Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Center diff. id.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Center diff. id.

I won this off Ebay. It was described as "Ofna super diff". "New ofna spider diff.".
Took it apart and I don't think thats what it is.
Anyone know what it is from/for?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Center diff. id.-diff2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It looks like a super diff. It would have to be a torsen diff, but for what model, I don't know. Its not for the Ofna 9.5, as I had one of those diffs. Most of the Ofna diffs had a collar, not a split center housing with a o-ring from what I know

Last edited by ezveedub; 02-06-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

I had a Ofna front torsen years ago in my worlds II. If I remember right it had helical cut gears in it. These are straight cut gears (maybe a different type of torsen?). It also came with a larger truggy spur gear (did not count teeth yet). I only paid $.99 for it so if it's not anything good I won't cry.
Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its a planetary gear setup, which is something not used on any current buggy that I know of (and I know of most of them). It doesn't look to have any type of limited slip device in the design. I can't say what it is out of for sure, but if I had to guess it may have come out of an old hyper (hobao) buggy because I have seen aluminum diff cases used by them before.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OFNA has a forum at http://www.ofna.com/forum/. I'm sure if you post it there you will get an answer.

I've had a couple OFNA's and it doesn't look familiar at all. Like you said their spyder diffs have spiral cut gears and a different case. This one is totally different. If it is from an OFNA I'm guessing it's out of an old monster truck. If you do find out let us know.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Actually, now that I really look at the gears, they're not helical or worm gears, just regular straight cut gears. That appears to be a regular diff, with no torque bias action at all.