faster.
'
My only issues still are with my radio, i run a spektrum DX3r and i hate it, it glitches and loses signal all the time. Theres 1 section of the track that the car will get to and the throttle will just blip full throttle and i lose steering(not every time but at least 1 time a day). I have it binded with the failsafe at full brake and it still does it.I have also made sure all connections are good and the linkage is not getting hung up.
Today during practice it did it when i was coming down off the radio stand, I was parked right in line with the 4 ft kicker, the car took off for about 3 seconds and it was just enough to launch it off the jump but not enough to make the landing slope. It landed short into the front of the landing slope.
I think i'm the first one to bend the 808 BCE chassis. It's a total loss on a chassis i got to run for 2 days. Like throwing money away.
I loved that chassis too , the car felt so planted with it. Glad i didn't sell the stocker or I'd be SOL.
Backpain is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
  #2023  
Tech Addict
 
NITROALM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 685
Exclamation

Hi BP Sorry to hear about the radio issue
contact me at my email ([email protected]) or you can get me
at bcespeed.com about your Chassis.
I will get you up and running.
Are you running lipo w reg?
do you have a switch with your receiver?
low voltage or pack problem,,
any glitch whatsoever with any 2.4 systems
will send them off like a rocket.
We have found just straight plug in
and you will usually have no issues
if you are running Lipo you must unplug
at the end of the run or damage may happen.
NITROALM is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
  #2024  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Backpain
As far as the question about the heavier front parts. I had put the upgrade front knuckles and caster blocks on from the start and I can tell you this, even with them the car drives like its 10lbs lighter than my hyper, it jumps farther,higher, corners faster.
'
My only issues still are with my radio, i run a spektrum DX3r and i hate it, it glitches and loses signal all the time. Theres 1 section of the track that the car will get to and the throttle will just blip full throttle and i lose steering(not every time but at least 1 time a day). I have it binded with the failsafe at full brake and it still does it.I have also made sure all connections are good and the linkage is not getting hung up.
Today during practice it did it when i was coming down off the radio stand, I was parked right in line with the 4 ft kicker, the car took off for about 3 seconds and it was just enough to launch it off the jump but not enough to make the landing slope. It landed short into the front of the landing slope.
I think i'm the first one to bend the 808 BCE chassis. It's a total loss on a chassis i got to run for 2 days. Like throwing money away.
I loved that chassis too , the car felt so planted with it. Glad i didn't sell the stocker or I'd be SOL.
Wow, if you bent a brand new chassis, your defenilty hard on equipment! That 8x8 is stronger then the stock chassis. But looks like BCE is taking care of you, and get you up and running again fast. Awesome Customer service Bill...
Steve Walters is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
  #2025  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Backpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 72
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Lol I actually was just emailing you guys to see if you wanted me to send it back for analysis.
Let me make it clear to everyone that the car landed extremely hard on the crest of a landing jump and it has nothing to do with the chassis being weak. Its a huge jump and pretty much every chassis that runs on our track gets bent eventually,I personally have seen 2 bent factory 808 chassis and several oem hypers.
Backpain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.