New XRAY 808

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Hey guys the front and rear CVD drive shafts. I know they need to be replaced when the pins start to wear, but can I just replace the pins? Do they come out? Or do I need to buy all new CVD's?
Here it is.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...1&kategoria=69
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
I'll have to take back my flashy but needless comment- bugger -if you look in the advertising that comes with your kit you'll see that hudy do a drive pin removal tool and yes you can get replacement pins they're also shown-

maybe not because there is an answer on page 5 of your manual

Adrian
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I deserve all the Chit you guys r gonna give me. I totally missed that on Page 5. I noticed it said replace when worn but didn't see manual referring to pins only, and not entire shaft. Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

What parts do I need to look out for as far as breakage. Like what parts break the most, A-arms, braces, or front hubs.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Hey guys, whats crackin? Working out a deal with team Xray and will hopefully be picking up a sponsorship with them this week and i realize there are 1800+ responses to this thread and I was hoping someone can PM me and give me the low down on this car as far as the stuff that has to be changed, looked at, avoided, etc. Thanks guys!!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blackscale
What parts do I need to look out for as far as breakage. Like what parts break the most, A-arms, braces, or front hubs.
I havent been able to break it yet. Just run it. I havent really heard of many having issues with any part in particular. Like an idiot I bought a bag full of spares I havent needed.

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
Hey guys, whats crackin? Working out a deal with team Xray and will hopefully be picking up a sponsorship with them this week and i realize there are 1800+ responses to this thread and I was hoping someone can PM me and give me the low down on this car as far as the stuff that has to be changed, looked at, avoided, etc. Thanks guys!!
Its just about as perfect of a buggy as you could ask for. The only finiky thing I have found is the bearings need a little more attention than some others, but other than that...
Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

This is the problem with Xray cars, they don't break ... So people immediatly believe impossible. the guy didn't push it hard enough or it doesn't race. At local track, 2 guy sold there "old" buggy (Storm, RC8 and Kyo$ho) to get 3 808,
1 for each and 1 for spare. I believe the spare one was useless
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Everyone has a different experience, i have seen the 808 break a few times now. Keep in mind these are from pro class drivers, not the basher that hits you hard as nails while going into the turn. Regardless it is a great car, but they are not immune, i can promise you that.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

no one said immune. just no particular problem areas to worry about specifically. Its still just plastic parts not kriptonite. If you hit the wall at the end of the straight without letting up you will break something. But in normal racing they are very tough.

Like I said I have a bag full of spares I havent used, but if I didnt have the spares I'm sure something would break on me and Id be screwed. Tough to not have any spares especially since the LHS doesnt stock the parts.

Id say if you are lookiong for a parts list the "normal" stuff applies. front and rear hubs, knuckles and uprights, arms, hinge pins. some of the upper arm rod ends and steering ends, a spare CVD etc... The normal spares list.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
I've had this car since the first shipment I think and have broken NO parts, with this being my 1st 1/8 buggy. I have changed bearings at about 1.5-2 gal., 1 rear hub carrier pin (bent), 1 front upper turnbuckle (bent) and just now put new arms all the way around, they were sagging a bit.

I've got a bag full of spares but haven't needed much. There have been people with a few reported problems if you browse the Team XRAY forum to give you a little more insight. However myself and another local driver who purchased an 808 have had ZERO problems with anything on this car while driving 1-2 times a week for over 2 months.

The parts you break will be what you don't have and the parts you have will never break!!!
So buy one of everything and you're set!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have complied a list of parts to stock in your race bag after 6+ gallons of test time on this buggy, so here you go.

Parts that could brake, bend or strip:
1. (1) Plastic steering ball links inner outer. (I cracked the inner one)
2. (10) 19x13x4 bearings (keep a good stock of these for the bulkhead set)
3. (2) Bulkheads... stock two. (I've lost two of these to bearing failures)
4. (1) Steal upper rear camber link. (Seen one bend on someone else's car)
5 (1) set of screws (Always good to stock some good old black steel screws)
6. (1) set of shock ends
7. (1) set of upper camber link ends

Parts that wear or strip out:
- Servo tray mounting blocks (Has always been an issue on Xray)
- Chassis braces (they soften up after 3-4 gallons and allow too much flex)
- Center drive shaft pins and parts

Extreme crash parts:
- Rear shock tower (I've cracked one, but no real need to stock one)
- Plastic front steering top plate (Ive seen one crack, might want to go carbon fiber here)

Many of the parts listed above are $3.00 items that should be kept "just in case". While the list seems long consider that all those parts are from 3 or 4 peoples breakage over 4-5 gallons of fuel. Also, all that will cost about as much as one burned out servo on your buddies Losi.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

It's for these reasons hobby shops don't like carrying XRAY. They buy parts once and they sit there because they don't break! The only thing we sell that I manage to break is the M18T, but this happens when I hit a wall on a carpet track with my 8kv brushless 3S lipo truck, haha!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
If you read the same issue of Xtreme R/C, the Traxxas Slash got higher or equal ratings, so sorry guys, we no longer have the off-road car to get! The Slash is stronger, has equal fit and finish as well as handling, and better instructions according to them?!

Somebody needs to bring the credibility of the reviewers and how they're done into question at some point.

R/C Car is turning into my favorite as well, it's a magazine who's employees race the cars! Like RC America, only one employee here hasn't raced, everybody else either races now, or as raced. Heck even the owner used to race all the time haha!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest...

So how about them 808's!!!

UNSTABLE - That's badass for spray can! What did you use to mask it? I tried liquid mask and spray can being too lazy to clean my airbrush for a base coat, and it was a DISASTER!
Umm the rating aren't against each other in a review. To compare the quality of a race kit to a bashing/beginner kit is stupid. If we compared them together it wouldn't be fair either.

For the record
Our employees all "race" too.

Mike McMahon...National champ...sponsored at one point by YOU
James Revilla...race and runs a drift series
Skinny-Loves to race and he may not be the best driver but his enthusiasm makes up for his lack of "wheel"
Dave Palacios...Design the PTI truck before Mini monsters were out. Runs crawling all the time
Carl Hyndman...Runs TC and Off road electric all the time
Jason Boulanger...Shoots RC everything and races
Me...used to race all the time (since I was 12) now I run 2 magazines so it's hard to find time, but I just finished building the Mp9 and have a Traxxas Slash ready to race (you laugh but they are one of the biggest classes out here).
The Owner "Mike Velez" ran RC, had a hobbyshop, ran an RC company "team action" and started a Magazine about RC.

So I don't know where you think we don't race, or unintentionally question our integrity and before you call people out it might help to check some facts.

I may be out of practice but I've won a lot of races in my day and even got into the B Main at the Nitro Sedan Nationals...which I feel is pretty impressive for me not really running nitro sedan.

The problem is you don't understand how ALL magazine base reviews and what they are geared for. A Slash Review isn't written around a professional 1/8-scale buggy racers point of view. And if you're honest with yourself, and unless your 12...the stuff we consider crap is 14 times better than what most of us started with.

FYI–Bess started here, Jason Started here...even Waldo.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
Exactly, since we may advertise 5-8% of what Traxxas does...... Haha, but sine they're in a magazine they do carry some 'assumed' credibility, which is unfortunate.

That's one thing I do like about these guys, and is why they are swaying me to read their magazine vs. any other!

But it is a fact of life that money will dictate what is presented as 'fact' or even presented at all... (e.g. Fox, CNN, ABC, Al Jazeera, etc...)

Anyway, back on topic, haha, who all is running their 808 this weekend?!
I am, if the rain stops and the track is built...
Another mis conception and totally untrue statement. What you "perceive" is all the other companies advertising for Traxxas.

The truth is Traxxas (with us) runs a spread...and XRAY runs a single page. So you technically have 50% and realistically the cost difference between a single and spread makes it less of a difference in "money"

Don't take this the wrong way but this happens a lot. People get some bug in their ass and make up statistics and claim to be more "ethical" than others. I love XRAY, they make great cars, have great product, and have great ads...in fact I talk to Mario all the time about Advertising, product placement, and what we feel works and doesn't.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Gear mesh.

Don't kill me for this if i missed it but is everyone shimming their diffs to get more or less gear mesh? or is the mesh good out of the box? if you are shimming what bag were the shims in lol.. I'm stupid and stuck on step 1. I'm too damm anal about stuff trying to make everything perfect.

Edit , i'm a dummy, found the shims. Going to try to shim the pinion side? Does that sound right?

Last edited by Backpain; 08-21-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Backpain
Don't kill me for this if i missed it but is everyone shimming their diffs to get more or less gear mesh? or is the mesh good out of the box? if you are shimming what bag were the shims in lol.. I'm stupid and stuck on step 1. I'm too damm anal about stuff trying to make everything perfect.

Edit , i'm a dummy, found the shims. Going to try to shim the pinion side? Does that sound right?

My build did not need any shims, but from what I'm hearing they are different with each build. The problem is you wont know if you need shims until after you build the diff, and drop it in the bulkhead. You want a smooth gear mesh, and the further the teeth are apart the better. i have been told that when the parts heat up, and spin at high RPM's they expand, and you get a tighter gear mesh, so you want it to just spin freely, with no friction or binding when you drop em in. If it is just too far away, or too close, then you need to take apart the diff and install the shims. Hope this helps. Good luck, jaz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.