Old 08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chad24
what are the stock swaybars that come with the 808
2.4mm Front
2.6mm Rear

Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84
how worn r ur guys out drive cups after about 3gallons? im getting some slop and figured it go longer then this befor needing to be replaced
My EC diff cups lasted all last racing season (about 12 gallons) but they are pretty worn. It's nothing to really worry about because they should wear pretty smoothly, as opposed to wearing in one spot and making acceleration through bumps rough. Basically, as long as you have a smooth surface that they're riding against you should be good. Post a pic if its really drastic.

Originally Posted by Backpain
My buddy I pitted with today had front diff bearing failures 3 times, with and without shields and freshly packed with grease. He had bought the car used and it had just had a fresh rebuild on the front diff prior to his purchase. I was bummed out for him as well nervous knowing my car will be here next thursday. I hope that they wont be finiky after rebuilds to where you need to replace the whole diff units after the first 1 or 2 bearing failures. I know theres a ton a variables that could add to the reason he was having issues but I figured I'd post it up anyway and let you guys know.
That's odd... Do you know if they diff was shimmed at all? How much did he tighten the 3 screws that hold the pinion in?

The answers should be:
No shims, the HUDY spring steel needs some room and lasts the longest with wider meshes (even clutch to spur mesh make wide).

Tighten the screws all the way, (hand tight, just to where they bottom out) and back out a half a turn.

Originally Posted by butch man
I got my kit today & will start the build tomarrow but nobody has any recomendation on preping the center diff cups & or dog bones?Just build straight out of the instructions & call it good?
I haven't had trouble, I would build it straight from the kit, but copy this setup to the 'T'!!!!

Starting Setup (Xray Forum)
(it that link doesn't work, try this one...)
Starting setup (photobucket)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I found a mistake in the instructions, for anyone who has not started the build yet. Page 23 step 2 of the steering assembly. Instructions show the front drive CVD will be sitting to the left, or in front of the front chassis brace. If you bolt on the front chassis brace with the CVD to the left, you will then have to unassemble the front chassis brace to move the CVD to the right. Be sure the CVD is to the right, or behind the Chassis brace, before you screw down the chassis brace!
Is this the pic that shows the screws that go into the front brace to the left of the shaft?

OK I'm really PO'd now. I got the bearing off! Yea. I have been sanding, and lubing the hex axle for 20 minutes now and it's still too big! Caliper has it at .010 MM bigger than the other one, which is just enough to stop the bearing from sliding over it. Time to call RC America!
Snap a pic of the issue and email it to me.
You try a different bearing? I have had issues in the past, and it actually came down to the bearings. If its, just .010mm (which should be well within tolerances at XRAY) it should be a bearing issue. Either way, give me a shout or email me!

[email protected]

Originally Posted by Backpain
Pablo , the owner owner of wolcott hobbies Lester Runs one as well as 2others. I'll ask them at the race tommorow what setup sheet they based their cars off of. I'm sure i can get you a baseline, but they might not pass on their exact setups. My 808 wont be here untill the 21st so I cant help on the setup for our track yet.lol Nor am i qualified..
I have run this setup on 5 different tracks in 3 different states, and didn't change a thing, and it has been LOVE in every situation.

If you have the aluminum rear pin holders, just go to 3* of anti-squat.

Copy this to the 'T'!!!!!!! Even the 5 hole rear shock pistons, these make the car!!

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
interesting "problem" with Avid brake disks after install...When i put them on, 2 race days ago, they seemed to fit the center outdrives quite tightly...I was hesitant to run them like this, but did, thinking they needed a "break-in" period. Well, as I said, after 2 race days they are still tight on the outdrives, causing the breaks to rub and periodically become inconsistent.

anybody else have this problem? If so, how long did it take to break them in so they did'nt bind?

Maybe i should just hit them with some sandpaper to take them down .001"???
Mine have a slight bind in them, but I'm just going to run them. One of my buddies that has an 808 barely hit the inside of them up with some sandpaper to them and they're great!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Now that's some customer service. Detailed.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Huligan
Now that's some customer service. Detailed.
Anything worth doing...... Hahaha

And we don't have any 808's to ship out, soooo.....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default thanks

thanks for all the help
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Again, nothing to complain about with my 808.

This last weekend, we had our 3rd and final race of the Pro series North division. and I proudly would like to report that I finished 2nd for intermediate 1/8th scale and 3rd over all for the year. I'll be seeing you guys in Texas for the finals. I guess I'll have to stop sand bagging and step up next year.

also, my original kit bearings are still in great condition after 6 gallons. I was so busy the last 2 weeks, I didn't even have time to do maintenance from the week before.

so, Rocco, how do I go about getting some sort of Xray sponsorship? you know, even a shirt would make me happy!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
The Mugen tank is a direct drop, but there is no splash guard.
Great Thanks. Its OK that it doesn't have a guard. At least I will be able to drive it. Any one try the Losi 8ight tank?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84
how worn r ur guys out drive cups after about 3gallons? im getting some slop and figured it go longer then this befor needing to be replaced
I have about 2 gallons on my buggy and was surprised at the wear at the outdrive cups...Little more than I thought. The pins are wearing well though. I did break my first parts on the car this past weekend...Didn't know it till I took it apart to clean and inspect. Both rear pins that go through the hex hubs were snapped clean in half. Think they are a little too hard...Anyone else broken these? Going to try to put a set of Mugen pins in...That being said, this car is tough as nails. While on the driver's stand my shirt got hung on a splinter hanging off the wood railing and it was sticking me in my stomach just as I was turning onto the front straight...I looked down for a second to see what the prob was and my buggy smacked pit lane WFO!! Thought for sure the front end would be hanging off it, but it was fine. Finished the race and got second!! Thumbs up Xray...Fixing to buy my second kit for parts.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
2.4mm Front
2.6mm Rear

My EC diff cups lasted all last racing season (about 12 gallons) but they are pretty worn. It's nothing to really worry about because they should wear pretty smoothly, as opposed to wearing in one spot and making acceleration through bumps rough. Basically, as long as you have a smooth surface that they're riding against you should be good. Post a pic if its really drastic.

That's odd... Do you know if they diff was shimmed at all? How much did he tighten the 3 screws that hold the pinion in?

The answers should be:
No shims, the HUDY spring steel needs some room and lasts the longest with wider meshes (even clutch to spur mesh make wide).

Tighten the screws all the way, (hand tight, just to where they bottom out) and back out a half a turn.

I haven't had trouble, I would build it straight from the kit, but copy this setup to the 'T'!!!!

Is this the pic that shows the screws that go into the front brace to the left of the shaft?

Snap a pic of the issue and email it to me.
You try a different bearing? I have had issues in the past, and it actually came down to the bearings. If its, just .010mm (which should be well within tolerances at XRAY) it should be a bearing issue. Either way, give me a shout or email me!

[email protected]

I have run this setup on 5 different tracks in 3 different states, and didn't change a thing, and it has been LOVE in every situation.

If you have the aluminum rear pin holders, just go to 3* of anti-squat.

Copy this to the 'T'!!!!!!! Even the 5 hole rear shock pistons, these make the car!!

Mine have a slight bind in them, but I'm just going to run them. One of my buddies that has an 808 barely hit the inside of them up with some sandpaper to them and they're great!
Yes, but strangely enough, on my instruction booklet, it has the front shaft sitting in front, or to the left, of the chassis brace! How odd. Where did you get that photo from?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here is the pic you are speaking of. I got mine off the web.From xray's web site. I might need to download the lastest manual I've had this one for a while.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Djballen

Here is the pic you are speaking of. I got mine off the web.From xray's web site. I might need to download the lastest manual I've had this one for a while.
That's it. that's my manual, just wanted to give people a heads up about that. Thank you for posting it, as I did not want to, lol!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If I can afford to maintain a Losi 8ight, should I be able to afford to maintain an Xray 808?

Basically, what I'm asking is do the costs even out between the two cars?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
If I can afford to maintain a Losi 8ight, should I be able to afford to maintain an Xray 808?

Basically, what I'm asking is do the costs even out between the two cars?

IMO after owning a 8ight for over 2 years, and maintaining it for racing on a weekly basis (mostly) my 808 is going to be WAY less.

Last edited by Steve Walters; 08-18-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm really close to getting an 808. Not because the Losi isn't good enough,(seriously, I'm garbage. I could suck with any car.) but because I have my gripes and would like to try something else. Preferably something European.

Even when you figure out the servo burn-out issues on the Losi,(I figured out the throttle servo burn-outs, but now I'm going through steering servos) it has kind of put a bad taste in my mouth with the amount I had to spend on servos.

I like the way the Losi performs, but I have always wanted an Xray. I had a feeling that it was just the initial price that made it seem like a more expensive car.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Lord

The Losi Kit was $549, the Xray $600, that small an amount shouldn't have stopped you from getting the Mercedes Benz, instead of the Saturn
Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

The Losi Kit was $549, the Xray $600, that small an amount shouldn't have stopped you from getting the Mercedes Benz, instead of the Saturn
LOL Dont you mean a Ferrari vs a Hyndai...??

....and I'm having a very hard time not starin at your honkers! LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.