New XRAY 808

Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default New to Xray. need help with my 808

looking to see what springs would be best to stock up on for a large outdoor track that sometimes gets blown out.

also where can i find some setups at. Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ericsp2
looking to see what springs would be best to stock up on for a large outdoor track that sometimes gets blown out.

also where can i find some setups at. Thanks
The gray-blue springs is a good start and Teamxray.com for setup sheets.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

interesting "problem" with Avid brake disks after install...When i put them on, 2 race days ago, they seemed to fit the center outdrives quite tightly...I was hesitant to run them like this, but did, thinking they needed a "break-in" period. Well, as I said, after 2 race days they are still tight on the outdrives, causing the breaks to rub and periodically become inconsistent.

anybody else have this problem? If so, how long did it take to break them in so they did'nt bind?

Maybe i should just hit them with some sandpaper to take them down .001"???
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

So I just drove my buddys new 808 last sunday & Oh my god,I'm in the process of geting one now.Out of the 5 brands I have had this is the one I've been searching for.What I dont understand after driving it is, why have I only seen 4 or 5 here in socal?Am I missing something behind the scenes,other than being a pipe & header or couple sets of wheels maybe even less than the other cars?

Any way wasnt gonna post till I see the talk about the mags a few posts back.We actually see the editors of RC car race with us out here & all 3 I see regularly are faster than me.I'm mid to upper sportsman class at club level & I watch the RCcar guys set-up & change their cars through out the day & impove their times.Those guys actually know whats what & if you talk to them at the track they tell you what they think without hiding it from everybody & come closest to that in their mag.If S.B. or A.W say it in the mag then all you gotta do is wait till they show up at the track & you'll see they practice what they preach & do it while spanking the lap times of me & my friends.

OK no more soap box,one question though is looking at my buddys center drive line is there an agreed upon mod to the center diff cups or dogbones that significantly reduces possable pinion bearing problems?It seems more than a couple people are getting bitten by those & after running losi for a while I am not the most trusting of smaller than 8x16 bearings right now or angled drive shafts.BTW my buddy has had no problems in about a gallon of learning the car but it seems murphys law has been my constant companion lately.

One last thing mag comment,Skinny is a fun guy to have at the track too.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Halfway through my build and I encountered a snag! Seems that one of my front hex axles (hudy steel) was slightly pitted and I didn't notice. Went to slide the bearing over it into the C-hub, and the dam bearing got stuck 1/4 way down the shaft! Now I cannot get it off, or slide it down, should I cut it off, and get another bearing, or try to force it off, and take a chance of ruining the shaft? I will obviously sand down the shaft, after I remove the bearing
Old 08-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Halfway through my build and I encountered a snag! Seems that one of my front hex axles (hudy steel) was slightly pitted and I didn't notice. Went to slide the bearing over it into the C-hub, and the dam bearing got stuck 1/4 way down the shaft! Now I cannot get it off, or slide it down, should I cut it off, and get another bearing, or try to force it off, and take a chance of ruining the shaft? I will obviously sand down the shaft, after I remove the bearing
Put the stuck parts in the freezer for a while, take them out, heat up the bearing and pull hard.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Wolcott CT 808 setups?

Does anyone here run or have run there 808 at Wolcott CT? There pro series dates is coming up and looking for setups for that track. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by pablo101; 08-16-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by sstoffer
Put the stuck parts in the freezer for a while, take them out, heat up the bearing and pull hard.

OK I'm really PO'd now. I got the bearing off! Yea. I have been sanding, and lubing the hex axle for 20 minutes now and it's still too big! Caliper has it at .010 MM bigger than the other one, which is just enough to stop the bearing from sliding over it. Time to call RC America!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Wolcott Hobbies

Pablo , the owner owner of wolcott hobbies Lester Runs one as well as 2others. I'll ask them at the race tommorow what setup sheet they based their cars off of. I'm sure i can get you a baseline, but they might not pass on their exact setups. My 808 wont be here untill the 21st so I cant help on the setup for our track yet.lol Nor am i qualified..
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Backpain
Pablo , the owner owner of wolcott hobbies Lester Runs one as well as 2others. I'll ask them at the race tommorow what setup sheet they based their cars off of. I'm sure i can get you a baseline, but they might not pass on their exact setups. My 808 wont be here untill the 21st so I cant help on the setup for our track yet.lol Nor am i qualified..
Thanks...if I can help w/setup on the pro-series weekend just ask. I'll be there with a buddy who also runs 808
Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Lord

I found a mistake in the instructions, for anyone who has not started the build yet. Page 23 step 2 of the steering assembly. Instructions show the front drive CVD will be sitting to the left, or in front of the front chassis brace. If you bolt on the front chassis brace with the CVD to the left, you will then have to unassemble the front chassis brace to move the CVD to the right. Be sure the CVD is to the right, or behind the Chassis brace, before you screw down the chassis brace!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
interesting "problem" with Avid brake disks after install...When i put them on, 2 race days ago, they seemed to fit the center outdrives quite tightly...I was hesitant to run them like this, but did, thinking they needed a "break-in" period. Well, as I said, after 2 race days they are still tight on the outdrives, causing the breaks to rub and periodically become inconsistent.

anybody else have this problem? If so, how long did it take to break them in so they did'nt bind?

Maybe i should just hit them with some sandpaper to take them down .001"???
No worries about them being tight. They always are and will loosen up eventually. Either way does not effect performance.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

I got my kit today & will start the build tomarrow but nobody has any recomendation on preping the center diff cups & or dog bones?Just build straight out of the instructions & call it good?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Lord

Build straight from the instructions and call it spectacular! Make note of the insert to the instruction manual. some of the sizes are off the turnbuckles
Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
The BCE 8x8 chassis is bolt on and go. no extra parts, nothing. Brandon did pretty well with his test chassis at JBRL.
Where can I find this chassis.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.