New XRAY 808

Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Uhhh guys,... I think Skinny was racing the 808 buggy at the 2008 ROAR Nationals while writing the article, if I'm not mistaken. I might have that wrong, but I can tell you the guy who wrote the 808 article is a racer. I like the magazines write-ups, but unfortunately they have to be careful about how and what they write. Have you ever heard the statement "dont bite the hand that feeds you", unfortunately that apply's to all magazine reviews. I'm sure he "Skinny", did his best to show the buggy in a good way. As for be non-informative... part, I don't think most of these magazines have as much time as they would like to detail every review, so go easy on them.

P.S. The best was watching Skinny fit into that little helicopter.... Lets just say knee to chin, not so easy for Skinny who really isn't skinny ...

Here is the Link to the Heli ride ROAR vid I'm talking about..
http://www.undergroundrc.com/videos.aspx?uID=72

Ok...now back to the 808.... I've been on the podium 3 out of 4 of my last races with my 808...
Yeah when we first went in that heli I was in AZ at the nitro pit. We went up and we made the decision that Skinny should go buy himself. We didn't want to hurt the poor little heli!

Going into detail usually doesnt' do much. You can focus on the bad or focus on the good...and its actually easier to focus on the bad because it may mask the fact that somebody might not actually know what they are talking about.

There's pros and cons too all reviews and the internet. I am not dumb or ignore the fact we dont' have months to run cars for review. I also am aware that people on the internet tend to thing their opinion is better than everybody else, lol.

We freely admit what car WE would buy once a year...it's called our X-Best. Unlike "readers choice" we actually tell our readers what we would buy.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ngo8
i just got one from amain .
i looked there as i have an order almost ready but i couldn't find a tank...maybe i just missed it... i'll look over it again

Thanks,
-DC-
Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Uhhh guys,... I think Skinny was racing the 808 buggy at the 2008 ROAR Nationals while writing the article, if I'm not mistaken. I might have that wrong, but I can tell you the guy who wrote the 808 article is a racer. I like the magazines write-ups, but unfortunately they have to be careful about how and what they write. Have you ever heard the statement "dont bite the hand that feeds you", unfortunately that apply's to all magazine reviews. I'm sure he "Skinny", did his best to show the buggy in a good way. As for be non-informative... part, I don't think most of these magazines have as much time as they would like to detail every review, so go easy on them.

P.S. The best was watching Skinny fit into that little helicopter.... Lets just say knee to chin, not so easy for Skinny who really isn't skinny ...

Here is the Link to the Heli ride ROAR vid I'm talking about..
http://www.undergroundrc.com/videos.aspx?uID=72

Ok...now back to the 808.... I've been on the podium 3 out of 4 of my last races with my 808...
Luckily I had the magazine with me so i wouldn't end up sticking my shoe in my mouth. I believe testing was done at revelation raceway, and no mention of it being The Roar nats.

Ands sorry, I didn't mean to say you guys draw out of a hat, you drew straws instead right?

I also agree that the internet and bloggs undermine serious writers. It gives every Dufuss a voice, and some voices should be muted. I'd like to think I on occasion bring up some valid points. like I said, if a hardcore racer reviewed the 808, it would probably have gotten a worse review. but I want to know what could go wrong, and what the weak points are. A magazine alone won't make me chage my opinion, it can just serve as a guide.
Anyway, great magazine it's the only one I buy.
Now send me a shirt! Just joking!

Last edited by xlgraphicspro; 08-22-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oh yeah, I've been to the podium 3 of the last 3 events. 2 second place finishes, and 1 first. both second place finises were behind an 808 as well!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smitty2802
i looked there as i have an order almost ready but i couldn't find a tank...maybe i just missed it... i'll look over it again

Thanks,
-DC-
That is becuase it is not a new tank. If you look up just 808 parts at A main no tank. It is the same tank as the old car.

Here is the link.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8326
Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
That is becuase it is not a new tank. If you look up just 808 parts at A main no tank. It is the same tank as the old car.

Here is the link.

oh ok cool thanks kevin... and i need some decals made so you have a pm i'll send you money tomorrow for them...

Thanks,
-DC-
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How is Skinny qualified to "review" such a nice race car when he's a horrible racer? I don't think Road & Track or Motor Trend have editors who cannot drive at all reviewing automobiles just because they have "enthusiasm." He should stick with T-Maxxes.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
How is Skinny qualified to "review" such a nice race car when he's a horrible racer? I don't think Road & Track or Motor Trend have editors who cannot drive at all reviewing automobiles just because they have "enthusiasm." He should stick with T-Maxxes.
crash- they should have let scooter review the 808
Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
crash- they should have let scooter review the 808
truer words have never been spoken...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smitty2802

Thanks,
-DC-
here you go its not under the 808 parts list for some reason it says xb8r tank but i looked in my book and the part number is the same as the 808 so this is the tank.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC Huligan
Are you talking about the 808 review? I read the Xtreme RC Cars magazine review again and I can't find where they gave it a "bad on-track review." If I've heard any complaints about the review is that they didn't have anything negative to say about the 808. Also, they used the set-up that came with the 808 which was provided by Josh Wheeler, "XRAY's top US driver." It makes sense to use that set up.
I'm talking about their review of the Xray XT8 truggy not the 808. Read the review for that and you'll see that they used the stock set-up whereas the review for the Kyosho ST-RR had their Kyosho sponsored driver Levi Jackson come over and set-up the truggy himself.

Last edited by Poppin Fresh; 08-22-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Has anybody tried any different lids to fit this buggy, like the Losi, or Mugen, besides the aftermarket lids. The stock lid is sooooo hideous! It looks like a pregnant goldfish
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/review808/

Somethink for Xray mianiacs.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Has anybody tried any different lids to fit this buggy, like the Losi, or Mugen, besides the aftermarket lids. The stock lid is sooooo hideous! It looks like a pregnant goldfish
i'm not sure any of them really fit good enough to actually use... i know my buddy used a kyosho lid and it's just isn't tall enough... he had to heat up the right side window and make it bigger for the linkages...

i laid a jammin body on it and i think i had the same problem...

If i were you i would just get the j-concepts body as thats the one that i use as my practice body and it is the only j-concepts body i even like...

-DC-
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ngo8
here you go its not under the 808 parts list for some reason it says xb8r tank but i looked in my book and the part number is the same as the 808 so this is the tank.

thanks i got it now... and BTW nice avitar!!!! GO SOX

-DC-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.