Wiki Posts
Search

Car or fingers ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Car or fingers ?

Hello guys, today i had a good talk with a friend related to "Cars v/s Fingers" as a main factor for winning races.

Personally and as we say in my country "its the Indian and not the arrow", for me a perfect car helps a lot, but is not THE key factor for winning races, if you take any top top driver and put it on another brand (good ones), maybe will take a while to get use to the new platform, but at some point it will show again his/her skills on the track ...

What you think about this ? ...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I say 50/50 really. Bottom line, you have to enjoy driving whatever you have. If you don't enjoy it, it's never going to drive how you want it to. I ran the X6 when it was first released. Awesome build, awesome durability, but hated driving it. It simply never made me happy. Since that season, I have run the D8 series. Build is acceptable, good durability, and have been much more happy. I truly can't explain it, but they just made me feel better and more confident. Ran D8 for two seasons now, and this year I'm changing yet again, to AE...time will tell. I havn't run it yet, but the build was fantastic.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I ran XRAY for 2 years before switching. No matter what I did or what I tried I could not get it to turn tight off power which is how I drive. I've gotten much faster since switching to a car that fits my driving style better. I am middle pack intermediate at best. I would say car is half the battle.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

1. Driving skill is top. Without that, you can have the fastest, most bulletproof car in the world and still be lapped traffic or DNF.

2. More than "the right car", it is "the right car for your driving style". Certain models cater to a driver that likes to drive with a precision throttle and steering input. Other models cater to a driver that likes to go balls to the wall. So many times I see someone with with a car win a major race, and then everyone buys that car and wonders why it doesn't work for them the same way it worked for that driver.

3. Durability. I won't name names or brands here, but we all know you can't win if you don't finish. Most cars are now generally up to snuff, but some are weaker than others in key areas.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Driver 50%
Mechanic 30%
Car 20%

Since almost all of us are our own mechanic 80% fingers and 20% car IMO
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

Most times the engineer is also the driver so a lot comes from the same fingers

Finding a setup is sometimes difficult and must come with compromises, those compromises must be compromised with the fingers. And it is prooven that a stable car doesn't have to be a fast car, I have seen unstable cars setting pole and taking the win.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lknracer
1. Driving skill is top. Without that, you can have the fastest, most bulletproof car in the world and still be lapped traffic or DNF.

2. More than "the right car", it is "the right car for your driving style". Certain models cater to a driver that likes to drive with a precision throttle and steering input. Other models cater to a driver that likes to go balls to the wall. So many times I see someone with with a car win a major race, and then everyone buys that car and wonders why it doesn't work for them the same way it worked for that driver.

3. Durability. I won't name names or brands here, but we all know you can't win if you don't finish. Most cars are now generally up to snuff, but some are weaker than others in key areas.
I would agree w/ these statements. I think a "Pro" driver could pick up any rig and Top 3 an A-Main in any club race. I say Top 3 b/c I take into account facing guys who have their "own" rig and home field advantage. Also, I consider a Pro using the qualifiers to get used to the track and tweak the car to HIS feel.

I guess that's the difference between Pro's and Joe's (among other things) - tweaking a random car to YOUR feel vice tweaking your feel to a random car.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

The Indian is the most important !!!! not the Arrow
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Driver 90%
Car 10%

The car is only as good as the driver. I've had pros and really fast guys drive my car and have them say "your cars is Great" but Im still a marginal driver at best.

"Its not the arrows, its the DRIVER"
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

There really isn't a correct answer. The car to driver relationship is quite dynamic. You cannot have on without the other.

Think of it this way, ignoring all "luck" or chance. If you take two identically good cars and put a good and bad driver behind them, the good driver will always win. Then go the other way: take two identical drivers with the same exact abilities and give one an advantage with a car, and the better car will always win.

If you want to add in the luck/chance aspect, then the better driver/better car will still win the majority of the time.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

The indian blames the arrow for missing...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I agree with Driver 80%, car 10%, sweet paint... the balance
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm closer to the 75/25 and believe 100% that the driver is at least 75% of the equation. Most do their own work on setups as well. I think car to car can be the difference between podiums and wins at that point.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Tech Champion

It depends on the driver really. There are some drivers that need a lot of time to get used to a car and others who will accomodate very fast. Once you're good the car doesn't really matter, you should be able to find a setup that works for you. But some drivers were never able to get used to a buggy, even in a pro level. Look at Savoya when he drove the DNX408, he never managed to do a good result and went back to Xray.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am living proof that the MAJOR factor in the equation is the fingers.
The greatest vehicle in the world is useless in the hands of some one that crashes several times per race. It would seem that I have 10 thumbs and NO fingers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.