New XRAY 808

Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have about 1.5 gallons on my 808 and haven't had any problems thus far. One thing I appreciate about the car is I really don't have to worry about mechanical failure, it let's me play with the setup more and try to get faster with the car.

In a way I think your problem is a minor fix, considering how much we spend on these cars, to me it's a no brainer to throw in a completely new set of bearings for every gallon, especially considering how cheap bearings are these days.

Anyway, I built the car as per the instructions, box stock, no upgrades (except for an aluminum steering servo arm) and I've had zero failures. I think most other 808 owners have had a simular experience, mayber your friend just had an odd ball one in a million breakage.

One more note...I think we all need to remember that any 1/8th scale buggy is designed and built to perform in race situations. these are race cars and they will take a lot of abuse, they're not reliable honda mini vans.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not saying the car is bad lol, just saying this is an issue. It has been confirmed by many people, most of which have more than a few races.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

I know you're not knocking the car, I would be fustrated to if I had to replace 60 dollars worth of parts in one shot, I'm just saying in general that 1/8th scale racing is basically a money pit.

I have a friend who recently got into buggies after years and years of racing electric cars, I told him not to buy one unless he likes to spend lots of money and lots of time wrenching. Well he didn't experience sticker shot from the price of the car, but when it came to buying all the little extras he was a little shocked. (fuel bottle, fuel, clutch bearings, green slime, tires, wheels, glow ignitor, fuel filter oil etc etc.) Unfortunately he didn't listen to me when I told him to get either the Xray or the Losi, he got the AE car instead, and right out of the box he had to rebuild shock, he didn't bother to install the service pack...first time on track the front end broke...etc etc

I just think any buggy will require preventive maintenance
Old 07-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by julius_makewar
What affect to handling does using the lower shock mounting holes as opposed to the upper shock mounting holes on the shock towers?
That's a good question, I just went through the Xray setup guide and it doesn't mention what the difference is?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you use the lower shock mounting locations on the tower, you are supposed to match it with the outer shock mount location on the arms. It will give you a similar droop and give the shocks more leverage, feeling like one has installed heavier springs.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by julius_makewar
What affect to handling does using the lower shock mounting holes as opposed to the upper shock mounting holes on the shock towers?
The lower holes are used when using the outer holes on the arms.... it's to keep the droop settings the same without adjusting shock lengths!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bud of mine has the 808 with about 2.5 months worth of racing on it and it HAS BEEN WHIPPED HARD AND PUT AWAY WET!! And still as tight as when he built it ! I really like the durability of this car and how well it handles the rough stuff.
BUT I noticed it doesn't seem to have enough steering to carry smooth speed through technical sections of the track like a TQ-SX8 or Kyosho does?
How can you get more steering with out compromising bump handling and jumping ?
With the K car you can increase or decrease caster ,or make the camber links longer in the front , but you can't do this with the X-Ray or can you ?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Metalshield: Its interesting to see that you penny pinch over bearings and clean them out, where as I would rather have the best for my car and have new bearings - And you make a point of saying I don't maintain my car properly

I'd be lieing if I said I didn't screw up a jump every now and again, but if you don't do that at all why aren't you beating Adam Drake?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face Track types can play a roll in who sees this......

There is a lot to be said for where and how you run your car.
My car has been smooth as butter until I cased 1 jump just right. Another racer made me chage my line and so I lost a lot of speed then, like an idiot, I thought I could make it. Wrong....
Anyways, I noticed a bind in the drive train after that hit. Took the drive line apart to find the little pin in the front center CV was marred and slightly bent. The bearings moved but were fine. I relubed the CVD and rebuilt it with a new pin and was good to go. I thought this was the same problem you guys have been discussing. It was!
There were scoring marks in the bottom of my center diff cups.

For now I did a temp fix until Xray adresses this issue. I went to the bench grinder and ground down the ball on the bone end of the center shafts. Not much but just a little to provide some relief. Then I cut the slots just a little deeper to provide clearance for the pins. Again we are talking about 2mm total.
I would like to see some shorter shafts or deeper cups for the center drive line. Also, a pivot ball chassis brace may be in order. This would provide fore to aft rigidity (over the plastic brace) without sacrificing side to side flex.

Its a new car there are going to be little things like this. No big deal.
My .02......
Hope this helps.
TEX
<------- Not done yet!
Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am going to get an 808 I read that a 808 based truggy is not coming out (soon) does anybody have a idea when (end of 08, next spring, next summer) I like buggies and run two classes but truggies are my favorite class to run.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ah
Metalshield: Its interesting to see that you penny pinch over bearings and clean them out, where as I would rather have the best for my car and have new bearings - And you make a point of saying I don't maintain my car properly

I'd be lieing if I said I didn't screw up a jump every now and again, but if you don't do that at all why aren't you beating Adam Drake?
Penny Pinch! LOL its called being smart! I save money sure, but this method of cleaning the bearings works great. I was trying to help you save cash... yeah but never mind your the guy the replaces "scratched" parts. ((???))

XRAY will be winning the Worlds this year! sry Drake.

Last edited by MetalShield; 07-27-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mremtr
Bud of mine has the 808 with about 2.5 months worth of racing on it and it HAS BEEN WHIPPED HARD AND PUT AWAY WET!! And still as tight as when he built it ! I really like the durability of this car and how well it handles the rough stuff.
BUT I noticed it doesn't seem to have enough steering to carry smooth speed through technical sections of the track like a TQ-SX8 or Kyosho does?
How can you get more steering with out compromising bump handling and jumping ?
With the K car you can increase or decrease caster ,or make the camber links longer in the front , but you can't do this with the X-Ray or can you ?
caster is or will be available through optional blocks that may be already available.... roll center is changable at the tower. but no lenghth adjustments..

You can try to loosen the rear diff oil.. or tighten up the front... dont go too much without testing... these things should help...
could try laying down the shock in the front one more hole.. this transfers wieght to wheels quicker..

But overall Have you tried Rocco's setup? I really like it alot better than the box.. box was good but Rocco's was just that much better.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

sos far, I'm having great sucess with my 808. No complaints here, except I noticed that my center rear drive shaft is bent. I don't know how this even happened? Too much torque? Chassis flex? Anyone else notice this? or have any ideas?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I noticed that my rear driveshaft has startet to hit the enginemount. Can it be the bearings that's worn out?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.