New XRAY 808

Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well i didnt get to read this until tonite which was after my pro series qualifier today. We got pounded with brain and had to sweep and drain the track for the first 2 hrs and then dump like 20 bags of sawdust down to get it drivable, What a mess!!!!
But as the day progressed it dried. My first qual i did pretty good getting 3rd and was just getting used to tge car with the BCE chassis i put on last night. WOW what a difference it made, the car seemed to off power corner as lot better, the oly thing i can see wrong for me is that it flexed so much that i bent both my center drive shafts and my throttle linkage ball socket got pushed into and rubbed the center diff cover(I have the carbon one).
I did notice the throttle issue with the oem chassis and re adjusted it to try for more clearance. But with the BCE its actually a hair longer then oem chassis or the placement of the center diff is moved slightly as the gap got bigger and helped some.

The car has so much power that is seems like its trying to wheelie down the track out of the corners, that might be why i'm losing steering out of the turn when i come into the throttle, the front lifts and the rear squats. This car squats pretty bad.
I also switched from the 35 in the rear to the 30 and that seemed to help. I will change pipes to a 2057 probably next time.
I was in my 3rd qual and had a bad start as i mde changes to the car but i eventually pulled it together and was holding 2nd place when i was on my last lap and 2 ft from the # 1 guys car the clutch bearing exploded, This is the 2nd set this week. i tried them on the flush with not much play so now i took out 1 shim and made it pretty lose.

Finals tomorrow , what do you think about 1k in the rear?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The 808 needs no option parts. I bought the front and rear hinge braces and ended up going back to stock.

If you are still building the car dont waste your time with the stock setup, go straight to Rocco'sstarting setup. It is very easy to drive.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 AM
BSC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I've got a BCE chassis on the way because i bent the original one and bent the drive shafts as well Maybe the billet braces would help stop the bent front and rear drive shafts ?
I like to hear it has better off power steering , i thought the standard one did that great .
Did the car feel more planted or stable at all ?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Blackscale
Hey guys what hop-up's if any should I look at first when I start building my 808?
+1 on the other replies. Don't waste any money on option parts at this point. Just do the build and put it on the track. Get the one piece engine mount for convience if that appeals to you. Consider hop up parts only after you've run some tanks through it.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Default Engine Cuts after stop

Hi All

I am at my wits end with this car - for the 7th consective meeting my car has cut at the stop. This has happened every time since i first built it and its driving me crazy. I have 3 engines WS7 S5 and OS VZB which have been used all last year and this year in my 8ight. I can't recall ever cutting with this car.

With the XRAY no matter which engine i put in they cut, i have changed the fuel pipe, routing, checked tank pressure for leaks(ok) and the lid but i don't know what else to try as the tank is very expensive 20. I have tried putting a fuel filter on the exhaust line and have tried retuning the engines but nothing works. I have even fitted the Losi air filter system just to eleimate this but still it cuts

Why didn't XRAy use the clunk design ala Thunder Tiger/Losi?

I put the S5 back in the losi and tried it for 6 tanks and it didn't cut once so what is wrong??

Any Suggestions welcome cause its a better car then the losi but i can't make up 1 or 2 laps i keep losing in the mains due to the cuts.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Very True! the 808 is awesome out of the box, but IMO the upgrades for the hinge braces are a must if you travel to different tracks throughout the season that have changed surfaces and cornering... they offer a tons of setup options to tune the car just that little bit extra (if needed). Id rather have them and not need them then to need them and not have them!
I have them install and also the upgraded rear hubs add even more adjustments...
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sounds like a leaking tank and its the only part that hasn't been changed.

I agree on the suspension holders. I ran 4 degree of rear toe at a meeting this weekend gone and was even running 4 degree of anti squat with it at one stage. Buy for set up options, not bling.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

it may also be a result of having too much fuel line install in the car... I had a problem with this issue but shortened up the line and made sure gravity was helping the flow!
Old 08-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BSC,

Make sure your front chassis brace is not hitting the front drive line from extreme flex. I took a dremel and made my drive line cut out on the chassis brace slightly larger. I could see where my was hitting/ rubbing at times. Since I've done this slight mod (1/16" more clearance) I haven't seen any more rub on mine, with zero bending of the drive line, and I've had some bad high speed crashes. IMO, I think many of these few front drive lines that are getting bent, is because they are hitting the front chassis brace when extreme flex is happening, just make a little more room for it on the brace.

I raced last night on a SUPER blown out track. It was round 4 (of 5) of CVR's "Nitro Nights" series. Two minutes into the twenty minute A-Main, I thought I broke a front right shock shaft. (Actually the shaft just un-threaded front the ball joint) and I still finished second overall with only three working shocks. I love the handling of my BCE 808, and the 808 shocks. I never believe a buggy with only 3 working shocks could still be competitive on a blown track with some very good buggy drivers racing..

Last edited by Steve Walters; 09-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
BSC,

Make sure your front chassis brace is not hitting the front drive line from extreme flex. I took a dremel and made my drive line cut out on the chassis brace slightly larger. I could see where my was hitting/ rubbing at time. Since I've done this slight mod (1/16" more clearance) I haven't seen any more rub on mine, with zero bending of the drive line, and I've had some bad high speed crashes. IMO, I think many of these few front drive lines that are getting bent, is because they are hitting the front chassis brace when extreme flex is happening, just make a little more room for it on the brace.

I raced last night on a SUPER blown out track. It was round 4 (of 5) of CVR's "Nitro Nights" series. Two minutes into the twenty minute A-Main, I thought I broke a front right shock shaft. (Actually the shaft just un-threaded front the ball joint) and I still finished second overall with only three working shocks. I love the handling of my BCE 808, and the 808 shocks. I never believe a buggy with only 3 working shocks could still be competitive on a blown track with some very good buggy drivers racing..
That doesn't sound possible. How did your chassis not just drag the dirt? I have yet to see any vehicle that is drivable with the chassis scraping the ground. Unless I misunderstood your post, I need photo's!! lol
Old 08-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jaz240
That doesn't sound possible. How did your chassis not just drag the dirt? I have yet to see any vehicle that is drivable with the chassis scraping the ground. Unless I misunderstood your post, I need photo's!! lol

The spring (Blue/Gray) still held in place for the race and the shock shaft unscrewed from the ball joint and got locked into the arm preventing the spring from popping off completely. But bent the heck out of the shaft racing it this way. So it still had "some" working properties, just zero damping. The front right was riding extremely low, and would drag/bottom out all the time, but was still drive able. I had to change my driving lines, and avoid certain areas, and I did spin out on several areas. I'm leading in there points series by only a few points, and couldn't afford pulling off, so I just kept racing, and it held together. I was just amazed how well it did drive with one bum shock. Gave me confidence, if I do have a problem, I can still "possibly" finish a long main.....

Last edited by Steve Walters; 08-31-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

That's pretty awesome, But I would have to say you just got incredibly lucky. I don't think it has anything to do with the Quality of Xray, you just lucked out that your shock got stuck in the A-Arm, lol
Old 09-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

In all the years i've been racing, I have come to realize something...It isn't really about how fast you are, that determines your finish, it is more about how fast everyone else is.

For example, a local Factory racer here once told me after I won a Regionals that I only won because he wasn't at the race. I thought about it and realized that the regional titles that he won were because Cavalieri or Easton did not race those regionals. (Aka, any one faster then he is)

In fact, now that Billy Easton lives in Region 4, he just TQed and won this year, LOL!

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Regional Moderator

Jim -

What is the secret of getting the fast(er) guys to skip the races you enter? Sounds like this should be posted in the "Secrets of RC" thread..
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
In all the years i've been racing, I have come to realize something...It isn't really about how fast you are, that determines your finish, it is more about how fast everyone else is.

For example, a local Factory racer here once told me after I won a Regionals that I only won because he wasn't at the race. I thought about it and realized that the regional titles that he won were because Cavalieri or Easton did not race those regionals. (Aka, any one faster then he is)

In fact, now that Billy Easton lives in Region 4, he just TQed and won this year, LOL!

...Jim
W.E.D.

I would be the first to admit I'm nobody (Not nearly as fast as any of the National level drivers) but should that take away from you, I or anyone other Non-National driver from taking credit for high placing or a win, if Drake, Cav, Mayfield are not there racing against you? If that's the case every club race shouldn't even race an A-main because 99% of us are would not qualify for it again them at there level. LOL

When I see a youth win a novice race, or a sportsman's level driver win in a series they worked very hard to be competitive in, I'm very happy for them. I would never take there hard work and accomplishment away by thinking (OR saying) "Well sense you didn't race against a known better driver your really only 2nd best." IMO A win (and credit for that win) comes to the driver who finishes first in that race, and it doesn't matter if a known better driver wasn't there or didn't race against them.

Last edited by Steve Walters; 09-01-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.